PDA

View Full Version : Amsterdam EHAM

Wing_Z
April 12th, 2010, 01:53
I installed Aerosoft's Schiphol scenery recently.
I like to take a helicopter tour of new airports to get orientated, and co-incidentally found a live ATC feed for the EHAM tower at liveatc.net.
ATC guys are the coolest of people, and it's nice to hear local accents in the sim.
Thought I'd share a small clip of the flyby:

RjY-DT8vk3I

Cees Donker
April 12th, 2010, 02:36
We call that 'charcoal-English' over here.

:salute:

Cees

Wing_Z
April 12th, 2010, 03:00
ah...you'll have to explain...;)

Maarten -
April 12th, 2010, 06:14
Kia Ora!

What Cees (probably) means to say ;-) is that it is a Dutch way to speak English. My Mum used to say it is Dutch with some strange English accent. In middle school I had a teacher English who was very proud of the fact that he had learned his English on the docks of Liverpool. When we got a new teacher who really could speak the lingo, we had to learn sounds and grammar all over again.:isadizzy: Indeed, it's a dizzy old world.

My holiday in and around Auckland (Waiheke, Howick, Coromandel Peninsula, North Land) last January was quite instructive as well. I had to get used to the Kiwi way of pronouncing some words, but most challenging was the Invercargill lingo (I learned that when I hear the expression "deery farm" it has nothing to do with deer).

BTW, 2.5 months on and I really miss being in NZ. It has been one of the best periods in my life and I made a lot of friends. Kiwis rock!

Cheers,
Maarten

Wing_Z
April 12th, 2010, 12:30
Ha ha well I hope you enjoyed some "fush 'n chups" ! :d
And now you know where NZ is, come visit again!
We've had a long glorious summer (actually we are hoping for a little rain now...)

Maarten -
April 12th, 2010, 13:00
You bit I will, mate. Won't be long till I'm theer again. :)

And yeah, the Summer was magic. Waiheke was really dry except for two firm showers during the time I was there (3-11 Jan). At the same time wee Holland was one "huge" Winter Wonderland and very cold (I do mean: baltic!) So good I wasn't there at the time. (ha ha ha)