PDA

View Full Version : Computers

peter12213
April 21st, 2010, 03:32
Guys whats the best off the shelf computer you can get for running fsx at a price of around £600 - 800 quid, any suggestions? Thanks for any help!

cheezyflier
April 21st, 2010, 03:59
order one from harleyman. i hear he's the man for fsx computers.

txnetcop
April 21st, 2010, 04:31
I don't think Mason builds and ships overseas-http://www.alpinesystems.co.uk/

If you decide you want to build one we will be glad to help you. It really is easy but I don't know about the expense of building one in the U.K.

Someone you might talk to is Nick Churchill. He had one built according to my specs and loves it
Ted
<input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">

peter12213
April 21st, 2010, 04:45
Ok Guys I wil ask Nick, I have been in contact with Mason too its a shame I can't get one from him he really knows his stuff!

rvn817j
April 21st, 2010, 05:12
You should consider this value proposition. An AMD 965 BE processor (soon to be coming out in a 6 core processor), One of the new Gigabyte 890 AMD chipset motherboards that has SATA 6.0 and USB 3.0. The faster SATA channel means faster hard drive read/write access. These boards also have improved graphics through put. I don't have one yet, but they save money ($$) over Intel and are optimized for ATI graphics.

I know there are some 'experts' on this board, so I'm sure they will point out that AMD processors don't have the horsepower that Intel processors have. At some point, however, Intel has way more than you really need.

My recent BE purchases have saved money for other things and run FSX very smoothly. Your mileage may vary.

kilo delta
April 21st, 2010, 05:44
Harley recently had a thread for buying/building a pc in Europe. I've posted a few links in there that might be worth looking at. A number of computer parts retailers will build the rig for you for a nominal fee. If you just want an off-the-shelf pc with minimum fuss, and aren't interested in DIY, then Dell systems cannot be beat....despite all the negative feedback that you hear about them. :)

Edit: Here's Harley's thread... http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/showthread.php?t=34493

peter12213
April 21st, 2010, 06:05
Alpine is one that I'm really interested in, I'm going to call them and get a price list for there systems!

Skittles
April 21st, 2010, 07:42
For the alpine mid range machine this is the cost of the unit if you bought the components yourself. Everything is from Ebuyer.com unless stated otherwise.

Intel i7 930 2.80Ghz CPU - £240
MSI X58 PRO Motherboard - £155
6Gb Corsair TR3 Tri Channel Memory 1600Mhz - £150
Samsung 1 Terrabyte 32Mb Cache HDD SATA - £57
22x DVD Re-Writer Dual Layer - £15
NVidia GTX 480 DDR5 PCie 1GB Graphics - £300
On Board 7.1 Stereo Sound - £30
Gigabit Lan
Firewire - £20
Deluxe Midi Tower Case with Superior 750w PSU - £70ish (not on ebuyer).
USB 2.0 x 8 (2 on front) - £15
Windows 7 Home Premium 64 Bit - £90

That is......£1142. Not cheap by any means. I might debate whether some of that is neccessary or right. The graphics card seems excessive, and you'll never need a terabyte of hard drive space. Have a look how much space you're using now, and ask yourself whether you'd ever fill a terabyte.

kilo delta
April 21st, 2010, 10:28
you'll never need a terabyte of hard drive space. Have a look how much space you're using now, and ask yourself whether you'd ever fill a terabyte.

Hehehe...I remember people saying that about a 1GB hdd!!! One terrabyte hard drives are mainstream now, many manufacturers are producing 2TB drives. You'd be surprised how quickly it'll fill especially if you are into photography,video editing etc etc.
The cheapest (and best imho) option is to build a PC yourself,Peter. If you can wire a plug, you can build a PC. Buying an off the shelf system, with decent specs to run fsx well, will easily swallow your budget.

peter12213
April 21st, 2010, 11:21
Yeah I'm starting to think that but, building one myself is out of the question lol I know nothing about it, I only wish I did, thanks for all the pointers though guys!

IanHenry
April 21st, 2010, 11:47
Alpine are really good. Paul at alpine knows his stuff, it's well worth giving him a ring.

Regards,
Ian.

peter12213
April 21st, 2010, 14:38
Yeah I left a message on there answering machine and emailed them today!