PDA

View Full Version : I got to see the new Apple iPad yesterday

Lionheart
April 13th, 2010, 11:12
Hey all,

I went up to the local Mac shop yesterday and checked out the new iPad.

Goodness.... What a wild toy....

Here are my first impressions;
* Extreme (very very extreme) high definition screen. Watched some movies and tv shows and a game on it and you cannot imagine how high rez it is. Very impressive. The detail was non-pixulated, which makes me think its got one nice little graphics chip in it.
* Very thin. On the edges, its like the thickness of foamcore or cardboard. When you hold it, its like holding something like a thin board but on it is a super high rez screen, so its like a trick of the mind; 'how can this think card thing have such a nice screen on it? where do the put the parts that are 'in' it?'
* It seems heavy for so thin a device, but with the glass surface (not plastic) and the aluminum frame and battery inside, and all the computer elements within, I can only figure why it is so heavy. Standard running programs (not games and things that use alot of power) will yield a 8 hour run time before recharging.
* Super fast reaction of programs. You click the home button (round button on face, bottom center) and the screen blinks to the next program, etc. Lightning fast, like 'no reaction time' involved. Also, it rotates the view when you turn the unit.

The 3Gs version iPad should be available at the end of April, but probably on the 3rd or 4th of May, as like the regular WiFi version iPad was.

If you are thinking of getting one, you might wait and get the 3Gs. You have optional purchase 'air' time for when you are using the internet 'out and about' away from WiFi stations and you pay the minimum price for air time if you are under a certain air time, and if you go over, they have an unlimited price, 'locked' so you dont get all these bogus charges which 'certain' phone companies did to people in the past.

A giant iPod....!

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4030/4487016657_714992f16f.jpg

Bill

Snuffy
April 13th, 2010, 11:16
Seems awfullly big to be sticking up to yer ear and using as a phone .... :isadizzy:

tigisfat
April 13th, 2010, 11:33
Seems awfullly big to be sticking up to yer ear and using as a phone .... :isadizzy:

The more I understand it, the more I think it's just a big ipod touch. It's great, but it really doesn't have a place next to my iphone. If my iphone can't handle it, my laptop or desktop can. My iphon is my intermediate device, I don't need an intermediate intermediate device.

When those things can do everything a laptop can, I'm in.

kilo delta
April 13th, 2010, 12:11

http://www.metacafe.com/watch/681040/the_huge_cell_phone_and_yelling_prank/

:d

Lionheart
April 13th, 2010, 12:17

Yeah... That would be kind of stupid, wouldnt it.

Bill

cheezyflier
April 13th, 2010, 14:00
if you were say, a college student you might find it useful. you can still do papers and stuff on it, but you get a nice screen for doing social networking, and youtube, as well as movies, most coffee houses have free wifi, as well as libraries. but you don't have the bulk that comes with a laptop. otherwise, i don't see much use for it.

RyanJames170
April 13th, 2010, 14:43
I think i will pass on it unless i get a free one.. i think my ipod, iphone and Laptops are good enough for me.

Lionheart
April 13th, 2010, 14:58
I see a ton of uses for it.

* Cabin / trip computer; mainly internet then (with the 3Gs, that way you are not trapped at WiFi stations/hubs)
* Office Suite; will allow me to do manuals and things from anywhere; (local coffee shop is a laptop hangout, I can go there and do manuals now). This includes their word processor program, spreadsheets, and keynote. All the business stuff. These also can open up Windows based docs and spreadsheets. Hopefully it can export PDF's as well.
* Running it on the stand at home while working, I can play movies and podcasts while working on Max
* When its doing nothing, it makes a great digital photo frame; plays your choice of saved photo slide shows, etc. Apple has a unique set of slide show versions with animations.
* Media bank. Can hold most of my media library, so it will be a mobile stereo and TV
* Gaming..... I can play my air race game and several other games on it in 'huge' format now. (I use it for games often like when I cant sleep. iPhone that is. This can replace that).
* Adobe Sketch Book is similar to Photoshop, even has layers, works great in iPhone, so in iPad, it will be more feasible to use, being able to take photos and really rework them. I could probably do aircraft repaints on this as the program has airbrush, paint brush, etc... All the PS tools..
* You can dock camera's to it. Hopefully I can dock my iPhone to it when away and upload photos to the iPad, then rework the photos (if needed) via iPhoto or Sketchbook.

I can hardly wait for this thing...

Bill

GT182
April 13th, 2010, 15:19

If it's that big, it would be kinda big to shove in yer pocket. Looks like you'd need a "handbag" to carry it around. :rolleyes: And I ain't into handbags, or iPhones either. And for the price they want for one, I sure doesn't need an iPad.

You know what, it's name alone makes it sound like it's a personal feminine :monkies: product.

djscoo
April 13th, 2010, 16:11
if you were say, a college student you might find it useful. you can still do papers and stuff on it, but you get a nice screen for doing social networking, and youtube, as well as movies, most coffee houses have free wifi, as well as libraries. but you don't have the bulk that comes with a laptop. otherwise, i don't see much use for it.
There is one guy with an Ipad in my Mass Communication class, and us in the back row get a kick out of him trying to use it comfortably. It's just seems really awkward for typing and taking notes on because you either have to prop it up, hold it with one hand and type with the other, or type with it flat and stare at the screen looking straight down. As an e-reader and web-browser it seems to have a legitimate use, but for practical scholastic applications it's just cumbersome.

:d:

Wing_Z
April 13th, 2010, 16:15
Well..it's a device you didn't know you needed, which is what Apple tends to be about.
I am converted to iPhone, having soldiered on for years with "just a phone".

One thing I have noticed is that if you make use of 3GS you'd better have a little trolley in tow with a battery charger in it...

Skittles
April 13th, 2010, 17:06
I see a ton of uses for it.

* Cabin / trip computer; mainly internet then (with the 3Gs, that way you are not trapped at WiFi stations/hubs)

Which you can do on a laptop/netbook, for half the price/twice the specs. And don't even think about going on a flash based website. Does SOH use flash? Hulu does, as does NBC, HBO etc.

* Office Suite; will allow me to do manuals and things from anywhere; (local coffee shop is a laptop hangout, I can go there and do manuals now). This includes their word processor program, spreadsheets, and keynote. All the business stuff. These also can open up Windows based docs and spreadsheets. Hopefully it can export PDF's as well.

Which you can do on a laptop/netbook, for half the price/twice the specs. No limitations on programs installed/supported.

* Running it on the stand at home while working, I can play movies and podcasts while working on Max

Which is what a laptop does, for half the price/twice the specs. Not to mention that on the laptop you can multitask. Only first party applications can multitask on the Ipad, so I believe that you won't be able to have Max open with any other program/application.

* When its doing nothing, it makes a great digital photo frame; plays your choice of saved photo slide shows, etc. Apple has a unique set of slide show versions with animations.

Which no-one has ever actually done in the history of the universe/which you can do on a laptop/netbook, for half the price/twice the specs.

* Media bank. Can hold most of my media library, so it will be a mobile stereo and TV

Which you can do on a laptop/netbook, for half the price/three times the specs.

* Gaming..... I can play my air race game and several other games on it in 'huge' format now. (I use it for games often like when I cant sleep. iPhone that is. This can replace that).

Which you can do on a laptop/netbook, for half the price/twice the specs

* Adobe Sketch Book is similar to Photoshop, even has layers, works great in iPhone, so in iPad, it will be more feasible to use, being able to take photos and really rework them. I could probably do aircraft repaints on this as the program has airbrush, paint brush, etc... All the PS tools..

Which you can do on a laptop/netbook, for half the price/twice the specs/7000 times the functionality. Plus on a laptop you could actually TAKE a photo.

* You can dock camera's to it. Hopefully I can dock my iPhone to it when away and upload photos to the iPad, then rework the photos (if needed) via iPhoto or Sketchbook.

Which you can do on.......Nevermind. I think we can see where this is going. Of course you can't dock it with USB (unless you give Apple some more green stuff).

I can hardly wait for this thing...

Bill

Apple have got you suckered, my friend!

I hope you take this post as it is intentioned - tongue in cheek - but the points I make are valid.

I hold high hopes for the future but this first release version is frankly a poor product that will only do well because it has 'Apple' written on the back.

Cratermaker
April 13th, 2010, 18:30
I always have to laugh at the "But a netbook..." crowd. They just don't get:

The iPad DOES have a viable spot in the market place (why else would they make it/sell it?)

The thing that crowd always seems to overlook is that most people use a net book for surfing, e-mail, multi-media. All of which the iPad are perfectly capable of.

The iPad, generally speaking, has half the weight, half the thickness, and twice the battery life as a netbook. But you know what? When you make something more efficient (smaller, lighter, less power), IT COSTS MORE. Now I have kudos to the engineers at Apple for this product and the elegance of the design. But for all you GHz/MB counters out there, you will never get it.

That said, I don't think I will be getting one as I don't really need an in between my iPod touch and my REAL (non-netbook) laptop. :applause: If it fails in the market, that will be the reason why, not $, GHz, or GBytes.

Kiwikat
April 13th, 2010, 18:48
That said, I don't think I will be getting one as I don't really need an in between my iPod touch and my REAL (non-netbook) laptop. :applause: If it fails in the market, that will be the reason why, not $, GHz, or GBytes.

That's very well said- and the reason I won't be getting one.

With the new OS, the ipad has some real potential. If I didn't already have an ipod touch, i'd consider getting one.

Skittles
April 13th, 2010, 18:57
I always have to laugh at the "But a netbook..." crowd. They just don't get:

The iPad DOES have a viable spot in the market place (why else would they make it/sell it?)

The thing that crowd always seems to overlook is that most people use a net book for surfing, e-mail, multi-media. All of which the iPad are perfectly capable of.

The iPad, generally speaking, has half the weight, half the thickness, and twice the battery life as a netbook. But you know what? When you make something more efficient (smaller, lighter, less power), IT COSTS MORE. Now I have kudos to the engineers at Apple for this product and the elegance of the design. But for all you GHz/MB counters out there, you will never get it.

I get it perfectly well, thank you.

What is this perfectly viable spot in the market you mention? For a (slightly) smaller and (slightly) lighter product with significantly lower technical capabilities, for a significantly greater price?

It is technologically inferior in almost every way. I'm afraid the 'you just don't get it' factor doesn't really cut the mustard, and regardless is completely untrue. The weight and size make absolutely no difference whatsoever given you still can't fit it in a pocket and need a bag anyway.

Cratermaker
April 13th, 2010, 19:38
I get it perfectly well, thank you.

What is this perfectly viable spot in the market you mention? For a (slightly) smaller and (slightly) lighter product with significantly lower technical capabilities, for a significantly greater price?

It is technologically inferior in almost every way. I'm afraid the 'you just don't get it' factor doesn't really cut the mustard, and regardless is completely untrue. The weight and size make absolutely no difference whatsoever given you still can't fit it in a pocket and need a bag anyway.
So an iPod touch is not viable or a smartphone not viable because their (non-phone) technology is inferior to a net book in every way? I can fit a lap top "slightly" heavier than a netbook in a bag with much greater capabilities than a netbook, but ya know? Some people buy net books
because they are slightly smaller and lighter than a lap top! Go figure! :engel016:

Your statement that weight and size makes not matter has been proven wrong by netbooks: what you are promoting! lol

Don't let it scare you man! The market changes, ya know? :173go1:

Skittles
April 13th, 2010, 19:48
So an iPod touch is not viable or a smartphone not viable because their (non-phone) technology is inferior to a net book in every way? I can fit a lap top "slightly" heavier than a netbook in a bag with much greater capabilities than a netbook, but ya know? Some people buy net books
because they are slightly smaller and lighter than a lap top! Go figure! :engel016:

Your statement that weight and size makes not matter has been proven wrong by netbooks: what you are promoting! lol

Don't let it scare you man! The market changes, ya know? :173go1:
You can fit a phone in your pocket. The netbook or Ipad you can't. If you want a portable computer there isn't a great deal of difference between an Ipad and a netbook. There IS, however, a great difference between a phone and either product, or a laptop and either product.

Cratermaker
April 13th, 2010, 20:09
My notebook weighs 5 lbs., a net book weights what? 2-3 lbs.? The iPad 1.5 lb? I honestly don't see a huge range here personally, unless I'm trying to hold the device with one hand at the edge of it. I don't think your argument that the difference between a netbook and iPad is trivial but the difference between a netbook and notebook is huge is very convincing (unless you're talking about one of those gaming rigs that weigh a ton). But then again, what is too heavy and what isn't is a matter of opinion isn't it? Some people will want to shave off half the weight of netbook and go for an iPad.

Lionheart
April 13th, 2010, 20:31
Cracks me up how we get into these debates.

If we talk about a 747, shall people that hate 747's come in from all over to protest over 747's and claim Airbus' are the way to go!!!!????

WHATS UP?????

My chevy is faster then your ford....

Goodness. If you hate Apples, why comment?

I can hardly wait to get mine. I am going to really enjoy it. Dang thing reminds me of Star Trek TNG!

so there...

<--- Apple freak!

Bill

Lionheart
April 13th, 2010, 20:37
For the kid that has to hold it with one hand and type that you guys laugh at, maybe he just needs this.

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2711/4391377831_23637a6e5a_o.jpg

Oh Im not mad, heh heh... I am patient. I have stock in this company.

:ernae:

Kiwikat
April 13th, 2010, 20:43
Maybe it is just me but I don't understand the point of a detachable keyboard. If you gotta drag that thing around with you, what's the point of using an ipad to begin with? I'd rather deal with the touch screen keyboard or alternately, carry my laptop with me.

Skittles
April 13th, 2010, 20:47
Cracks me up how we get into these debates.

If we talk about a 747, shall people that hate 747's come in from all over to protest over 747's and claim Airbus' are the way to go!!!!????

WHATS UP?????

My chevy is faster then your ford....

Goodness. If you hate Apples, why comment?

I can hardly wait to get mine. I am going to really enjoy it. Dang thing reminds me of Star Trek TNG!

so there...

<--- Apple freak!

Bill

It's always worth providing a balanced view on these things. Helps people make informed decisions. Especially if there are a few false facts knocking about (e.g. the ability to multitask in an earlier post!). :salute:

djscoo
April 13th, 2010, 21:07
Maybe it is just me but I don't understand the point of a detachable keyboard. If you gotta drag that thing around with you, what's the point of using an ipad to begin with? I'd rather deal with the touch screen keyboard or alternately, carry my laptop with me.
Yeah...the Ipod Touch is the right size for thumb-typing, the Ipad is just a hair too wide, unless you have really long thumbs. I think the Ipad is neat right now, but I'll give it a few more generations to mature before I make my final decision on it.

Lionheart
April 13th, 2010, 21:41
Yeah...the Ipod Touch is the right size for thumb-typing, the Ipad is just a hair too wide, unless you have really long thumbs. I think the Ipad is neat right now, but I'll give it a few more generations to mature before I make my final decision on it.

Youre right. If you can only type with your thumbs, this would be worthless to you.

Excellent point.

It's always worth providing a balanced view on these things. Helps people make informed decisions. Especially if there are a few false facts knocking about (e.g. the ability to multitask in an earlier post!).

Skittles

A very valid point Skittles. Find all negative aspects of things and bring them out. Why didnt I think of that.

Oh, it will multi-task. Update after Summer, new OS. Old news. As a matter of fact, they didnt want to go to multi-tasking until they figured out a way to keep performance up to full and not draw down the performance of the units. Thus they have come out with a semi-revolutionary system that can run multi-tasking and keep the performance to maximum.

This will be out in iPhones (3Gs models) as well as 3rd generation iPod Touch models.

Bill

Lionheart
April 13th, 2010, 21:57
For those that have an honest interest in technology, here is a reason I was reallly into the iPad.

Years ago, about 11 years, I had the idea to take one of my HP Jornada PDA's (before iPhone) and take the motherboard and link it to a small 12" laptop screen. I called the idea a Notepad, like the portfolios you get at business stores. It would have a plastic leather like casing, and in it, (folded over) was a screen and keyboard, ultra ultra thin. I then thought, why not have the keyboard a second touch screen and have that the keyboard area, super thin, and you could change the key layouts to chinese, japanese, etc, per the international variant OS.

I was going to try to make one myself, and figured I didnt have the know-how.

I later submitted the idea to the President of HP, (just prior to the female CEO taking office there). I submitted my renderings, photos of my mockup (foam core model next to a Jornada), and ideas and reasons that would surround the design.

The concept was not to compete against Laptops, but to have a super affordable, super thin, ultra portable thing that was bigger then a Jornada, but about the same functionality.

For me, seeing the iPad is like this technology dream I had coming to fruition. The guys at Apple took an amazing PDA, made it much bigger, put an amazing, super high rez screen on it, made it a game machine as well, have now (soon) included multi-tasking, which I still think it didnt need, but they have done an excellent way of doing it, and I think this thing rocks. Thats my humble input and insight on this.

Shoot it down. I dont care. Doesnt hurt my feelings. Just makes me like it all the more. I know what its about, how extreme they went to make this work.. I am impressed with it.

For those of you trying to compare it to a laptop or notebook or netbook, give up. You are comparing a motorcycle to a car. Totally different bird.

Bill

stiz
April 13th, 2010, 23:57
I have stock in this company.

so doesnt that make all your apple threads advertising? :icon_lol:

just jokeing with ya bill :)

Lionheart
April 14th, 2010, 03:20
lololol.... sounds like it, eh?

nah.. I dont make any profit in you all buying their products. Its too huge of a market. 4 Sales would be nothing.

I am just sharing the info to those that might be interested.

Skittles
April 14th, 2010, 04:29
Youre right. If you can only type with your thumbs, this would be worthless to you.

Excellent point.

Has anyone ever told you that sarcasm is the lowest form of wit? :icon_lol:

Plenty of reviews Cnet/Engadget/Gizmodo etc have commented on the practical limitations of the keyboard, in that it is fatigueing and difficult to use. Since one of the many aims of the product is portability and ergonomically effective use this is a problem!

A very valid point Skittles. Find all negative aspects of things and bring them out. Why didnt I think of that.

Oh, it will multi-task. Update after Summer, new OS. Old news. As a matter of fact, they didnt want to go to multi-tasking until they figured out a way to keep performance up to full and not draw down the performance of the units. Thus they have come out with a semi-revolutionary system that can run multi-tasking and keep the performance to maximum.

This will be out in iPhones (3Gs models) as well as 3rd generation iPod Touch models.

If it was out now that would be absolutely fine, but it's not! The Ipad cannot multitask!
Bill

It will be interesting to see how it handles intensive programs/maintains performance through multitasking. But I think I'm right in saying that you

There's some interesting competitors lining up to enter the market, so within the next few months there'll be some choice available. The WePad will have a 11.6" display, a 1.66GHz processor, camera, 2 USB sockets, memory card reader etc. Then again that will cost even more than the Ipad for the respective memory capacities.

The HP slate will be worth a look. Stylus support, which I think is a bonus, 1.6GHz processor, upgradable memory via SD card, 1gb of RAM, memory card reader, front webcam and rear 3mp camera, and true HD video, unlike the Ipad.

Panther_99FS
April 14th, 2010, 05:02
What's the big deal, my niece had one for weeks now....:d

Cratermaker
April 14th, 2010, 05:02
The HP slate will be worth a look. Stylus support, which I think is a bonus, 1.6GHz processor, upgradable memory via SD card, 1gb of RAM, memory card reader, front webcam and rear 3mp camera, and true HD video, unlike the Ipad.
Projected to cost more and half the battery life and smaller screen. Oh and... psst It's not out yet!

Skittles
April 14th, 2010, 05:13
Projected to cost more and half the battery life and smaller screen. Oh and... psst It's not out yet!

The 64 gigabyte Ipad costs $829, the 64 gigabyte slate will cost $599. The screen is TINY bit smaller, and given that it can do full high definition wheras the Ipad can't do any, it's hardly a difficult compromise. And of course the battery life is halved, the specs are doubled.

I'm not sure why it matters that it's not out yet. Specifications are specifications.

Cratermaker
April 14th, 2010, 05:27
If it was out now that would be absolutely fine, but it's not! The Ipad cannot multitask!

I'm not sure why it matters that it's not out yet. Specifications are specifications.

Hmmm....

So NO ONE would want twice the battery life to pretty much do the same tasks that they would do on both devices: e-mail, web-surfing, video watching?

6297J
April 14th, 2010, 05:42
Well, whatever you think of them - it seems they can't make 'em quick enough!

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/8620195.stm

Cratermaker
April 14th, 2010, 06:49
Well, whatever you think of them - it seems they can't make 'em quick enough!

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/8620195.stm
True enough!

Here's a funny iPad video: "Clash of the iPad Trailer"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aiPXHOInmvE

My favorite line: "I guess it hasn't changed everything."

Maybe slightly NSFW due to language?

Wiens
April 14th, 2010, 11:29
The beauty of our free market/capitalist system is that you and I can buy it or not!!..............:bump:

Now off to finish my income taxes and write the big checks to the IRS and the state of Kansas......grrrr. Guess I won't be buying one due to lack of cash.

tigisfat
April 14th, 2010, 12:07
True enough!

Here's a funny iPad video: "Clash of the iPad Trailer"My favorite line: "I guess it hasn't changed everything."

Maybe slightly NSFW due to language?

HAHAHAHAhAHAHAHAHAHA!!!1:icon_lol:

That was hilarious. I do love my apple products though. My Iphone is awesome.

Chacha
April 14th, 2010, 12:19
I love the tutti fruitty product as well..

I enjoy my iPhone, my iPod and my iMac...

Can't complain...

Looking forward to purchase the iPad...

I want to wait for a little while.... :applause:

cheezyflier
April 14th, 2010, 13:59
i'm not into apple. i like brown asian pear much better

Lionheart
April 14th, 2010, 17:42
Banana's are also good.

Its funny that we are talking on costs. I was thinking about that this morning. I remember the Jornada 500 series, when it came out, the full maxed out model I think was the 540 or 560. It was $550.00 on up and didnt have a cell phone in it. Man, I had two of those things. I loved them. I had the earliest Jornada also that first came out, the very basic one.

They have come a long way.

To think that for $300.00 more, you get something like that is pretty nice, considering what all they can do now and the screen resolution they have.

I still have one of my old Jornada's. Cant let go of it, though I havent charged it in maybe 2 years, lol... Batt is probably gone by now.

Bill

Cratermaker
April 14th, 2010, 18:30
Weren't there a lot of "fruity" companies coming out of the woodwork back around the time of the initial huge success of the Apple II? Peach? Tangerine? etc.?

Also, anyone ever see an apple Newton in person?

Lionheart
April 15th, 2010, 00:22
Weren't there a lot of "fruity" companies coming out of the woodwork back around the time of the initial huge success of the Apple II? Peach? Tangerine? etc.?

Also, anyone ever see an apple Newton in person?

Hey CM,

None that I can remember; and nope on the Newton.

I was never an Apple fan until a couple of years ago. I did like their unit from many years ago, with that small monitor, the old yellowing plastic normal computer type cases for back then. I used to see those things everwhere but never got to get onto the console of one.

Bill