PDA

View Full Version : Whatever happened to Mike Stone?

tigisfat
April 13th, 2010, 01:28
He was once a major player, and produced countless aircraft when few were. Surely, some developers here that've been at it since the early days had to have known him. I've only heard rumors that he got fed up with everyone and quit the hobby. Until they are substantiated, I'll just consider them rumors.

What's he up to now? Where'd he go, and why did he quit making freeware? Surely someone that knows as much as he did could've turned into a great modern payware developer.

Ferry_vO
April 13th, 2010, 02:32
he got fed up with everyone and quit the hobby.

That's exactly what happened.

JayKae
April 13th, 2010, 05:17
That's exactly what happened.

Thats right, I actually host his whole collection ( might be one or two missing ) at this link:

http://fsfiles.org/PA/index.php?act=view&id=13

With Mike's permission of course

cheezyflier
April 13th, 2010, 05:58
well, that's not what i heard. i heard he was a c.i.a. operative who embedded code into his models that allowed the agency to study people's flight sim usage for possible adaptation to real life scenarios. when he finished compiling the data, he was assigned to another "black" project. it's all very hush-hush. sources who listen in on the feed from langley hint at a similar operation involving a mind reading technique and certain off-world technologies that were reverse engineered from captured greys that are kept in stasis under holston mountain in tennessee.

krazycolin
April 13th, 2010, 06:11
really? I KNEW IT!!!!! FSX could NEVER have been done by "earthers"....

hews500d
April 13th, 2010, 06:11
well, that's not what i heard. i heard he was a c.i.a. operative who embedded code into his models that allowed the agency to study people's flight sim usage for possible adaptation to real life scenarios. when he finished compiling the data, he was assigned to another "black" project. it's all very hush-hush. sources who listen in on the feed from langley hint at a similar operation involving a mind reading technique and certain off-world technologies that were reverse engineered from captured greys that are kept in stasis under holston mountain in tennessee.

Cheezy, I'm rolling on the floor after reading that, actually have tears in my eyes !!! Wait.... I live close to Holston Mountain...hope I don't disappear :toilet:

Darrell

Bone
April 13th, 2010, 06:14

Damn that's funny!

Dain Arns
April 13th, 2010, 06:31

That would explain why Buzz Aldrin was on "Dancing With The Stars"... Hmmmm. :kilroy:

Ferry_vO
April 13th, 2010, 06:50
So I guess this is you then Cheezy:

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a262/Ferror/Diversen/tinfoil-hat1.jpg

:d

Shylock
April 13th, 2010, 07:24
Lmao I wanted to inquire about Mike as well until I read cheezy post and that was hella funny lol. On a serious note, our hobby really misses Mike Stone and his work. I know I for sure do.

michael davies
April 13th, 2010, 08:40
The morale of the story here guys is "don't look a gift horse in the mouth", whilst many developers don't always give you exactly what you want, they do try to give something.

CheckSix
April 13th, 2010, 09:00
The morale of the story here guys is "don't look a gift horse in the mouth", whilst many developers don't always give you exactly what you want, they do try to give something.

Excellent post. :salute:

Dain Arns
April 13th, 2010, 09:09

Yes indeed, Michael.
And they are doing it for their own pleasure and enjoyment, not someone else's.
Some folks don't understand the concept of being quietly thankful for what they have been graciously given.
A simple "Thank you!" is often all that is truly needed, and wanted.

tigisfat
April 13th, 2010, 10:09
Yes indeed, Michael.
Some folks don't understand the concept of being quietly thankful for what they have been graciously given.
A simple "Thank you!" is often all that is truly needed, and wanted.

Mike Stone's work was free, and we should and are be eternally thankful. I don't know who drummed him out, but I never saw it. I hope it wasn't anyone I know.

You said most developers: I won't be "quietly thankful" for a product that I paid money for. I'll either be publically thankful or seeking to warn others.

cajj1
April 13th, 2010, 10:14
It seems that Mike Stone is now occupying himself building model ships such as the Cutty Sark here.

However, many of the comments posted on his site aren't about his ship models but are more along the lines of "Hey where can I download the planes?"

Dain Arns
April 13th, 2010, 10:21
Mike Stone's work was free, and we should and are be eternally thankful. I don't know who drummed him out, but I never saw it. I hope it wasn't anyone I know.

You said most developers: I won't be "quietly thankful" for a product that I paid money for. I'll either be publically thankful or seeking to warn others.

Never said "Most developers". Don't misquote me and then condemn me for something I never said or inferred.

tigisfat
April 13th, 2010, 10:22
It seems that Mike Stone is now occupying himself building model ships such as the Cutty Sark here.

However, many of the comments posted on his site aren't about his ship models but are more along the lines of "Hey where can I download the planes?"

haha!! That looks beautiful. That dude has a lot of talent.

side note: It's a crying shame that we lost the cutty sark.

Dain Arns
April 13th, 2010, 10:24

Beautiful work! :applause:

roger-wilco-66
April 13th, 2010, 11:44
[...]
[...]

Maybe I misunderstand this, but I doubt that this matter can be generalized like this. I think, doing something that someone else enjoys is most certainly part of "their own pleasure and enjoyment". Otherwise there would be no real point in releasing something free to the public.
I also think that criticism and being thankful can go along together. If someone is pointing something out politely and with the goal of improvement, as a developer I would be glad to hear this. At last, it could be something important that I have missed myself and feel that this should be corrected. It just all depends on how this is done. I'm glad I see this here at SOH being done that way (mostly), very professional.

my 2 ct.

Cheers,
Mark

tigisfat
April 13th, 2010, 12:08
Never said "Most developers". Don't misquote me and then condemn me for something I never said or inferred.

Your comment was a piggyback of Michael's comment. He said "most developers", therefore it was positively implied by you. Next time I'll multiquote, sorry.

grumpos
April 13th, 2010, 13:26

It wasn't just bitching that drove Mike out. He also had personal issues to deal with.

A great guy. :guinness:

Dain Arns
April 13th, 2010, 13:47
Your comment was a piggyback of Michael's comment. He said "most developers", therefore it was positively implied by you. Next time I'll multiquote next time, sorry.

YOU are the one that started this thread about a freeware developer. :icon_lol:
I thought it was obvious Mr. Davies' comment is in regards to Mr. Stone's demise from the FS community. "The moral of the story..."?
I was in agreement with Mr Davie'scomment regarding Mr. Stone.

YOU are the one who misconstrued my comment to include payware developers by making your own implication, and using my name to do so:

... You said most developers: I won't be "quietly thankful" for a product that I paid money for. I'll either be publically thankful or seeking to warn others.

Nothing was positively implied by me at all about anything else, except in regards to Mr. Stone's situation. :salute:

Gramps
April 13th, 2010, 13:56
EASY fellers!!!

michael davies
April 13th, 2010, 14:06
Maybe I misunderstand this, but I doubt that this matter can be generalized like this. I think, doing something that someone else enjoys is most certainly part of "their own pleasure and enjoyment". Otherwise there would be no real point in releasing something free to the public.
I also think that criticism and being thankful can go along together. If someone is pointing something out politely and with the goal of improvement, as a developer I would be glad to hear this. At last, it could be something important that I have missed myself and feel that this should be corrected. It just all depends on how this is done. I'm glad I see this here at SOH being done that way (mostly), very professional.

my 2 ct.

Cheers,
Mark

There is always an element of truth in that above statement, whilst I cannot speak for others I do personally find my subject criteria is in part driven by what will others think, and in payware, what would sell (again what do others think). The real self less guys...and Piglet is a prime example...really do not care (and thats not meant in a dismissive way) what others think and build exactly what they want. However my gut feeling is that many developers do actually want to please people and will look toward them for accolades etc, we're all human after all and a big part of the human physic is to 'fit in' and as a species we achieve that by either subtly mimicking our environment or looking for acceptance in some form or another.

Regarding Mr Stone, whilst it may not have been any singular person or a small group of people or other issues, it was in part to the endless questions and snipes here and there, giving something for free is fine but then hand holding installation or issues or where to get this or where did that repaint come from I feel can go a little beyond what the original author envisaged, sometimes end users have to self help, if not only to learn a little more about files and general FS things, but also to release a hand holding load from the developer. Being as Mr Stone was so prolific you can soon see why the mail box would fill up.

Nearly all people here are quite capable of self help or posting here to achieve their ends and thus limit nagging to the developer, but SoH forms a very small part of the FS community and sadly there are places and folks who are not as 'polite' as we see here.

michael davies
April 13th, 2010, 14:14
Your comment was a piggyback of Michael's comment. He said "most developers", therefore it was positively implied by you. Next time I'll multiquote, sorry.

With respect, I said 'many', the exact figure is subjective and un-quantifiable, should one say some, many, most or a few ?, there is no way to quantify the actual number of people in the statement, there fore there is no real correct or incorrect term to use :).

A better repose would have been, "a number of developers do try to give what they think the community wants to the best of their ability, if given freely it should be accepted at face value as such".

tigisfat
April 13th, 2010, 14:22
Regarding Mr Stone, whilst it may not have been any singular person or a small group of people or other issues, it was in part to the endless questions and snipes here and there, giving something for free is fine but then hand holding installation or issues or where to get this or where did that repaint come from I feel can go a little beyond what the original author envisaged, sometimes end users have to self help, if not only to learn a little more about files and general FS things, but also to release a hand holding load from the developer. Being as Mr Stone was so prolific you can soon see why the mail box would fill up.

That makes sense. That's not to mention that freeware is downloaded a lot more than anything else. Mike probably had 100's of thousands of 'customers', some of my simple and lame freeware went over the 10's of thousands in downloads over time. His service to us was to populate fight sim when there wasn't much to speak of, not to produce software akin to what we pay for now. Even then, he was on the cutting edge for a long time.

If I even recieved 20 disparaging emails, it'd seem like a big deal to me. I can't imagine what happened to him. To think, people were counting his rivets back when dynamic shine and 12 sided fuselae were a big deal.

Lateral-G
April 13th, 2010, 14:34
......but SoH forms a very small part of the FS community and sadly there are places and folks who are not as 'polite' as we see here.

Boy, you said a mouthful there brother........

-G-

michael davies
April 13th, 2010, 15:05
Boy, you said a mouthful there brother........

-G-

LOL, an odd comma or two would have helped :), I'm just learning the basics of spelling, gramma comes later LOL.:salute:

MCDesigns
April 13th, 2010, 15:48
LOL, an odd comma or two would have helped :), I'm just learning the basics of spelling, gramma comes later LOL.:salute:

LMAO!

While I felt Mike was a great developer and a benefit to the community, I felt he cared to much about what the public thought as it seemed to really set him off more than I felt it should. I guess he was developing less for himself and more for the public. I never used any of his addons since he felt that VCs weren't needed and never included any, could explain being so prolific, hmmmm

harleyman
April 13th, 2010, 18:08
Last I heard was a post on his site back when he stopped that simply said he was done..had enough and was moving on...

I did not personally know hih at all..but I so loved hiw work and dedication to our community.

tigisfat
April 13th, 2010, 18:26
LMAO!

While I felt Mike was a great developer and a benefit to the community, I felt he cared to much about what the public thought as it seemed to really set him off more than I felt it should. I guess he was developing less for himself and more for the public. I never used any of his addons since he felt that VCs weren't needed and never included any, could explain being so prolific, hmmmm

He also probably could have never released so many aircraft if he did VCs. I'm VC only now, but I used to hate the because 2Ds just looked better.

That old FS2004 F-16 with the viewable pilot inside changed that for me.

Henry
April 13th, 2010, 18:29
personally untill fsx
i never gave a hoot about vc's
Mike made some great models
i have been around for a little bit
and have seen many good talents just dissapear
for different reasons health, just disappointment
the freeware providers im sure have an ego of some kind
maybe just gratification that they have dome something that others like
its always sad to me when we lose
a talent
for whatever reason
and sometimes we the rivet counters
just drive them away
just wish i had talent
H

cheezyflier
April 13th, 2010, 18:56
So I guess this is you then Cheezy:

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a262/Ferror/Diversen/tinfoil-hat1.jpg

:d

heck no! i make a way better hat than that one (being a sheetmetal worker and all) and i'm not the pretty boy with hollywood looks that that guy is :wavey:

Piglet
April 13th, 2010, 19:09
I guess everyone has their breaking point. Or the point where they just say, time to move on.
My weapon against all the naysayers, nit picks, idiots, etc...

krazycolin
April 13th, 2010, 20:12
When I reach my breaking point, I just call my lawyer and sue... it doesn't matter who... the weird guy with the tin-foil hat looks like a good target!

viking3
April 13th, 2010, 21:18
I have never understood how some one "playing" on a $1000 computer with a 17" monitor and the cat sleeping on his desk can "demand" realism and details that CAE, the world's #1 commercial simulator manufacturer would have a hard time recreating. IIRC, the A-320 sim at Air Canada cost $10,000,000+ and it still has limitations as to it's reproduction of reality. :a1451: Every person driven out of the hobby by negativity and unreal expectations is 1 less possible Milton Schupe or Rick Piper or John Terrell. Gratitude and encouragement are the food of artists, they need that to grow.

Regards, Rob:ernae:

crashaz
April 13th, 2010, 21:22
Then again it seems like every thread in every flight sim forum has the capability of turning into a cable news talking heads argument.

Blech... Hey Tim... you have a channel changing button? :icon_lol:

Lateral-G
April 14th, 2010, 06:18
personally untill fsx
i never gave a hoot about vc's

My feelings/sentiments exactly. I never have used a 2D panel in FSX.

Strange how this comment has also been echoed by many others as well.

-G-

tigisfat
April 14th, 2010, 06:44
Then again it seems like every thread in every flight sim forum has the capability of turning into a cable news talking heads argument.

Blech... Hey Tim... you have a channel changing button? :icon_lol:

yeah, you're right.

How long ago was it that he left? It was a long time ago, right?

Mike, if you're reading this, we hope you come back and join the community in any capacity someday. I thank you for what you've done in the past.:salute:

gera
April 14th, 2010, 08:51
I can easily say that my happiest sim day was the day I found Mikeīs page and downloaded almost all that day on my slow phone connection!!!!!...his planes were a lot of fun, I will always thank the guy......hope you are happy Mike...........:wavey:

I still fly some of Mikeīs planes....remember this one?

http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d145/scratchbuilt/NICA-MAR-02.png

Chacha
April 14th, 2010, 08:59
I can easily say that my happiest sim day was the day I found Mikeīs page and downloaded almost all that day on my slow phone connection!!!!!...his planes were a lot of fun, I will always thank the guy......hope you are happy Mike...........:wavey:

http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d145/scratchbuilt/NICA-MAR-02.png

GERA,

Good to see you man....

I miss your mission flights, man.... :ernae:

tigisfat
April 14th, 2010, 10:24
GERA,

Good to see you man....

I miss your mission flights, man.... :ernae:

My happiest sim day was when I discovered the ability to put aftermarket aircraft in. I downloaded Mike Stone's P-3 for FSFW95 and it took me an hour to figure out how to get it going. Once I did, it was on and never changed.

Mike truly is a founding father if this hobby. It really is a full fledged hobby now thanks to guys like him. I liken it to model railroading for those who don't understand. Some produce addons, others craft, others install manufactured addons into thei setup...so on and so forth. Your version of MSFS is like a model train set. You and I may have a locomotive or two in common, but ultimately every setup is different.

gera
April 14th, 2010, 12:23
Hi Chacha.... Good to see you too man, long time no?.... I still make Missions and Flights, check them out in Flightsim and Simviation....did you check the Nepal Episodes?, two more and they will be finished, its all about Nepalīs new face.......doing the Arapaima one now.....:kilroy:

Ken Stallings
April 14th, 2010, 13:01

I just called the FBI.

Expect a phone call any moment now! :icon_lol:

Ken

cheezyflier
April 14th, 2010, 14:07
me and feebies are....aquainted from way, WAY back :icon_lol:

Chacha
April 14th, 2010, 14:20
Hi Chacha.... Good to see you too man, long time no?.... I still make Missions and Flights, check them out in Flightsim and Simviation....did you check the Nepal Episodes?, two more and they will be finished, its all about Nepalīs new face.......doing the Arapaima one now.....:kilroy:

Hey Gera,

I have been busy lately and have not been active on my missions.
But I still fly FSX and FS9....
I am glad you're back..
Your missions are really great to try....
A lot of surprises... :)

... back to topic :pop4: