PDA

View Full Version : This looks like some rugged bush country...

bull494
April 12th, 2010, 22:01
Soldier Bar (U85) in Idaho.

OBIO
April 12th, 2010, 22:59
I do a good bit of flying in Idaho (in sim that is). Using Rhumbaflappy's world mesh (LOD 7)....Idaho is a really nice place for bush flying and looking at scenery. I haven't flown out of Soldier Bar, but have flown out of and into all of the USFS strips...some of them are quite challenging and it pays to select the right airplane.

OBIO

dogknot
April 13th, 2010, 06:41
Soldier Bar is a USFS strip. There are a couple of pretty good renditions available, but a really good one (IMO) is within the scenery pkg by Kobbe Farwick. It is available at flightsim library.
idstrips.zip

bull494
April 13th, 2010, 06:46
Looks like I will be taking a trip to Soldier Bar. I've been kinda hooked on the Idaho strips since trying Allison Ranch.

dogknot
April 13th, 2010, 10:26
If it turns out you like Kobbe Farwick's rendition of the 4 strips in idstrips.zip, then be sure to pick up his Idaho Strips 2 for 4 more challenging and nicely done strips. There is some gorgeous country to be seen, and maneuvered through, with just these two pkgs. (and of course Dangerousdave's Allison Ranch)

also at flightsim: idahost2.zip

Add in the freeware FSGenesis The Rockies terrain mesh, change to TERRAIN_MAX_VERTEX_LEVEL=20 in the FS9.CFG, and Wow! You're flying in some awesome elk country.

adhockey
April 13th, 2010, 19:35
Looks like you got the right angle on your 1st screen shot, Dogknot. The ridges line up nicely with the real shot at top!

FS can really nail it sometimes (with the right mesh, scenery, and aircraft).

bull494
April 13th, 2010, 19:44
Thanks Dogknot... I'll give those a go later this week.