PDA

View Full Version : Any Interest in a New SOH Project - F7F-1

Milton Shupe
April 21st, 2010, 15:47
Seems there is a demand for a more up to date F7F. Not sure if there is one around, and if so great.

If not, I would consider doing an F7F as an SOH FS2004 project if there is enough interest for participation.

Your thoughts please.

falcon409
April 21st, 2010, 15:55
That would be awesome Milton. Steve Hinton flew one up from Cavenaugh Flight Museum while we were working on their P-51 a few years ago. . .man what a great looking airplane. Wish I would have had my camera with me. It was the first time I'd ever seen one. . .very impressive.

PRB
April 21st, 2010, 15:56
[Picks jaw up off the floor] Umm, yes!!

OBIO
April 21st, 2010, 15:57
Milton

I have the sound pack covered, if that helps at all.

OBIO

Matt Wynn
April 21st, 2010, 16:09
oh gods yes! count me in on that idea! always did love the tigercat :jump::jump:

Flyboy208
April 21st, 2010, 16:13
That would be absolutely wonderful Milton! Mike :jump:

modelr
April 21st, 2010, 16:16
Oh yeh! Would really love to see/participate in another SOH project. And one of my favs. On my R/C list of definite to-dos. :applause::jump::jump:

Thanks for bringing this one up, Milton

Moses03
April 21st, 2010, 16:23
Very much so Milton. Be great to have an updated one for RTW racing and such.

Bomber_12th
April 21st, 2010, 16:33
That would be awesome, Milton! If any help is needed, I would love to lend a hand - I can definitely see Damian having a blast with doing the texture work, if he decides to participate.

Felixthreeone
April 21st, 2010, 16:33
YES!!!!! WOOOOHOOOOO!!!!!

Matt Wynn
April 21st, 2010, 16:35
That would be awesome, Milton! If any help is needed, I would love to lend a hand - I can definitely see Damian having a blast with doing the texture work, if he decides to participate.

I'd love to pitch in on texture work.... admittedly i'm kinda useless (See my FSX Edge 540's in the FSX Library) but would love to help where i can...

OBIO
April 21st, 2010, 16:38
I'd love to pitch in on texture work.... admittedly i'm kinda useless (See my FSX Edge 540's in the FSX Library) but would love to help where i can...

Sometimes self awareness can be brutal to one's self worth LOL!

OBIO

wbuchart
April 21st, 2010, 16:58
First answer, Oh Yeah, I'd be very interested. Second answer, most of us would be very interested in any project you would be willing to do....

Tako_Kichi
April 21st, 2010, 17:07
Sounds like a great idea but could it also be made for the dark side (FSX) at the same time?

IIRC isn't in only the animations and materials that change? The main Gmax/Max model could be used as the source for both.

WarHorse47
April 21st, 2010, 17:08
Yes, I'm interested.... :jump:

--WH

Sundog
April 21st, 2010, 17:12
Yes.

whitehawk_2009
April 21st, 2010, 17:19
I don't know how, but if I can, I'd help!

WH

Dangerousdave26
April 21st, 2010, 17:21
Well I am not a modeler but I have Gmax installed

I am not a painter although I can use Gimp to do some image editing

I am pretty good at doing research and tracking down information that I need although I have never researched aircraft.

I do have a good amount of time on my hands.

I have a fairly good camera

I would be willing to help out anywhere I can.

HorusJ
April 21st, 2010, 17:21
A F7F that has all the great talents and qualities of the Invader?Extremely interested!

Duckie
April 21st, 2010, 17:52
YESSIREEBOB!

Duckie

fliger747
April 21st, 2010, 18:44
Would be a great project! If I could be of any help, count me in!

Cheers: T

Curtis P40
April 21st, 2010, 18:49
Yes Sir.
Curt

sctybdy
April 21st, 2010, 19:37
A Tigercat Coming out of Milton Shupe's workshop would easily make Thousands and Thousands of us FSimmers very happy people. No Pressure here, but my wife is going to be pissed when she finds my keyboard covered in saliva.

mvg3d
April 21st, 2010, 22:02
WOW !!!!
:applause::applause::applause::applause::applause: :applause::applause::applause:

bpfowler
April 21st, 2010, 22:09
I live near the tigercat at paine field in Everett. any thing I can do, holla.

harrybasset
April 21st, 2010, 22:14
Milton I'd love a Tigercat to your standards, especially a 3N.

andersel
April 21st, 2010, 22:54
I don't have the skills to be much of a help on the build, but support you all. Love to see a Tiger cat for FS ( both FS2004 and FSX). LA

expat
April 22nd, 2010, 00:20
Wonderful idea. Can't beat a Grumman! And by THE "A - TEAM" to boot!

expat

Sascha66
April 22nd, 2010, 01:27
Woohoo! That mean machine is one of my all-time favorite warbirds!

You already have so many feathers in your cap you must look like a Sioux warchief!

:medals::medals::medals:

full
April 22nd, 2010, 03:32
Thats a YES from me ! If I can help just let me know.

Wild Bill Kelso
April 22nd, 2010, 04:21
1. It's made by Grumman Iron Works.
2. It's powered by the most amazing mechanism men ever created - the P&W R 2800!

How could I refuse to participate?

If I can be of any help - count me in!

Cheers,
Markus.

Mick
April 22nd, 2010, 05:21
I would be interested!

I'd be especially interested if the project involved both early, "round" tail versions (-1 and -2) as well as the later "square" tail versions (-3 and -4.)

And of course the two-seat, radar-equipped night fighters would be great to have.

And maybe even a drone controller wit the elevated Bearcat canopy over the back seat...

We wouldn't need all the variants right away; we could start with one or two of the most common versions, and add other models alter, as with the A-26 project.

I'd be willing to help with the painting, though there are painters here who do much better work than I do...

I could also help with the research for the various paints, even if someone more accomplished did the actual painting.

Anyway, however it shapes up, I really like the Tigercat. The old AlphaSims model is a favorite, though it pains me that the way the tail is mapped makes authentic paints of most liveries impossible. I'd be really happy to see a state of the art F7F as an SOH project!

fde_bressy
April 22nd, 2010, 05:30
Eventually think about a CFS II version i.e. a DP file, for which I can eventually help for the Weapons section

norab
April 22nd, 2010, 07:45
have some slight talents in repainting and can do reasearch any way I can help I would be willing to :salute:, sounds like a great project for a great plane:jump:

BillgjCook
April 22nd, 2010, 08:45
5328532553265327I have some good photos that I have taken of one.
http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/images/misc/pencil.png

Fnerg
April 22nd, 2010, 09:30
Oh ya that would be great!!:wiggle:

edmoore235
April 22nd, 2010, 10:18
Well, yes indeed. All projects by you are just GREAT! Both FS9 & FSX. I can't model, or paint or do anything worthwhile but if ya need some good coffee - now that I can help with......

Ed

gribouil
April 22nd, 2010, 10:43
Don't know if I can provide any help but I woulb delighted to fly it! :applause:

LOBO
April 22nd, 2010, 11:03
Milton,

If rusty brushes are allowed I will gladly help wherever I can.

LOBO

PilatusTurbo
April 22nd, 2010, 11:06
Oh LAWD!!! A Tigercat?!?!? Made my Milton and Team? This has me more excited that even our venerable A-26. Please, I implore you, do this! :d

I would love a Tigercat up to modern 'Milton and Team' standards. :ernae:

PilatusTurbo
April 22nd, 2010, 11:12
Here's a little incentive; doesn't this machine just look like it's not messin' around? Two R-2800's yanking this relatively small airframe around?...

http://i70.photobucket.com/albums/i101/PilatusTurbo/Grumman_F7F-3N_Tigercat.jpg

Taco
April 22nd, 2010, 11:57
Hi Milton,

I would be interested in a F7F also. I have some pictures of the different part of the F7F that is in the Pima Air Museum if you need them just let me know.

Jim (taco) from the other side of the state.

[/QUOTE]

Sundog
April 22nd, 2010, 12:03
BTW, I should have mentioned, it's the FDE I would work on.

flyboyhunt05
April 22nd, 2010, 13:29
Yes, that would be amazing. I would love to see another Tigercat in the FS world.

hawkeye52
April 22nd, 2010, 13:57
Well, I can see that I've arrived late to this party. Reading through the responses it appears that there are AT LEAST three volunteers for every task. That, and the fact that I can neither paint, model, FDE or even tweak means I'll have to sit on the sidelines and
CHEER!

A Shuper F7F will warm the cockles of this ol' Grummanite's heart.

- Hawkeye52

Willy
April 22nd, 2010, 15:07
Let's see..

1) it's by Milton
2) it's Navy
3) it's a carrier aircraft
4) it's a Grumman
5) it's a SOH project
6) and it's a F7F?

Heck yes! There's a half dozen reasons that I'm interested!

Milton Shupe
April 22nd, 2010, 16:04
Thank you all for your interest and for the kind comments, and for volunteering to assist in so many ways.

Our current AT-11 project has about 8 weeks work left in it so we have some time to get prepared.

Meanwhile, I have excellent 3-views for the F7F already loaded and the fuselage started just as a test.

At this point, data collection for modeling reference, future paint options, performance specs, and cockpit photos are essential.

My thinking at this point is to build an F7F-1 as the base model for FS9. Other versions can be built from the base once the exterior is done.

I will be happy to share the gmax source for other modelers who may wish to do the -2, -3, etc. variants, and to build a FSX native version.

I use fairly basic mapping techniques but there are better techniques available for FS9 and FSX. If someone would like to do the exterior mapping, that is fine with me.

I can do the interior model (VC) however if someone would like to step up to do a higher quality VC than I usually do, I would welcome that as well.

Once mapping and templates are done, a paint kit would be the next order of business and we will need someone to step up to that.

Fliger_747 usually does our flight models but I haven't spoken to him on that at this point. Having a few people involved for development and testing, tweaking, and finalizing may be a good idea. We just need a point man.

For the 6-8 cockpit photos I have seen, none are alike. Deciding on what to use for the F7F-1 versus the -2 or -3 or -3N will take some research and study. I would like to see a few of you take this on trying to keep the results down to a max of two for modeling simplicity. I prefer one myself. See attached.

For data collection. I cannot think of a better way to store that then to start a thread in the Design forum. I will do that. It might be good to keep things topically separate.

The big challenge for me is to complete the AT-11.

For the F7F project, the current challenges are to collect appropriate data for modeling reference, gauge development, sound reference, paint schemes, and performance. For those who hace access to RW F7F's, the pictures that tend to help most are ones we see least, the cockpit, all aspects, sidewalls, floor, rear, etc., high quality. Secondly, pictures of control surfaces, pivot points, doors, skiding channels for cockpit canopy, good gear shots, underneath surfaces, etc. Any detail beyond a flat panel is important. If you can help with these pictures, we can improve accuracy of detail.

I will continue comments in the Design thread.

Please post any data collection items there: http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/showthread.php?t=35327&p=400259#post400259

Thank you all :)

mike678
April 22nd, 2010, 17:42
I'm a huge F7F fan. I was very disappointed when the F7F faded off Vertigo Studio's FSX to do list. This project is great news.

The best reference on the F7F I've come across is Naval Fighters #75 by Corky Meyer & Steve Ginter ISBN 0-942612-75-2.

It has 177 pages with very detailed photos & technical drawings including lots of cockpit shots. Corky Meyer was the Grumman project test pilot for the F7F and there are lots of stories that include handling details.

Sundog
April 22nd, 2010, 18:16
I'm a huge F7F fan. I was very disappointed when the F7F faded off Vertigo Studio's FSX to do list. This project is great news.

The best reference on the F7F I've come across is Naval Fighters #75 by Corky Meyer & Steve Ginter ISBN 0-942612-75-2.

It has 177 pages with very detailed photos & technical drawings including lots of cockpit shots. Corky Meyer was the Grumman project test pilot for the F7F and there are lots of stories that include handling details.

Anything by Corky Meyer is excellent. I tend to have the more esoteric stuff, but does that volume have actual flight test report data in it, such as performance graphs, etc?

ThinkingManNeil
April 22nd, 2010, 18:28
I saw a Tigercat make a couple of appearances at the old Hamilton International Airshow when it was at its best back in the late 1980's and early 90's, but I have to confess I was too busy drooling over Kermit Weeks' B.35 Mosquito and the sixteen or so Mustangs that showed up to really pay much attention to it. But what did finally catch my attention earlier this year was a video of an F7F putting on a demo at Chino. If the sound that this airplane makes when running at full-tilt boogie doesn't send chills down your back like it did mine, then there's no hope for you my friend:

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/e1IM6nXsdQc&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/e1IM6nXsdQc&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

N.

Moses03
April 22nd, 2010, 18:49
Milton- Check page 11 of this thread over at WIX. Some nice hi res photos.

http://www.warbirdinformationexchange.org/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=13327&start=150

Milton Shupe
April 22nd, 2010, 19:31
Milton- Check page 11 of this thread over at WIX. Some nice hi res photos.

http://www.warbirdinformationexchange.org/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=13327&start=150

Ahhh, great stuff there Moses; thanks.

BillgjCook
April 23rd, 2010, 04:40
Hi I have some big 3264x2448 photo of one that was at Fallon Airshow last year that I can zip for you. Many Detailed photos as I was thinking of modeling one myself.

johndetrick
April 23rd, 2010, 04:57
I'm all for another Marine bird represented. My repaint fingers are getting twitchy over this one. I would love to help with doing the skins for this.

Milton Shupe
April 23rd, 2010, 05:24
Hi I have some big 3264x2448 photo of one that was at Fallon Airshow last year that I can zip for you. Many Detailed photos as I was thinking of modeling one myself.

That sounds great Bill. And if you would like to participate in modeling a variant for this project, that would also be great.

Milton Shupe
April 23rd, 2010, 05:26

Where can I get access to this Mike?

Milton Shupe
April 23rd, 2010, 05:27
I'm all for another Marine bird represented. My repaint fingers are getting twitchy over this one. I would love to help with doing the skins for this.

Would love to involve you John. Thanks for jumping in.

Milton Shupe
April 23rd, 2010, 05:27
I saw a Tigercat make a couple of appearances at the old Hamilton International Airshow when it was at its best back in the late 1980's and early 90's, but I have to confess I was too busy drooling over Kermit Weeks' B.35 Mosquito and the sixteen or so Mustangs that showed up to really pay much attention to it. But what did finally catch my attention earlier this year was a video of an F7F putting on a demo at Chino. If the sound that this airplane makes when running at full-tilt boogie doesn't send chills down your back like it did mine, then there's no hope for you my friend:

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/e1IM6nXsdQc&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/e1IM6nXsdQc&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

N.

LOL YUP! Nice video.

Moses03
April 23rd, 2010, 05:51
F7F manual for cheap:

http://cgi.ebay.com/GRUMMAN-F7F-TIGERCAT-PILOT-FLIGHT-MANUAL-/390169013059?cmd=ViewItem&pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item5ad7e2ab43

jkcook28
April 23rd, 2010, 07:28
Where can I get access to this Mike?

Here's 3 links Milton:

cheapest one- http://www.aptcollectibles.com/planes/bkproduct_description.php?prodnum=GB-NF75

http://www.ginterbooks.com/NAVAL/NF75.htm

http://www.cybermodeler.com/hobby/ref/gin/book_gin_f7f.shtml

Milton Shupe
April 23rd, 2010, 09:48
Here's 3 links Milton:

cheapest one- http://www.aptcollectibles.com/planes/bkproduct_description.php?prodnum=GB-NF75

http://www.ginterbooks.com/NAVAL/NF75.htm

http://www.cybermodeler.com/hobby/ref/gin/book_gin_f7f.shtml

Thanks, got it! :jump:

stansdds
April 23rd, 2010, 09:52
I am very interested in having a new F7F, but FSX (SP2 Accel) compatible.

thunder100
April 23rd, 2010, 10:59
Hi Milton

I could do the effects if in demand(flames/smoke) once you have the exhaust stack coordinates

Roland

Starliner/Constellation team member

BillgjCook
April 23rd, 2010, 11:01
Hi Milton I would love to help in modeling a fire fighter varent if posable. How should I send you the zip file of photos?

huub vink
April 23rd, 2010, 11:53
Very nice choice and exiting to see a joint SOH effort coming to life again. Although I'm pretty useless for real complex things, is there anything you want me to do?

Cheers,
Huub

sctybdy
April 23rd, 2010, 12:46
Looks like Milton has lit a fire up here in FS land. If I can be of any help, I'd love to hop on board the F7F project also. I could lend a hand in beta testing flight dynamics etc. Aside from being a 'realife' Pilot, I also have large collection of written Material on the F7F and other Grumman "Cats" and quite a bit written by Corky Meyers- Grumman Test Pilot.

fliger747
April 23rd, 2010, 12:51
Corky's book is a good read!

Cheers: T

sctybdy
April 23rd, 2010, 13:11
Milton,
It just ocurred to me that there may be a need for some Financial support for this project. While I didnt win the lottery this week, I'd be happy to put up a donation to help get things rolling. If you already have a donation site set up, let me know.

Milton Shupe
April 23rd, 2010, 14:52
I am very interested in having a new F7F, but FSX (SP2 Accel) compatible.

While I cannot do the FSX native build, I will make the gmax source available for anyone who wishes to map and animate for FSX. The "fliger747" FM will be tested on both sides. The sounds should be useable both sides.

Milton Shupe
April 23rd, 2010, 14:53
Hi Milton

I could do the effects if in demand(flames/smoke) once you have the exhaust stack coordinates

Roland

Starliner/Constellation team member

I appreciate that Roland. Thank you for offering.

Milton Shupe
April 23rd, 2010, 14:54
Hi Milton I would love to help in modeling a fire fighter varent if posable. How should I send you the zip file of photos?

Thank you Sir. Can you upload to one of the free sites? or, send in <10MB quantities to my email addy.

Milton Shupe
April 23rd, 2010, 14:57
Very nice choice and exiting to see a joint SOH effort coming to life again. Although I'm pretty useless for real complex things, is there anything you want me to do?

Cheers,
Huub

We are just beginning data collection so there is a lot of potential from here. If down the road, you are available, it would be great to see your artistry applied to the F7F. I am uncertain in what other areas you have expertise.

Milton Shupe
April 23rd, 2010, 15:00
Looks like Milton has lit a fire up here in FS land. If I can be of any help, I'd love to hop on board the F7F project also. I could lend a hand in beta testing flight dynamics etc. Aside from being a 'realife' Pilot, I also have large collection of written Material on the F7F and other Grumman "Cats" and quite a bit written by Corky Meyers- Grumman Test Pilot.

Well, thank you very much for your interest. "fliger747" (also a RW pilot) is doing the flight model and I'm sure once we have something to test, you would be a welcome part of the alpha and beta test team. Thank you.

Milton Shupe
April 23rd, 2010, 15:02
Milton,
It just ocurred to me that there may be a need for some Financial support for this project. While I didnt win the lottery this week, I'd be happy to put up a donation to help get things rolling. If you already have a donation site set up, let me know.

Thank you for your willingness to help in any way. This is a freeware project and personally, I do not accept monetary donations. I have just purchased the aforementioned book and that should fill a lot of voids. :jump:

Milton Shupe
April 23rd, 2010, 15:06
Well, I can see that I've arrived late to this party. Reading through the responses it appears that there are AT LEAST three volunteers for every task. That, and the fact that I can neither paint, model, FDE or even tweak means I'll have to sit on the sidelines and
CHEER!

A Shuper F7F will warm the cockles of this ol' Grummanite's heart.

- Hawkeye52

I assure you that we will needs lots of this before completion. Thanks to all. :)

falcon409
April 23rd, 2010, 16:07
Milton, anything I can do to assist, I'd be glad to help, even if it's just checking typo's in the panel or consoles, lol.:salute:

Milton Shupe
April 23rd, 2010, 16:42
Milton, anything I can do to assist, I'd be glad to help, even if it's just checking typo's in the panel or consoles, lol.:salute:

Thank you ... any place you feel you can help would be appreciated. It takes lots of eyes and effort to deal with the many aspects of a project like this. Be involved.

aeromed202
April 23rd, 2010, 16:56
I've never been part of an FS project but can't think of a better place to start. Let me know if I can be of use.

Tom Clayton
April 23rd, 2010, 17:12
As usual, I'm late in seeing this, but I'd love to do what I can to help with the beta process. And I'll try to did around on the net for some decent pics.

sctybdy
April 23rd, 2010, 18:01
Thank you for your willingness to help in any way. This is a freeware project and personally, I do not accept monetary donations. I have just purchased the aforementioned book and that should fill a lot of voids. :jump:

Should any purchases for the project be needed such as the Books or research material, I'll be happy to chip in. For the Hundreds of Hours I've spent as a beneficiary of your work, I would be honored to help defray some of the cost's.

N2056
April 23rd, 2010, 18:02
For me the Tigercat was the first plane that I remember as a kid many years ago. We were at the airport in Ramona, Ca. which is a base for the firebombers. There was a fire at the time, and I remember watching the Tigercats that they were using at the time take off to do battle. I might have been 5 at the time.

Even at that young age modeling was in my blood, as I promptly rendered them at home using tinkertoys :d

Once you guys get it solid for FS9 I'd love to work on the FSX version.

Milton Shupe
April 23rd, 2010, 19:19
For me the Tigercat was the first plane that I remember as a kid many years ago. We were at the airport in Ramona, Ca. which is a base for the firebombers. There was a fire at the time, and I remember watching the Tigercats that they were using at the time take off to do battle. I might have been 5 at the time.

Even at that young age modeling was in my blood, as I promptly rendered them at home using tinkertoys :d

Once you guys get it solid for FS9 I'd love to work on the FSX version.

Robert, that sounds great to me. My intention is to do the base version, the F7F-1 for FS9. Hopefully someone will jump on that gmax source at the right time and do a FS9 version -2, -3, -4 variants. The hard part will be to keep basic mapping the same for all variants while changing the fuselage and other variant major differences.

There are also cockpit differences with each variant and I am not sure how that might play out right now. That would make the VC's more complicated if we stayed true to each.

At any rate, if you want to take the F7F-1 when ready, you are welcomed to it, and I really do appreciate your offer. :applause:

TomSteber
April 23rd, 2010, 19:55
I'm also late jumping in here and I don't have any skills to apply here, but I'm VERY excited about the thought of flying a Tigercat (for FS9) done to the standards that Milton has done in the past.
:applause::applause::applause::applause:
Love it, LOVE IT!!!!!!!

Guruswarmyoz
April 23rd, 2010, 20:31
To pre-empt everyone who will ask this over the coming months:

"Is it finnished and ready to download yet??????????????????????" :salute:
Please no one mention the soon word......

pilottj
April 23rd, 2010, 20:48
I would reinstall FS9 for a chance to fly a quality F7F :) and I am sure it would find its way to FSX with the talented folks here.

PilatusTurbo
April 23rd, 2010, 22:21
As with the A-26, I'm on-board for whatever is requested of me. I love these aircraft you guys churn out, so if I can help, just PM me or post here. I can beta test, and do a little panel cfg and aircraft cfg work. I became a bit used to and good at dealing with contact points and gear compression from you, Milton.

As I said, anyway I can help. I can not wait for this gorgeous beast! :ernae:

stansdds
April 24th, 2010, 03:59
Milton, I'm PMing you regarding a book I have.

huub vink
April 24th, 2010, 04:39
There are also cockpit differences with each variant and I am not sure how that might play out right now. That would make the VC's more complicated if we stayed true to each.

Why not make a compromise and use one VC in different external models. This compromise is done more often, even in highly rated pay-ware. For instance the Russian P-40 version included in the WOP II (or was it III) package from A2A/Shockwave doesn't contain any Russian or metric instruments, nor did the SimTech P-39.
Personally I don't care and I really wonder how many virtual pilots actually did ever noticed.

Cheers,
Huub

PilatusTurbo
April 24th, 2010, 06:23
HUUB's got it down. I don't care about multiple VC variants, I just want a nice F7F model, with a good VC with all the 'clickables', a nice set of FDs, and good sounds. I know that's still a tall order, but several different VCs is not really necessary for a free gem we're going to receive from some of the masters of this field. :ernae:

EDIT: And look at it! Less than one week, and we almost have 100 posts. Milton, I think you have officially lit a match up under the FS community's ass. :d :d I, personally can't wait for this, and will fly the bearings outta the engines. :d

stansdds
April 24th, 2010, 06:26
Why not make a compromise and use one VC in different external models. This compromise is done more often, even in highly rated pay-ware. For instance the Russian P-40 version included in the WOP II (or was it III) package from A2A/Shockwave doesn't contain any Russian or metric instruments, nor did the SimTech P-39.
Personally I don't care and I really wonder how many virtual pilots actually did ever noticed.

Cheers,
Huub
I would notice, but then again I'm a highly a-retentive person. Most people would not notice and honestly, especially for freeware, the most important VC is the one from which you fly the craft.

TomSteber
April 24th, 2010, 06:30
HUUB's got it down. I don't care about multiple VC variants, I just want a nice F7F model, with a good VC with all the 'clickables', a nice set of FDs, and good sounds. I know that's still a tall order, but several different VCs is not really necessary for a free gem we're going to receive from some of the masters of this field. :ernae:

EDIT: And look at it! Less than one week, and we almost have 100 posts. Milton, I think you have officially lit a match up under the FS community's ass. :d :d I, personally can't wait for this, and will fly the bearings outta the engines. :d

Boy, I don't think I could have set it better. Can't wait.

Tom Clayton
April 24th, 2010, 17:00
I agree with the single cockpit idea. What would be even nicer would be a choice between factory vintage and a modern restoration with GPS and ILS.

JETninja
April 24th, 2010, 21:54
I agree with the single cockpit idea. What would be even nicer would be a choice between factory vintage and a modern restoration with GPS and ILS.

Agree.......

Can't tell you Milton how happy I am your still creating these gems.

Love to someday get you pointed towards homebuilts. For some strange reason they are a pretty ignored section in FS land. Long-Ez's, Velocity's, Lancair's, Glasair's, etc. Some out there, but all very old and not very state of the FS art examples.

Cheers!

Blackbird686
April 25th, 2010, 05:15
Well... after reading all of these replies to this thread.... I think it would be great to have a new Tiger Kitty for FS. I have always liked the "dash 1" with the single canopy.

BB686:USA-flag:

Odie
April 25th, 2010, 08:10
Outstanding idea! As a lover of all things Grumman....Huzzahs to all !

sctybdy
April 25th, 2010, 10:26
Agree.......

For some strange reason they are a pretty ignored section in FS land. Long-Ez's, Velocity's, Lancair's, Glasair's, etc. Some out there, but all very old and not very state of the FS art examples.

Cheers!

I Would like to see the formula one racers of the 50's-70's era recreated in FS2004. Flying a tricky little cassutt or Owl racer just does it. Funny how we have pylons at reno, but no races!!!

t.creed
April 26th, 2010, 16:36
WOW..that would be awesome..!!! i hope the talented raise their hands..!! :wiggle:

rgds
t creed

Milton Shupe
April 26th, 2010, 17:50
WOW..that would be awesome..!!! i hope the talented raise their hands..!! :wiggle:

rgds
t creed

The bulk of the data collection is done for now. I have manuals, POH, analyses, all kinds of performance data, model comparisons, 3-views and plenty of reference pictures.

Fliger747 will do the flight model; we have lots of interested painters to contribute, sounds offered, someone volunteered for documentation. Panel and gauges have to be sorted out; I would prefer new and F7F specific but we will see what comes.

I hope we have some modelers step up for the variants, and maybe a better VC than I can do.

Meanwhile, our team has an AT-11 to finish.

Tom Clayton
April 26th, 2010, 18:20
Since when is there anything wrong with your VC's?!? :applause:

robert41
April 26th, 2010, 19:19
Very interested in a F7F for FS9.

BillgjCook
April 27th, 2010, 12:05
Heres the file link Milton.
http://rapidshare.com/files/380895831/F7f.zip.html

Willy
April 27th, 2010, 12:29
Since when is there anything wrong with your VC's?!? :applause:

That's what I'd like to know! The next thing I find wrong with one will be the first.

Milton Shupe
April 27th, 2010, 16:30
Heres the file link Milton.
http://rapidshare.com/files/380895831/F7f.zip.html

Thank you Sir! Excellent hi-res closeups. :applause:

Milton Shupe
April 29th, 2010, 15:40

Thank you for recommending this book by Meyer and Ginter. Just received it today and it is awesome in its detail and explanations of everything important to modeling. :applause:

Milton Shupe
May 16th, 2010, 15:59
Well, yes indeed. All projects by you are just GREAT! Both FS9 & FSX. I can't model, or paint or do anything worthwhile but if ya need some good coffee - now that I can help with......

Ed

Ed,

I am ready for that coffee sir. :)