PDA

View Full Version : Large squares in ocean textures

bpfowler
April 12th, 2010, 15:33
I noticed that another simmer had the same issue I find in my latest install: no matter which water textures I use, the ocean is always contains large irregularly-placed squares colored a little differently than the other parts of teh water, for example dark blue gainst a purple body of water at sunset...

Havent got a screenie on me now, but will post later.

anybody got a link , faq, or suggestion on this?

geforce 7600, 2gigs ram, lower end pentium dual core

cheerio
brady

aeromed202
April 12th, 2010, 16:12
Ok there may be two phenomena here. First is the repeating pattern which I believe is dependent on how artistic the maker is. And second is squares that appear in different hues which I believe is caused by a maxed out system trying to load as fast as it can.

OBIO
April 12th, 2010, 17:09
The best way I have found to avoid the odd water squares....is to fly over the desert. Problem solved!

OBIO

smilo
April 12th, 2010, 17:23
The best way I have found to avoid the odd water squares....is to fly over the desert. Problem solved!

OBIO

sorry to hear that you put
your seaplanes in the hanger
and that you won't be cruising around the Pacific Northwest anymore.
not much desert around here. :icon_lol:

ThinkingManNeil
April 12th, 2010, 18:00
I've noticed smaller, whitish squares along shorelines instead of breaking waves. Also, this seems to be translating to the Northern Lights as well; instead of the nice effect seen in the Aurora thread I got large, flat, vividly multi-coloured polygonal sheets when I took my Beech 300 out of Whitehorse in the Yukon on a flight to Yellowknife in the NWT when climbing through 13K on the way to 19,000 feet. Very odd and un-aurora-like.

N.

dogknot
April 12th, 2010, 18:19
I noticed that another simmer had the same issue I find in my latest install: no matter which water textures I use, the ocean is always contains large irregularly-placed squares colored a little differently than the other parts of teh water, for example dark blue gainst a purple body of water at sunset...

Havent got a screenie on me now, but will post later.

anybody got a link , faq, or suggestion on this?

geforce 7600, 2gigs ram, lower end pentium dual core

cheerio
brady

IIRC, this is a FS2004 long-standing issue. The "fix" or "tweak" is to set your sight distance to 60 miles or less in weather display (preferrably 30 mi). Anything higher than 60 miles and above 20,000 feet, you will see the water square tiles in fs2004 no matter the addons used.

OBIO
April 12th, 2010, 18:41
sorry to hear that you put
your seaplanes in the hanger
and that you won't be cruising around the Pacific Northwest anymore.
not much desert around here. :icon_lol:

Put my floaters away? NEVER! I think I spend more of my flight time in float and amphib planes than I do in wheeled planes. My "solution" to the water squares was just my attempt to live up to the SOH "creed": Let being helpful be more important than being right. And since I have been told many thousands of times "You're just not right"...I figured I give being helpful a try. Well, in a tongue-in-cheek manner anyhow.

OBIO

bpfowler
April 12th, 2010, 19:42
hmm the sight distance.....gonna try that this evening.

it may well be a maxed-out system. But mostly it acts pretty well.
guess I should spring for the better vidcard come me birthday

thanks for the suggestions, gents!

alastairmonk
April 13th, 2010, 00:56
Hi,

In many ways this is unavoidable at night as FS2004 switches from daytime to night time textures. If you're aiming to take screenshots simply adjust the angle to try and avoid the "patchwork" effect.

Alastair

brad kaste
April 13th, 2010, 06:24
IIRC, this is a FS2004 long-standing issue. The "fix" or "tweak" is to set your sight distance to 60 miles or less in weather display (preferrably 30 mi). Anything higher than 60 miles and above 20,000 feet, you will see the water square tiles in fs2004 no matter the addons used.
I'm glad this water phenomena has been posted. And I've always thought it was something I had not adjusted within the settings, or a compatibility issue using different water textures.

bpfowler
April 13th, 2010, 07:56
tried the 40 mile weather radius and it worked a charm in chicago and honolulu.
I was getting daytime water squares, and they aint there no more. It's quite remarkable!

Clearly my vid card is maxing out, now that the water tex are sorted a bit I can see how hard it's working to render cloud and water. Looks great, nontheless. Just takes a while to get thar.

Now, onto testing at twilite, per alastairmonk's point.

Very pleased! Thanks Dogknot, good tip.

aardvark62
April 13th, 2010, 08:29
Hi ThinkingManNeil

Sounds like your problem is missing textures - check your 'texture' folder in the 'effects' folder for fx_aurora.bmp, fx_swoosh.bmp and fx_swoosh2.bmp. If they are not present you will need to copy them over from the install disc (or send me a PM with you e-mail address). If that' not the problem, them I'm stumped ...!

A.

smilo
April 13th, 2010, 17:39
Put my floaters away? NEVER! I think I spend more of my flight time in float and amphib planes than I do in wheeled planes. My "solution" to the water squares was just my attempt to live up to the SOH "creed": Let being helpful be more important than being right. And since I have been told many thousands of times "You're just not right"...I figured I give being helpful a try. Well, in a tongue-in-cheek manner anyhow.

OBIO

reading your other posts,
I pretty much figured you for a floater junkie.
sooo, I couldn't pass the chance to jerk your chain.
it's all in fun.
and just for the record,
I think you are one of the most helpful around.

back to topic;
thanks for the thread Brady
and thanks for the solution, Brent
I have throttled back my setting a bit, too
looks good
thanks again

now, where did I moor that Beaver?

bpfowler
April 14th, 2010, 15:48
welp,
to wrap up my contribution to this thread:
I tested at twilight and dawn, and got clear, smooth surfaces throughout.

My cloud view distance is set at 40 miles, and everything looks fantastic.

yee-haw!