PDA

View Full Version : Nifty 50s Jet Race Entry thread

Willy
April 13th, 2010, 21:14
Post your entries in this thread.

I'll go first.

I'm entering in Piglet's T-33 in a US Navy TV-2 trainer repaint (TV-2 was 1950s Navyese for T-33).

Here's a couple of screenshots of it being shipped on a carrier to Darwin.

Taco
April 14th, 2010, 08:29
Post your entries in this thread.

I'll go first.

I'm entering in Piglet's T-33 in a US Navy TV-2 trainer repaint (TV-2 was 1950s Navyese for T-33).

Here's a couple of screenshots of it being shipped on a carrier to Darwin.

Hey Willy, couldn't upload in the normal place, so here is my entrie.

Dudley and I will be flying Alphasim Boeing B-47e. Pictures; Old shaky C-124 taking off in the early morning with the support people heading to Darwin for our support in the nifty fifty race. Here we are leaving a couple of days later in an early morning departure for our junket to Darwin.

Taco.

RFields
April 14th, 2010, 09:49
Will be in Fort Lauderdale from 4/17 through 4/24.

But the EA-3B Skywarrior PR-007 will be ready to go. Another crew will ferry the bird down from the VQ-1 home base at Iwakuni to Darwin. They will stop at Sangley Point to visit old friends from when the squadron was stationed there in the early 50s, and a fuel stop at CCK enroute to the PI and at Davao on the final legs to Darwin.

RedGreen
April 15th, 2010, 04:51
You didn't think the USAF Military Air Transport Service (MATS) would let the fighter jocks and bomber boys have all the fun, did you? That's why they have entered the Boeing C-135A Stratolifter into the race, and contracted yours truly to fly it. Unlike most other entrys, we don't need a support plane. The support team can ride along on the race plane!

Below are a couple of pictures of us arriving at Darwin from the States (with stopovers in Hawaii and the Marshall Islands).

Kowalski65
April 15th, 2010, 09:06
australia enters nifty fiftys race STOP kowalski six five allocated as pilot STOP canberra b two mark twenty assigned serial no a eight four dash two three four STOP aircraft and pilot to proceed to yddn darwin international with all speed STOP training film stills attached STOP try not to crash this time MESSAGE ENDS

Moses03
April 15th, 2010, 16:06
Will have a go in the AlphaSim F7U-3. A little short-legged but the drop tanks will help. (The two sidewinders might come in handy as well).

In real life, the Cutlass was underpowered and accident prone for a variety of reasons. Here is a chance for the tailless fighter to redeem itself via the virtual world.

Moses

jkcook28
April 15th, 2010, 18:55
Jumping in with the A-4B Skyhawk/Scooter. I'm going armed too; especially for that possible stop in Soviet territory. :icon_eek:
I'll save you the research for in service date:

A4D-2 (A-4B) (http://a4skyhawk.org/common/a-4b3v.jpg)

http://a4skyhawk.org/common/a4d-2.jpg

Before delivery of the A4D-1 to fleet units, an improved version, the A4D-2 (A-4B) was ordered into production.
Inprovements incorporated in the A4D-2 (A-4B) Skyhawk were a stronger, "inside-out" rudder construction; a pressure fueling system with a probe for air-to-air refueling; external fuel tanks; stronger landing gear; additional navigation equipment; an improved air-to-ground ordnance delivery system; and an externally-carried "buddy store" package for air-to-air fueling of other aircraft.
The first A4D-2 (A-4B) flight occurred on March 26, 1956, flown by Douglas test pilot Dru Wood.
Fleet delivery of the A4D-2 (A-4B) began in September 1957.
A total of 542 A4D-2 (A-4B) Skyhawks were manufactured, many of which were later modified and/or refurbished and sold to foreign countries (q.v.).

A4D-2 (A-4B) BuNos:
142082 - 142141 (60)
142416 - 142423 (8)
142674 - 142953 (280)
144868 - 145061 (194)

The link: http://a4skyhawk.org/2c/productionhistory.htm

The -E onward were a bit faster but too late. :frown:

Cya on the ramp!

EasyEd
April 15th, 2010, 20:06
Hey All,

My A4 is too fast (in the CFG) then I wanted the Canuck but it has no 2D panel and the VC is unreadable so I hunted for a plane I like the looks of and bought the F89 - so the Scorpion it is for me in this event (Yeah I sometimes use these events as an "excuse" to add a plane to the hangar). I think it's a bit slow but I'll live with it. I'll leave it to you plane ID experts to figure out which one is the F89 in the screenie. :d

-Ed-

MaddogK
April 16th, 2010, 00:12
Ya, all my A-4's are too fast also, except the 'M' model thats out of era. Guess I'll throw in with the Alphasim F-86. I'm sure I saw a Mig around here.

Vicious
April 16th, 2010, 18:19
I’ll be entering the race with the SNCASO S.O. 4050 Vautour IIN. Here’s a pic during one of the shakedown flights in San Diego, before heading into the avionics and paint shop. With two big engines it likes to guzzle the gas, so it won’t have a chance for the Eco portion of the race, but it’s pretty speedy with good range.

Should be fun!!

Vicious

jkcook28
April 16th, 2010, 19:25
Jumping in with the A-4B Skyhawk/Scooter. I'm going armed too; especially for that possible stop in Soviet territory. :icon_eek:
I'll save you the research for in service date:

A4D-2 (A-4B) (http://a4skyhawk.org/common/a-4b3v.jpg)

Before delivery of the A4D-1 to fleet units, an improved version, the A4D-2 (A-4B) was ordered into production.
Inprovements incorporated in the A4D-2 (A-4B) Skyhawk were a stronger, "inside-out" rudder construction; a pressure fueling system with a probe for air-to-air refueling; external fuel tanks; stronger landing gear; additional navigation equipment; an improved air-to-ground ordnance delivery system; and an externally-carried "buddy store" package for air-to-air fueling of other aircraft.
The first A4D-2 (A-4B) flight occurred on March 26, 1956, flown by Douglas test pilot Dru Wood.
Fleet delivery of the A4D-2 (A-4B) began in September 1957.
A total of 542 A4D-2 (A-4B) Skyhawks were manufactured, many of which were later modified and/or refurbished and sold to foreign countries (q.v.).

A4D-2 (A-4B) BuNos:
142082 - 142141 (60)
142416 - 142423 (8)
142674 - 142953 (280)
144868 - 145061 (194)

The link: http://a4skyhawk.org/2c/productionhistory.htm

The -E onward were a bit faster but too late. :frown:

Cya on the ramp!

OK, after some testing, UNLESS the rule on Mach changes, I withdraw the A-4B and re-enter with the A-4C. It cannot exceed M1.0 in level flight either. Has slight climb and speed advantage over the -B, but also a bit shorter range.

The first A4D-2N (A-4C) flight occurred on August 21, 1958 and first fleet delivery was to VMA-225 in February 1960.

From this link: http://a4skyhawk.org/2c/productionhistory.htm

:running:

MaddogK
April 16th, 2010, 19:32
OK, after some testing, UNLESS the rule on Mach changes, I withdraw the A-4B and re-enter with the A-4C. It cannot exceed M1.0 in level flight either. Has slight climb and speed advantage over the -B, but also a bit shorter range.

The first A4D-2N (A-4C) flight occurred on August 21, 1958 and first fleet delivery was to VMA-225 in February 1960.

From this link: http://a4skyhawk.org/2c/productionhistory.htm

:running:

NONE of the A-4's I tested exceed M1 in level flight, but when removing the reference entries Duenna 'estimates' the speeds and puts them back into the CFG, then reports them in the logs. I'd sure like to know whose A4 your using (for future use).

jkcook28
April 17th, 2010, 06:13
I'm using the Razbam A-4, Maddog. I don't change or remove anything in the .cfg file. The argument is the max mach number of 1.20 in the reference speed section. It can do that in a steep full power dive; but thats not what is at issue. Best I can get in level flight at any altitude is M.98 or less (in the A-4C; the -B is slower).
Most of these faster subsonic jets I have are all similar in performance and can all exceed M1.0 in a dive.

MaddogK
April 17th, 2010, 14:12
My 'B' A-4 shows 'overspeed' at M .9, but the CFG shows M 1.2 so I considered it ineligible, The F-86 will go supersonic at 45k ft, but the groundspeed is slower than M .87 @ 30K ft by 50 kts. or so.

An interesting side not tho- the A-7 is faster than the A-4, but the config shows M.1.00 (Abacus A-7E), AND it's considered subsonic for the RTW race.

...Go figure.

smilo
April 17th, 2010, 17:15
after narrowing it down to 4,
I have decided on the B-47E.
oddly enough, it is the fastest
and has the longest range.
but the deciding factor was that
it was the one I was the most successful at landing.
imagine that...

I am noticing something very odd,
while cruising Mach 0.93 @ 35,000 feet,
the engines are singing.
honest...I'm hearing a men's chorus repeating;
Oh, Oh, Oh Oh

Highmike
April 17th, 2010, 19:59
The Colombian Air Force have asked me (un gringo humildes) to fly their entry in this race - a mighty B707 in Fuerza Aerea Colombiana colours! Que Dios tenga piedad de mi alma!

I'll have to make it a quick one so they can get this important implement of enforcement back into more suitable service.

Estoy un poco loco!

Highmike
April 18th, 2010, 01:10
The Colombian Air Force have asked me (un gringo humildes) to fly their entry in this race - a mighty B707 in Fuerza Aerea Colombiana colours! Que Dios tenga piedad de mi alma!

I'll have to make it a quick one so they can get this important implement of enforcement back into more suitable service.

Estoy un poco loco!

I'm going to have to change my colours: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Colombian_Air_Force

Seems the one and only 707 in the Colombian Air Force entered service during the nineties which would make my ride historically inaccurate.

This leaves me with a Luftwaffe paint of the 707-320 which may well be historically accurate since the West German Luftwaffe flew mostly US designed planes when they joined NATO in 1955.

Or, a Spanish Air Force paint which will probably be historically inaccurate since they flew mostly German planes until Spain joined NATO in 1982.

Or, a nice paint of Air Force 1 which will be pretty accurate since Eisenhower visited 11 Asian nations in a VC-137 during his "Flight to Peace" Goodwill tour in December 1959. The only trouble is that I feel inadequate as a pilot to be flying the President on such an auspicious occasion.

I would, however, feel up to it if I could count on the support of any of my Pacific Rim neighbours who may otherwise object to an Australian bushman flying such a Regal bird.

Any objections?

Flyin Bull
April 18th, 2010, 03:24
Gonna give it a whirl in the Alphasim English Electric Canberra B2, RAF of course:jump:

Steve

powell341
April 19th, 2010, 07:16
I am entering the Hawker Hunter T MK.7.:salute: Good luck to everyone!

cya,
powell3415084

buzzbee
April 19th, 2010, 20:57
Not a lot of time to test and all, but I believe this choice should meet the rules.

I like flying it. Should be a challenge.

salt_air
April 20th, 2010, 09:41
Copied and pasted below from the Strategic-Air-Command.com website:

"The Shooting Star was the first USAF aircraft to exceed 500 mph in level flight, the first American jet airplane to be manufactured in large quantities and the first USAF jet to be used in combat. Designed in 1943, the XP-80 made its maiden flight on Jan. 8, 1944. Several early P-80s were sent to Europe for demonstration, but WW II ended before the aircraft could be employed in combat. (The aircraft was redesignated in 1948 when "P" for "Pursuit" was changed to "F" for "Fighter.") Of 1,731 F-80s built, 798 were F-80Cs.
Although it was designed as a high-altitude interceptor, the F-80C was used extensively as a fighter-bomber in the Korean Conflict, primarily for low-level rocket, bomb and napalm attacks against ground targets. On Nov. 8, 1950, an F-80C flown by Lt. Russell J. Brown, flying with the 16th Fighter-Interceptor Squadron, shot down a Russian-built MiG-15 in the world's first all-jet fighter air battle."

Won't win any speed records with this bird, but it is fun to fly and just what the Doctor ordered for a "prop-guy".

It's got the stinkin' checklist plastered right in the middle of the panel for those of us that have all the symptoms of "ol' timer's disease".

Doesn't have the swept back wing design, so it has a lower stall speed and it just might do well with fuel usage.....we'll see.

I'll have to make a lot of stops, so this will be more like a Tour than a Race, but it should be a ton-o-fun and that's all that matters anyway.

Gratitude to all hands on Flight 19 for yet another springtime romp to remember.

Willy
April 20th, 2010, 09:56
Salt Air, the AS P-80 was my first choice for pretty much your reasons but it has some odd behavior after touchdown on landing (hopping and skipping down the runway), so I went with the two seater T-33.

Should be a very nice tour.

teson1
April 20th, 2010, 11:43
Hope I make it to California before the start of the autumn event, this time! :kilroy:
Gunter

gandy
April 21st, 2010, 09:19
I hope this is allowed as ive done some homework in to its history.

here we have the Comet 3B which was originally owned/operated by the MOS ( Ministry of Supply ). The MOS became the MOD in 1959.

The Comet 3B is a Modified Comet 3 Prototype which only 2 was built and only one ever took to the skies. The first flight of the comet 3 to place on 19/7/1954

The livery on this aircraft does not reflect its use by the MOS/MOD as its a later paint job from 1961
http://images.ukcs.net/10412/normal_2010-4-21_18-6-22-174.jpg (http://images.ukcs.net/10412/2010-4-21_18-6-22-174.jpg)

salt_air
April 21st, 2010, 15:15
Salt Air, the AS P-80 was my first choice for pretty much your reasons but it has some odd behavior after touchdown on landing (hopping and skipping down the runway), so I went with the two seater T-33.

Should be a very nice tour.

Thanks for the heads up Willy!

Hadn't noticed that yet,,,,,been landing at less than 100kts and stopping fast.

I'll have to watch the long runways and not get lazy about airspeed forcing long rolls to bleed off speed.

Yes,,,,this will be a very nice tour. Thanks again,,,,,this is a fantastic part of the world to fly in and a well thought out event.

Best of luck to you and everyone else.

Cheers,

PRB
April 21st, 2010, 16:10
I will enter the Northrop F-89 Scorpion (Alphasim). Because I like the way it looks. :d

EasyEd
April 21st, 2010, 17:31
Hey All,

You an me both Paul - F-89s! I'll have to fly from Nanaimo down to Whidbey where your at!

-Ed-

smilo
April 21st, 2010, 18:19
I was lookin' at the F-89, too,
but the only freeware I could find was Ito's
and it's not allowed.
besides, his is +Mach 1.0

so it goes

I had a model of that one when I was a kid.
there's something very appealing about it.

gandy
April 21st, 2010, 22:32
Ive changed to this little jet..

The Hawker Hunter F58 with a black paint job :)
http://images.ukcs.net/10412/normal_2010-4-21_16-38-34-332.jpg (http://images.ukcs.net/10412/2010-4-21_16-38-34-332.jpg)

Dangerousdave26
April 23rd, 2010, 17:06
Well after much debate I am entering in the Saab J-29F Tunnan by Piglet.

http://i434.photobucket.com/albums/qq63/Dangerousdave26/Tunnan_1.jpg

She's pretty slow in the climb but it has some legs if you treat her right.

http://i434.photobucket.com/albums/qq63/Dangerousdave26/Tunnan_2.jpg

Moses03
April 23rd, 2010, 17:12
Great to see the Swedish barrel in the race. Thought about flying it myself.

Vicious
April 23rd, 2010, 19:50
DD,

I think the J29 is likely the fastest bird for this race so I look forward to seeing how you do with it. When we used it in the RTW, we could get nearly 700nm to a tank and cruise at over 600 kts ground speed. It can also take a beating, although you can break the gear when landing heavy.

Good Luck!
Vicious

powell341
April 23rd, 2010, 21:18
I am entering the Hawker Hunter T MK.7.:salute: Good luck to everyone!

cya,
powell3415084

changing my entry to Morane Saulnier 760 trainer, light duty jet. French Navy 1959. It may not be the fastest but it should still be fun.

srgalahad
April 24th, 2010, 16:47
428 "GHOST" Squadron, RCAF
5538Soon to be re-equipped with the new CF-105 Avro Arrow, 428 "Ghost" Sqdn. has received authority from Air Defence Command to take on a major farewell mission - a Flight of CF-100 Mk.4 aircraft have been ferried to Australia to compete in the PacRim Challenge.

Although coming in second to the EE Canberra in a USAF competition for an interdiction aircraft, the "Clunk" still saw success with NATO where they were for some time the only NATO fighters capable of operating in zero visibility and poor weather conditions and are expected to remain in service until the 1980's

The Flight Leader, after reviewing the geography of the route was heard to remark: "I think we just flew into The Ring of Fire."

Rob

smilo
April 24th, 2010, 17:00
Great to see yaz, Rob!

MaddogK
April 26th, 2010, 11:25
I formally withdraw my entry in this event. My Sabre is apparently too poorly modeled in it's flight characteristics it cannot be competitive, and my posts are not properly formatted to comply with the rules. Feel free to delete my race thread, and I will consider having my name removed from the SOH race team roster.

Willy
April 26th, 2010, 11:38
Take some time, think things over and then come back and race some more.

MaddogK
April 26th, 2010, 16:18
Take some time, think things over and then come back and race some more.

Don't worry Willy, I'm only dropping out of the event, and I'm not mad about it either, i'm relieved it over. Not sure I'm into the racing aspect of FS anymore as I see the fallacy of the simplified ruleset- the simpler they appear, the more complicated that actually are.

PRB
April 26th, 2010, 17:18
Don't worry Willy, I'm only dropping out of the event, and I'm not mad about it either, i'm relieved it over. Not sure I'm into the racing aspect of FS anymore as I see the fallacy of the simplified ruleset- the simpler they appear, the more complicated that actually are.

I think it really couldda been simple. It got turned into complicated. Herding cats is hard. Lots of personal lessons learned on this one. Maybe we should have just said "jets" and be done with it. What's so special about Mach 1.00000000000 anyway? Who cares? If you jump in your trusty F-105 and scorch along at Mach 1.9, you'll do it for about 99 miles anyway, then swim the rest of the way to Timor. Oh well. Next time...

MaddogK
April 27th, 2010, 13:20
I think it really couldda been simple. It got turned into complicated. Herding cats is hard. Lots of personal lessons learned on this one. Maybe we should have just said "jets" and be done with it. What's so special about Mach 1.00000000000 anyway? Who cares? If you jump in your trusty F-105 and scorch along at Mach 1.9, you'll do it for about 99 miles anyway, then swim the rest of the way to Timor. Oh well. Next time...

I made it complicated, you guys did fine. I'm sorry for killin' your event with my drama.

Willy
April 27th, 2010, 16:27
Juan Peron made an offer I couldn't resist. Seems the Argentinians have a new jet fighter prototype that they want to test & showcase and after my performance in the Evita event, they decided that I'd be the guy to fly it in the RimPac. Shucks they're paying for it all. And I get to test pilot their new toy. Life is good.

Here's the details on the Pulqui II..

In the years following World War II, one of the most talented of all German aircraft designers immigrated to Argentina, Professor Kurt Tank, famous for the Focke-Wulf Fw 190 and Ta 152 series of fighters. Here, he was involved in the design of which was meant to be the first operational Jet fighter developed and built in the country, the 'IA-33 Pulqui II' which emboded many of the design elements of Tank's earlier Focke Wulf Ta 183.

The first Argentine prototype for a national jet fighter had been the Pulqui I, designed by French Engineer Dewoitine. However, this was a very basic concept and was not up to the expectations. Contrary to the previous design by Dewoitine, many elements incorporated by Tank into the Pulqui II were totally new in the fields of aeronautical construction, placing the Argentinean aero industry amongst the most advanced during those years.

Five prototypes of the Pulqui II were built. The first one never flew and was destroyed in static tests of resistance. The second prototype first flew on 16 June 1950 and proved to be successful in most respects. Later, it would be lost in an accident, as well as prototypes number 3 and number 4. The fifth prototype was finished in 1959.

Unfortunately, the economic and political problems that plagued Argentina in the 1950s and 60s finally killed the project that never went beyond the prototype stage. Today, prototype number 5, only survivor of the project, is preserved at the Argentina’s National Museum of Aeronautics in Buenos Aires. More info at:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FMA_IAe_33_Pulqui_II

FS model by Victor Astiz.

smilo
April 27th, 2010, 18:59
I made it complicated, you guys did fine. I'm sorry for killin' your event with my drama.

I should probably keep my nose out of this,
but that just ain't in my nature.
I would like to make a few comments and observations.
I don't mean to irritate anyone,
so please don't get mad at me.

first off, I don't think you killed off this event.
heck, we're still flyin'.
at least I think we are.
I am.

MK, sometimes, it seems like you take this stuff way to seriously.
yeah, the title of this event is the Pac Rim Jet Race BFD
I believe the real intent is to get together, chase around,
and, first and foremost, have some fun.
I mean, competition is okay, but if it makes a person uptight and crazy,
I say, don't compete. that is, unless one likes being uptight and crazy.
heck, I get enough of that foolishness at work.
I just want to play.

here's my recommendation;
forget about it.
start over, plan your route and go fly.
don't worry about winning or losing,
just enjoy the moment and have some fun.
it seems to me that if we have a good time, we win.
if we don't have a good time, we lose.
pretty basic stuff.

sure, there's the pride thing,
but as far as I'm concerned, it's just BS.
for what it's worth, I think it shows a lot of character
to step up, take responsibility and apologize.
well done.
now, take the next step,
forget about it and move forward.

thanks for letting me go on,
I'll shut up now.

MaddogK
April 27th, 2010, 19:50
It really is BS Smilo, I took some a situation of light hearted ribbing and pushed, and pushed, and pushed till I got 1 guy to quit, 2 others vanished, and for what- NO reason at all. Really, I don't know how to apologize for causing all this dissention in our ranks other than to BEG those guys to come back, forget about my actions, and carry on. I've already plotted my course back to Hawaii, and after a few days in Olongapo I'm heading out to Imo Jima, Wake, Midway, then Hawaii to pick up the Vulcan and take it back to the states.

I think I've cheesed off too many good guys this race to get re-involved, so I'll wait for it to conclude so we can start repairing the damage, and plan for the next race. Thats the best I can do. So good luck guys, and drinks are on me when you make it to Edwards.

PRB
April 27th, 2010, 21:29
When I say “It couldda been simple”, I'm pointing the finger primarily at myself, for writing a lousy set of rules. Some will conclude from this that we really do need 30 pages of rules to hold a race event, but I'm still not convinced. Reggie and Moses03 each put together separate race events a few years ago that were astonishingly simple. In one case it was Beech 18s across North America. In the other it was ferry Cessna GA planes from North America to Alaska. That was it! Reggie's Cessna race featured some fuel efficiency considerations, but each event was simple and very much fun. There's no reason those type events can't be done these days. I guess we didn't quite achieve it in this case. Not sure what happened. The jets were an unexpected complication, especially the issue of max speed. One thing we tried to avoid was having to test each plane to see if it was “hot” or otherwise unrealistic, and therefore disallowed. Because we don't know how to test jets. You can't just test them at one altitude. Jets have two max speeds: KIAS and Mach. You run into KIAS limitations down low, and Mach issues up high. And even if you do test each jet at 10,000 foot increments from 0 to 40,000 feet, which, by the way, will take months, you're left with a set of data that's difficult to compare with real world data because the real world data is hard to come by. So after spending months testing jets, you still don't know which ones are “hot” or otherwise unrealistic. My solution was simple: to heck with testing! And that was my idea, because everyone else was on board with testing, but nobody had time to actually do all that testing. What that comes down to on race day is that we don't really care if the plane you choose is unrealistic. But since that wasn't made clear up front, racers went by previous experience with these events and assumed that unrealistic was bad. And then we confused the heck out of everyone by publishing the rule on max speed both backwards, and imprecise. I think that contributed a lot in the confusion before the race. And then we uncovered another wildly inconsistent characteristic of jets: fuel consumption. I'm not sure if this is an issue more with jets than piston engine planes in FS, or if we just paid more attention to it for this race, but some jets get ridiculous range performance, and others must sure have a hole in the gas tank the way they consume gas.

I'm not sure who you were thinking about when you said two others vanished, but in case one was me, I will be continuing my “race trek” soon. I'm still unpacking boxes from the Big Move, and I'm building some book shelves so I can get all the books out of boxes and back where I can find them. And my new job has also been keeping my a bit busy. Besides, I've found that when I start taking things too seriously on this site, it helps to take a few “days off”, as it were...

So, MaddogK and jkcook28, it would make me feel better if you reconsidered your decision, but I understand if you don't.

MM
April 28th, 2010, 07:33
OT: Following in Gandy's footsteps, I'm going to fly David Garwood's absolutely first-rate Hawker Hunter for FSX. (This model is a spectacular upgrade from his earlier, great-at-the-time, Hunters for FS2004.)

As it happens, the Foreign Office is delighted with the splendid runs by the Black Arrows pilot from 111 Squadron. (Gandy!) With that success, British embassies all over the region have put in a request for further demonstrations of British aeronautic prowess. In response, the RAF has sent out another Hawker Hunter, this time from the legendary 92 (East India) Squadron. The squadron flew Spitfires in WWII, fighting over Dunkirk, in the Battle of Britain, over the Western Desert and El Alamein, over Malta and in the Italian campaign. During the war, its pilots claimed the most victories (317) of any squadron in the RAF. After the war, the reformed unit flew Gloster Meteors, North American Sabres, and finally Hunters in 1956.

This particular aircraft has been outfitted in the new "Blue Diamonds" livery in anticipation of the squadron's taking over from the Black Arrows as the service's official aerobatics display team. The pilot is under instructions to ignore fuel and distance and instead concentrate on putting on a show in the region's various national capitals.

:cool:

Willy
April 28th, 2010, 13:32
I'm surprised we haven't seen a MiG entered yet.

smilo
April 28th, 2010, 14:09

Haitun said he was going with the Mig-15
http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/showthread.php?t=34599&page=2
he just hasn't saddled up, yet.

PRB
May 2nd, 2010, 07:12
Since I lost the F-89 somewhere over the Java Sea (Indoneasian Triangle..?) I will start over with the Douglas A-3 Skywarrior.

smilo
May 2nd, 2010, 07:42
Since I lost the F-89 somewhere over the Java Sea (Indoneasian Triangle..?) I will start over with the Douglas A-3 Skywarrior.

WHAT?!?

the Scorpian was lost? :eek:

oh my

PRB
May 2nd, 2010, 07:53
WHAT?!?

the Scorpian was lost? :eek:

oh my

Well, sort of... The Alphasim F-89 has an "issue" with FSX in that the afterburners are difficult to turn off. You have to throttle back almost to idle to get them to stop. It's a little irritating, but when my computer froze up while over the Java Sea I got slightly disgusted, and have now decided to change planes. Besides, I really like the Alphasim A-3!

Willy
May 2nd, 2010, 07:58
Really liking it was the main reason I switched to the Argentinian Pulqui II. Itty bitty fuel tanks just mean I have to stop and gas up more often.

Firebar
May 3rd, 2010, 06:58
Hoping to be Nice and Lesiurely inbetween exam revision in a Handley Page Victor. Hopefully my new one in house livery will arrive from the sheds soon!

Haitun
May 4th, 2010, 20:58
Sorry guys, I was sent to HK by my boss for a business trip last week - will start in a day or two=).

powell341
May 4th, 2010, 21:39
sorry gents, but RL comes a calling and I wont be able to finish the race around the rim. I had a great time so far, and I wish everyone the best of luck.

Have fun,

Brian

falcon409
May 11th, 2010, 07:42
Better late than never Willy. Here it is:
Falcon409 will be flying the Mig-15 "NX151MG" and dedicated to Pilot Tom Righetti who was killed in this aircraft on his way to an Air Show at Oceana.

I will state here, that while I am flying the route as outlined with interim stops where necessary, I am not considering myself "in the competition". This is more for the fun of seeing how I can do on an extended trip like this. Tally Ho!

Willy
May 11th, 2010, 13:10
Now that's a fine looking MiG.

I didn't figure on winning anyway either. It's more about the adventure of completing the trip.

MM
May 11th, 2010, 14:32
Welcome, Ed. Join the sight-seeing team...we're the guys with grins on our faces. Should be a blast!

teson1
May 25th, 2010, 02:33
Just for the log.

Effective immediately I withdraw my participation to the Pacific Rim 50's Jet Race.

Just no time. If I keep going at the current pace ETA is in october ... 2011.
Another great party I'll miss...