stiz
April 20th, 2010, 22:38
wonder if they'll have the same budget? :icon_lol:

http://uk.news.yahoo.com/22/20100421/ten-uk-topgear-5fdf947.html

Naismith
April 20th, 2010, 23:18
wonder if they'll have the same budget? :icon_lol:

http://uk.news.yahoo.com/22/20100421/ten-uk-topgear-5fdf947.html

Should be interesting, considering the derisory remarks they make about US cars.

tigisfat
April 20th, 2010, 23:22
Should be interesting, considering the derisory remarks they make about US cars.

As a HUGE US car fan and top gear fan, I think the world is a little too sensitive sometimes. It doesn't even bug me when Jeremy makes remarks about US citizens or cars. I have respect for the amount of patriotism and pride he has. Most don't anymore, not matter their persuasion.

He's even called everyone in America fat, stupid and rude before. I don't care. He's just talking trash and being entertaining.

The young dude balances jeremy's views a bit. He's a fan of US cars.

What makes this show great is the hosts and the type of stuff they do. As these things commonly go, I wholly expect this to be no more than a franchise expansion. I'm sure it'll be perverted and dumbed down.

djscoo
April 20th, 2010, 23:28
I'm not too optimistic at this point. Unfortunately, being on a private channel, they will have obligations to their sponsors so they won't be able to be brutally honest like the original Top Gear is. I will definitely tune in though, and form my final opinion based on what I see :ernae:

lefty
April 21st, 2010, 00:18
What makes this show great is the hosts and the type of stuff they do. As these things commonly go, I wholly expect this to be no more than a franchise expansion. I'm sure it'll be perverted and dumbed down.

Couldn't be much more dumbed down than the original, which used to be a good show until someone told these clowns they were funny. Puerile stuff now.

strega13
April 21st, 2010, 00:57
As long as the original still airs , i won't need to bother with this one .

Quixoticish
April 21st, 2010, 01:18
British shows that make the hop across the Atlantic and are re-invented for an American audience tend to be fairly poor imitations at best, but that said the success of Top Gear is really based around the presenters so if they get the right trio there is every possibility that it could work.

tigisfat
April 21st, 2010, 01:31
Couldn't be much more dumbed down than the original, which used to be a good show until someone told these clowns they were funny. Puerile stuff now.

I'll tell those clowns they are hilarious. I could simply watch them insult each other all day long.

Just to be sure, the current British version doesn't air at all in North America, does it?

wombat666
April 21st, 2010, 03:17

Exactly.
Pond cross overs never seem to work very well.

Having caught up on the first couple of series over the Summer as a 'promotion' for the new series (typical Network 9 idiots!) they were more about motoring and less about Clarkson's bloody ego back then.

I prefer 5th Gear anytime, name drivers and a good testing regime.

As for local versions of Top Gear, attempted in Australia, lasted for two series only, axed.
Unfortunate in one way, as a revised line-up and serious testing of cars were coming to the fore.

:banghead:

Quixoticish
April 21st, 2010, 04:57
Exactly.
Pond cross overs never seem to work very well.

Having caught up on the first couple of series over the Summer as a 'promotion' for the new series (typical Network 9 idiots!) they were more about motoring and less about Clarkson's bloody ego back then.

I prefer 5th Gear anytime, name drivers and a good testing regime.

As for local versions of Top Gear, attempted in Australia, lasted for two series only, axed.
Unfortunate in one way, as a revised line-up and serious testing of cars were coming to the fore.

:banghead:

As a fan of new Top Gear I really don't want to see car reviews. They are ten a penny, you can get them everywhere, both in print and on the TV in various other shows. New Top Gear is a comedy show, and a great one at that, and long may it continue.

Matt Wynn
April 21st, 2010, 05:14
will they have this guy back?........... "All we know is he's not the stig...."

http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b162/Tomv/fatstig.gif

could be quite entertaining.... :wiggle:

strega13
April 21st, 2010, 10:24
Just to be sure, the current British version doesn't air at all in North America, does it?
it airs in the US on BBC america every monday night . i believe they air them in the US about 6 months or so after they aired in england . for example , the last one that aired was the hour and half special where they went through south america .

wombat666
April 21st, 2010, 11:19
As a fan of new Top Gear I really don't want to see car reviews. They are ten a penny, you can get them everywhere, both in print and on the TV in various other shows. New Top Gear is a comedy show, and a great one at that, and long may it continue.

Chris, as in anything you are entitled to your opinion.
Comedy you say???
You might be right there, perhaps the American version should be titled "Two Point Five Men", as it would be around the same execrable standard as "Two and a Half Men".
:toilet:

Quixoticish
April 21st, 2010, 12:19
Chris, as in anything you are entitled to your opinion.
Comedy you say???
You might be right there, perhaps the American version should be titled "Two Point Five Men", as it would be around the same execrable standard as "Two and a Half Men".
:toilet:

I agree that everyone is entitled to an opinion. There is, however, one thing on which you are mistaken. You seem to be acting under the mistaken impression that Top Gear is a car review show. It is not and has not been for a long time, henceforth any comparison that you made earlier in the thread to Fifth Gear and other genuine review and consumer interest shows is wholly irrelevant.

Henry
April 21st, 2010, 12:26
ive never seen it at all
originally came out in 77
on BBC2
must have been in a pub at the time:ernae:
in my opinion cross overs never work
ever seen the us version of faulty towers:monkies:
LOL
H

tigisfat
April 21st, 2010, 12:38
Crossovers usually don't work, but that redonkulous American Idol show is crossed over to everywhere and is always a hit.

Clarke123
April 21st, 2010, 13:06
Crossovers usually don't work, but that redonkulous American Idol show is crossed over to everywhere and is always a hit.
I think you'll find American idol is a crossover. It first started in England as pop idol.

Wiens
April 21st, 2010, 13:24
Check this out: http://dalyplanet.blogspot.com/

Rutlledge Wood will host US Top Gear.......

Kevin