PDA

View Full Version : Northern Lights

Wing_Z
April 10th, 2010, 17:22
I had heard they were in FS9, but never experienced them.
I had blundered into the northern Atlantic, somewhere east of Greenland, shortly after sunset...

http://i64.photobucket.com/albums/h200/CHARL_photos/SOH/NorthernLights.jpg

The effect is quite unexpected, and transient.
Well done, MS!

pVSeCdEcVMI

Flyboy208
April 10th, 2010, 17:47
Very cool Mate, yes the ACES team did a fine job of incorporating this occurance into FS9.

Need to fire up a proper Northern Lights flight meself! Mike :jump:

Wing_Z
April 10th, 2010, 17:52
It was just unexpected, and quite cool.
After I uploaded and linked the clip, I did notice that I may be the very last person in a queue of several hundred to have had the experience, and been driven to upload a video of it to Youtube.
There are some quite good ones, too! :redface:

HorusJ
April 10th, 2010, 18:04
The Lights took me by surprise too the first time I saw them,heading north-northwest out of Moscow some miles out at sunset.I couldn't take my eyes off it.

Clarke123
April 10th, 2010, 18:30
If you go to simviation.com and search Michael Webber you'll find improved more colourful FX

Wing_Z
April 11th, 2010, 19:01
Bit rich perhaps for my taste...

Apparently you can hear the lights when they appear over a quiet and chilly landscape - they make a swishing sound!

whitehawk_2009
April 11th, 2010, 19:38
Looks like Rainbow Sherbet... mmmmmmm

WH

MaddogK
April 12th, 2010, 09:11
Scared the crap outta me the first time I saw it, thought my video card was failing. Now I'm used to it, will even install the new colorful fx file.

Wild Bill Kelso
April 25th, 2010, 08:07
Just did the Buffalo's Mackenzie River cargo run from Yellowknife to Norman Wells (FSMetar/Vatsim real weather, took off about one hour before sunset):

http://i603.photobucket.com/albums/tt112/wildbillkelso_berlin/auroraborealis1.jpg

http://i603.photobucket.com/albums/tt112/wildbillkelso_berlin/auroraborealis2.jpg

I think I installed some tweaked northern lights, but please don't ask me whose these are...

Cheers,
Markus.

Ralf Roggeveen
April 25th, 2010, 21:51
You should have landed. Joanna Lumley might have been down there...;)

Wing_Z
April 26th, 2010, 01:23
You should have landed. Joanna Lumley might have been down there...;)
I saw that programme just the other night!
Joanna fulfilling a childhood dream...sitting out there all night, waiting for the Lights.
I'd have landed my A380 on the frozen duckpond if I'd known.

Z-claudius24
April 26th, 2010, 02:30
Hi,

The most impressive is to see them in real world :)
I see some when I was in the New Foundfland and Labrador .. and also in Baffin Straight
Very impressive.

CG_1976
April 26th, 2010, 04:11
Hi,

The most impressive is to see them in real world :)
I see some when I was in the New Foundfland and Labrador .. and also in Baffin Straight
Very impressive.

Wait till you get up here in Yellowknife, there even more impressive and powerful:jump:. Had a excellent show live last night from my dock.

Wild Bill Kelso
April 26th, 2010, 04:21
... Had a excellent show live last night from my dock.
You mean these effects I experienced yesterday while hauling groceries up Mackenzie River were accurate?
Wow!
How does my FS know this real life occurance...? :d

CG_1976
April 26th, 2010, 04:41
The magnitude/beauty is just unexplainable. If you google images Yellowknife northern Lights, you'll see many pics in many variations of the lights/colors and patterns.

Z-claudius24
April 26th, 2010, 04:55
Hi,

Was somedays at Frobisher Bay ( Iqaluit ) but unfortunately these days nothing happened.

Wing_Z
April 26th, 2010, 12:49
Is it true you can hear a swishing sound when they arrive?