PDA

View Full Version : 'An Era Comes To A Close'

Panther_99FS
April 23rd, 2010, 18:10
http://www.barksdale.af.mil/news/story.asp?id=123201397

lifejogger
April 23rd, 2010, 18:15
That is sad to see an old tradition like that end, to bad they moved the program. What is to become of the house?

Ken Stallings
April 23rd, 2010, 18:20
I don't know what the housing situation is like at Barksdale, but if possible, it would be particularly nice if that house could be turned into a museum with artifacts supplied by all of the previous RAF inhabitants. I think that would be particularly special.

Cheers,

Ken

Panther_99FS
April 23rd, 2010, 18:22
I'll see if I can get a picture of the house without causing too much ruckus (since it's in "officer country" :d )

Henry
April 23rd, 2010, 18:26
actually met a few of them
joined the local yacht club
cos us brits may or may not have something in common
but always enjoyed them

H

Ken Stallings
April 23rd, 2010, 18:35
actually met a few of them
joined the local yacht club
cos us brits may or may not have something in common
but always enjoyed them

H

Brits enjoying sailing -- now that's perhaps among the most essential of quintessential British talents! Can there really be anything more British than wind-powered boating!

ken

djscoo
April 23rd, 2010, 18:40
Brits enjoying sailing -- now that's perhaps among the most essential of quintessential British talents! Can there really be anything more British than wind-powered boating!

ken

More British you say?
James May sailing a Triumph Herald perhaps...
nl3bsL7Nbnk

Henry
April 23rd, 2010, 18:41

ken
actually its holiday in Dixie here
and we got a couple of them sailing
stiff upper lip and all that:salute:
H

jmig
April 23rd, 2010, 18:52
I'll see if I can get a picture of the house without causing too much ruckus (since it's in "officer country" :d )

Need me to come help you P?

:d

Henry
April 23rd, 2010, 18:59
just wear a necktie
no one will know
lol
H

Snuffy
April 23rd, 2010, 19:06
:salute:

Ken Stallings
April 24th, 2010, 09:46
just wear a necktie
no one will know
lol
H

Oh that would make him stand out like a sore thumb. In today's AF only the SNCO wear neckties!

Ken

Panther_99FS
April 24th, 2010, 11:07
:icon_lol::icon_lol:

Henry
April 24th, 2010, 14:04
i guess the Raf is the same
what happened?
H

Ken Stallings
April 24th, 2010, 18:01
i guess the Raf is the same
what happened?
H

I think finally folks in the US realized that what's smart uniforms in Northern Europe (with its vastly milder and colder climate) is torture for the United States.

How and why people went so long wearing wool coats and ties boggles my mind!

I think the military simply went toward a more utilitarian view about uniforms. Dress to work vice dress to impress -- that sort of thing.

There are some in the bowels of the Pentagon who seem to want to change that. But, I am thankful my career was spent when flightsuits and BDU's were everyday wear.

Cheers,

Ken