PDA

View Full Version : I'm not sure I want to do this just yet, but for future reference...

redrooster
November 9th, 2008, 11:12
...How do I make a seperate install of CFS2 for say, the Korean War? I've been looking at the Fox Four campaigns and the site recommends using a seperate install of CFS2 in order to keep everything uncluttered. Do I just install the CFS2 discs to to a seperate directory? Will CFS2 have any problems with being installed twice? I'm assuming that I will need to create a seperate shortcut icon, will I need to rename anything else?

Thanks for your help guys!

redrooster

bearcat241
November 9th, 2008, 12:57
We should make this question a sticky...it seems to resurface once a week -- so regularly that its almost like clockwork. The solutions are always the same. If you have a clean install already with none or few addons, just make a copy of it and name the copy CFS2 Korea. This is where all of your new Korea addons will go.

If your current install is heavily customized already with objects and scenery for other theaters, use the following solution:

1--make a copy of your current customized install
2--name the copy as Combat Flight Simulator 2.0
3--completely delete the original Combat Flight Simulator 2 folder
4--run the installation CD to create a new "clean" install
5--name the new Combat Flight Simulator 2 install as CFS2 Korea
6--rename the copy Combat Flight Simulator 2.0 back to Combat Flight Simulator 2

ckissling
November 9th, 2008, 13:18
Redrooster
There is info on multi-installs at cfs2 add-ons, utilities page 1. It's called
cfs1 objects removal & multi-install read-me. ckissling

redrooster
November 9th, 2008, 13:22
Thanks guys! Like I said, I'm not sure if I'm going to do this right now, but I saved the directions posted for future reference. Thanks again:ernae:

redrooster

Devildog73
November 9th, 2008, 15:01
The old DOS rename method is what I use.
I install CFS2 normally. then go into My Computer and rename Combat Flight Simulator 2 to "rem Combat Flight Simulator 2".
Then, I install a new install and tell it CUSTOM.
When it asks the path, I insert"\ATO\" between C:\Program Files\Microsoft Games and Combat Flight Simulator 2.

I do this over and over again until I have the below:

C:\Program Files\Microsoft Games\Combat Flight Simulator 2
C:\Program Files\Microsoft Games\ATO\Combat Flight Simulator 2
C:\Program Files\Microsoft Games\ETO\Combat Flight Simulator 2
C:\Program Files\Microsoft Games\KTO\Combat Flight Simulator 2
C:\Program Files\Microsoft Games\MTO\Combat Flight Simulator 2
C:\Program Files\Microsoft Games\PTO\Combat Flight Simulator 2

I remove the remark "rem" from the original and create shortcuts to each on my desktop and also to MB for each. I leave the original unaltered, the others are where I do my mods.
You then copy and paste the above threads into a cfs2.ini file and put it in your root directory. Somewhere on here there is a multi install tutorial that explains the cfs2.ini.

Devildog73
November 9th, 2008, 15:04
Oh, and then I use Lawdog's sounds and remove all Pacific aircraft from installs that do not need them. You also have to remove all mention of Japanese and USN aircraft from any DAT and other files and make sure all of your aircraft are NOT aliased to the sound in one of the deleted PTO aircraft.

pawport
November 10th, 2008, 15:28
Some years ago I've downloaded from french cfs2 site small utility called EasyMultinstall (I've looked in to my zip file to find out who was the author of it but couldn't find any ref.)

It's basicly small dos file with .bat extension that renames all necessary folders and files to run CFS2 in different configurations. I have only 1 CFS install but 3 (for now) different theaters of operation (ToP's).
Original program is prepared to deal with 6 different theaters but can be easily expanded to more.
In my previous install of CFS2 I had 9 different ToP's. Basic 3 (ETO,MAW and PAC) and others for Spanish Civ.War, subETO East front, BOB and so on, mainly beacause of 100planes limit.

Example of bat file for Euro West Front TO. i use at the present follows:

"
echo off
if exist missions\@EurEF.txt ren missions MisEurEF
if exist missions\@EurWF.txt ren missions MisEurWF
if exist missions\@Afr.txt ren missions MisAfr
if exist missions\@Pac.txt ren missions MisPac
if exist missions\@SCW.txt ren missions MisSCW
if exist missions\@Kor.txt ren missions MisKor
ren MisEurWF missions
if exist campaigns\@EurEF.txt ren campaigns CamEurEF
if exist campaigns\@EurWF.txt ren campaigns CamEurWF
if exist campaigns\@Afr.txt ren campaigns CamAfr
if exist campaigns\@Pac.txt ren campaigns CamPac
if exist campaigns\@SCW.txt ren campaigns CamSCW
if exist campaigns\@Kor.txt ren campaigns CamKor
ren CamEurWF campaigns
if exist aircraft\@EurEF.txt ren aircraft AirEurEF
if exist aircraft\@EurWF.txt ren aircraft AirEurWF
if exist aircraft\@Afr.txt ren aircraft AirAfr
if exist aircraft\@Pac.txt ren aircraft AirPac
if exist aircraft\@SCW.txt ren aircraft AirSCW
if exist aircraft\@Kor.txt ren aircraft AirKor
ren AirEurWF aircraft
if exist scenedb\world\texture\@EurWF.txt ren scenedb\world\texture EurWFTex
if exist scenedb\world\texture\@Pac.txt ren scenedb\world\texture PacTex
if exist scenedb\world\texture\@Afr.txt ren scenedb\world\texture AfrTex
ren scenedb\world\EurWFTex texture
if exist scenedb\world\scenery\@EurWF.txt ren scenedb\world\scenery EurWFScen
if exist scenedb\world\scenery\@Pac.txt ren scenedb\world\scenery PacScen
if exist scenedb\world\scenery\@Afr.txt ren scenedb\world\scenery AfrScen
ren scenedb\world\EurWFScen scenery
if exist quickcom\@EurEF.txt ren quickcom QCEurEF
if exist quickcom\@EurWF.txt ren quickcom QCEurWF
if exist quickcom\@Afr.txt ren quickcom QCAfr
if exist quickcom\@Pac.txt ren quickcom QCPac
if exist quickcom\@SCW.txt ren quickcom QCSCW
if exist quickcom\@Kor.txt ren quickcom QCKor
ren QCEurWF quickcom
if exist pilotlog\@EurEF.txt ren pilotlog pilotEurEF
if exist pilotlog\@EurWF.txt ren pilotlog pilotEurWF
if exist pilotlog\@Afr.txt ren pilotlog pilotAfr
if exist pilotlog\@Pac.txt ren pilotlog pilotPac
if exist pilotlog\@SCW.txt ren pilotlog pilotSCW
if exist pilotlog\@Kor.txt ren pilotlog pilotKor
ren pilotEurWF pilotlog
if exist uires\@EurEF.txt ren uires uirEurEF
if exist uires\@EurWF.txt ren uires uirEurWF
if exist uires\@Afr.txt ren uires uirAfr
if exist uires\@Pac.txt ren uires uirPac
if exist uires\@SCW.txt ren uires uirSCW
if exist uires\@Kor.txt ren uires uirKor
ren uirEurWF uires
if exist @EurEF.txt ren scenery.cfg sceneryEurEF.cfg
if exist @EurWF.txt ren scenery.cfg sceneryEurWF.cfg
if exist @Afr.txt ren scenery.cfg sceneryAfr.cfg
if exist @Pac.txt ren scenery.cfg sceneryPac.cfg
if exist @SCW.txt ren scenery.cfg scenerySCW.cfg
if exist @Kor.txt ren scenery.cfg sceneryKor.cfg
ren sceneryEurWF.cfg scenery.cfg
if exist @EurEF.txt ren @EurEF.txt @EurWF.txt
if exist @EurWF.txt ren @EurWF.txt @EurWF.txt
if exist @Afr.txt ren @Afr.txt @EurWF.txt
if exist @Pac.txt ren @Pac.txt @EurWF.txt
if exist @SCW.txt ren @SCW.txt @EurWF.txt
if exist @Kor.txt ren @Kor.txt @EurWF.txt
copy Info\airbasesEurWF.dat Info\airbases.dat
cfs2
exit
"
I add "cfs2" at the end to automaticly start CFS2 when i click on shortcut. If you erase that you'll have to "click" on main CFS2 icon.
Each of configuration has one dedicated bat file, basicly the same as above except renaming commands (instead of "ren sceneryEurWF.cfg scenery.cfg." have "ren sceneryPac.cfg scenery.cfg" for PTO)

In main CFS2 folder I have 3 aircraft folders, 3 missions one's, 3 campaign's, 3 world\texture folders (3 texture but only 1 Scendb), 3 quickcom's ,3 pilotlog's and 3 uires's one's.
Also have 3 scenery.cfg files and 3 airbases.dat files. Each of folders and each of file dedicated to one of the ToP.

@Pac.txt or @EurWF.txt are present in every correspondent folders just for program (bat file) be able to manage them properly.
Thanks to them if i open f.ex. CFS2\aircraft folder and see there @Pac.txt file on the top of the list i know i'm currently in Pacific configuration.

Confusing isn't it?!:isadizzy: But works great and still with only 1 CFS2 install!

If you need any further info give a sign.
Cheers
pawport

redrooster
November 10th, 2008, 16:14
I think I'm only going to make a Korea install. Devildog mentioned the need to delete all references to the Japanese...Does anyone have a list of files that have to be edited so the japanese references don't cause any problems once all the the IJN ships, aircraft, etc... are removed from the Korea install?

Thanks again for your help,
redrooster

Collin
November 10th, 2008, 16:51
Redrooster,

Make your new cfs2 install and leave it alone, there's no need to delete anything.
Then provided you install the Fox4 campaigns in the correct order of zips you shouldn't have any problems.

We made the downloads to be self-extracting and they contain everything required for the campaigns to work.

Later, when you become more knowledgeable about the sim, you can alter it with more confidence.

regards Collin:ernae:

egypt23spitfire
November 10th, 2008, 20:39
..........PAWPORT the creator for the fine assemlage of EASY-MULTI-INSTAL is JEAN BOMBER ...a member here:ernae:

pawport
November 10th, 2008, 23:34
Thanks egypt!

I've updated my lib.

Hope he'll explain better if necessary.:d
cheers

redrooster
November 11th, 2008, 04:48
OK, thanks guys!:ernae:

redrooster

redrooster
November 11th, 2008, 08:49
OK, I have the CFS2 Korea install running now, just one more simple question...Where do I find the file(s) that have my keyboard and joystick commands? I want to simply copy them over from my original CFS2 to my new install.

EDIT:
Ok I found the right file, but that didn't do anything, so I just changed everthing manually.

Thanks again!

redrooster

Jean Bomber
November 12th, 2008, 09:19
..........PAWPORT the creator for the fine assemlage of EASY-MULTI-INSTAL is JEAN BOMBER ...a member here:ernae:
Thanks Egypt :ernae:
, but I'm not the "creator" of the Original Bat file ,I've just made the package for an easy install.
The idea was started from a thread in http://cfsfrance.altajeux.com/ forum ,Guy Boullanger and some others simmer used this tips to minimize space in their HD ,CFS2 EasyMultiinstall_1.1 (http://www.simviation.com/cgi-bin/syb2.cgi?section=cfs&file=EasyMultiinstall_101.zip).is the result of this thread .
this stuff need to be upgraded , and I see that Pawport has understood the philosophy of it :

if exist @EurEF.txt ren scenery.cfg sceneryEurEF.cfg
if exist @EurWF.txt ren scenery.cfg sceneryEurWF.cfg
if exist @Afr.txt ren scenery.cfg sceneryAfr.cfg
if exist @Pac.txt ren scenery.cfg sceneryPac.cfg
if exist @SCW.txt ren scenery.cfg scenerySCW.cfg
if exist @Kor.txt ren scenery.cfg sceneryKor.cfg
ren sceneryEurWF.cfg scenery.cfg

Good ! :applause:

thanks ,pawport
I've not this chapter in mine , good addition for a future version ,and another chapter for the gsl folder could be write too...and make it for twelve TO .
I could explain better in somebody can't decode the :censored: :banghead: read me I've made at this time ....

JP

pawport
November 12th, 2008, 10:45
... i never thought about gsl! Thanks :ernae:
It's really necessary as more and more third part sceneries are made in that way.

cheers
pawport