PDA

View Full Version : 'Does This Computer Game Company Own Your Soul?'

Panther_99FS
April 15th, 2010, 17:26
http://www.foxnews.com/scitech/2010/04/15/online-shoppers-unknowingly-sold-souls/

(Folks, please let's try and avoid this one getting closed - I posted due to the video game & watching what you buy message)

Snuffy
April 15th, 2010, 17:38
Not mine.

tigisfat
April 15th, 2010, 17:45
So, who's read an entire EULA that's more than a few pages long?

liability waivers and outrageous forfeiture of rights claims are hard to actually enforce in court, since most are unconstitutional, but there is big language in most of them.

Tako_Kichi
April 15th, 2010, 17:51
The date should have sent up a red flag. As in.....

"By placing an order via this Web site on the first day of the fourth month of the year 2010 Anno Domini, you agree to grant Us a non transferable option to claim, for now and for ever more, your immortal soul."

txnetcop
April 15th, 2010, 18:22
I always scan a EULA anything could be put in there!
Ted
<input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">

GT182
April 15th, 2010, 18:30
They didn't get mine. :d

But, the "Warden" sure did. :crybaby: And I am not the only one either... many of you are in the same boat as I...... yer just afraid to admit it. ;) :icon_lol:

MCDesigns
April 15th, 2010, 18:37
here I thought MS owned my soul with how much time I spend inside FS, LOL.

OBIO
April 15th, 2010, 18:38
I'm with GT.....the warden has me for life, chain gang, hard labor, no chance of parole.

Lionheart
April 15th, 2010, 19:13
Goodness... Sounds like something from the movies...

Bill

cheezyflier
April 15th, 2010, 20:00
although i didn't know someone had actually demonstrated it this way, ive said similar things in the past. no one reads those eulas, and they should be unenforceable because of their very nature. (i do realize that's not the case)
in order to buy any software or make a purchase you have to agree to things you would not agree to if you were making a tactile purchase live and in person. it's like when the inquisition tortured people for heresy confessions. when you're being tortured most people will say anything you want them to say.

would you buy a car or a home agreeing to the same conditions as the eula for software? heck no!
why is that? i'll tell you why...
it's because you do not expect to be held to the conditions you don't approve of.

tigisfat
April 15th, 2010, 20:22
although i didn't know someone had actually demonstrated it this way, ive said similar things in the past. no one reads those eulas, and they should be unenforceable because of their very nature. (i do realize that's not the case)

Contrary to popular belief because you sign your rights away all the time, most of your rights can't be signed away even if you admit under oath you signed the dotted line.

It's everywhere. For example, in construction there are popular addins to every contract written in the last few years stating rediculous retention amounts and 'no changeorder' clauses. They simply can't do that no matter who signs what. The law says what the law says. I've seen it overturned in court more than once.

Similarly, if you were to go skydiving, signing the standard liability release to 'hold harmless' the business and all it's entities in the event of disaster means nothing. If they killed you because of neglect or somehting similar, you can hold them liable.

It happens all the time. The users of EULAs hold nothing further than standard copyright agreements and few other things over your head.

Writers of EULAs can argue until they're blue in the face about what you signed but the law is still the law.

Snuffy
April 16th, 2010, 03:01
An interesting find to say the least ....

The date should have sent up a red flag. As in.....

"By placing an order via this Web site on the first day of the fourth month of the year 2010 Anno Domini, you agree to grant Us a non transferable option to claim, for now and for ever more, your immortal soul."

KOM.Nausicaa
April 16th, 2010, 04:29
Selling your soul in the EULA...excellent joke. :icon_lol:

Bjoern
April 16th, 2010, 11:41
You can't sell what you don't have, so I'm safe. :jump:

Odie
April 16th, 2010, 12:54
Goodness... Sounds like something from the movies...

Bill

Is this one of those "red pill, blue pill" moments??

Kofschip
April 16th, 2010, 17:09
You can't sell what you don't have, so I'm safe. :jump:

I think that Bjoern summed it up for most of us.:engel016: However, having said this, this thread is a good warning for us to be very, very careful with these types of purchases. I guess that I will start reading the EULAs. But there is still the problem that if you don't agree with the EULA, you don't get the product, you do not get to negotiate, it is a one-way street only.

n4gix
April 17th, 2010, 10:50
Actually, it appears to have been a very clever and amusing way to obtain some interesting statistics:

While all shoppers during the test were given a simple tick box option to opt out, very few did this, which would have also rewarded them with a £5 voucher, according to news:lite (http://newslite.tv/2010/04/06/7500-shoppers-unknowingly-sold.html). Due to the number of people who ticked the box, GameStation claims believes as many as 88 percent of people do not read the terms and conditions of a Web site before they make a purchase.

Hmmm, that gives me an idea. How about a note in payware documentation that will yield a 10% discount on the next purchase if the reader is clever enough to actually read said documents! :jump: