PDA

View Full Version : BMP to DDS converter

guzler
November 9th, 2008, 05:41
Hi guys,

I tried using the DDS converter 2 today on a port over (DM's VC10), but the textures were all mucked up - upside down, in wrong place etc.

What have I done wrong ?

I have separated the generic textures out and put them in a "texture" folder and linked with a cfg file in each unique texture folder

Any help appreciated,

Cheers

stiz
November 9th, 2008, 05:48
when converting bmps to dds you need to flip the texture verticly :wavey:

guzler
November 9th, 2008, 06:16
Hi Stiz,

How do you do that ?
Can't see an option to do that

IanP
November 9th, 2008, 06:18
...or, if you have the SDK, just open them, then save them as the correct type in Imagetool.exe and it flips them for you. Far easier!

Ian P.

guzler
November 9th, 2008, 06:26
I have the Delux version of FSX which I believe has the SDK on it ????

If so, where would I find that ?

Tako_Kichi
November 9th, 2008, 06:31
If you are using Photoshop there is a plug-in available from Nvidia that will allow you to save DDS files directly and you can even open them too.

As Stiz says you need to flatten the image and flip it vertically before saving the DDS file.

guzler
November 9th, 2008, 06:37
Guy's,

I'll leave this to the experts, this is over my head. Looks like my VC10 will stay in BMP form :banghead:

VCN-1
November 9th, 2008, 06:50
ImageTool is the way to go.

VCN-1

IanP
November 9th, 2008, 07:30
The SDK installer is on the disks, guzler - once installed, ImageTool.exe can be found under the Environment kit - no, I don't know why there, either, but that's where it is. I don't believe it is updated by any of the SDK updates for SP1, SP2 or Accel and the original application should still save images that can be used perfectly well in any version of FSX.

It's not an expert thing, just open your texture in it, select the format you want from a drop down menu (check an existing .dds file if you need to know which format to select) and save with a .dds extension.

Ian P.

Cazzie
November 9th, 2008, 07:40
Best thing to do is type ImageTool.exe in Search and it will find it. Then make a shortcut to your desktop and keep it with other graphic program icons.

Caz

yago9
November 9th, 2008, 07:53
If you are using Photoshop there is a plug-in available from Nvidia that will allow you to save DDS files directly and you can even open them too.

As Stiz says you need to flatten the image and flip it vertically before saving the DDS file.

Great,I tried but it shows a million versions to save the file as DDS..Maybe someone will post a screenshot with the correct DDS option we have to choose..Thx !

VCN-1
November 9th, 2008, 08:06
Great,I tried but it shows a million versions to save the file as DDS..Maybe someone will post a screenshot with the correct DDS option we have to choose..Thx !

I saw that also and didn't know which one to go for.

VCN-1

Lionheart
November 9th, 2008, 08:10
Easy peasy....! :d

In Adobe Photoshop, with freeware nVidia addon tools, set as follows (per screenshots).

ARGB DXT5 (no Mips)
ARGB 32bit 8.8.8-8

*Remember to 'Flip Vertical'. To not 'rotate 180 degree's. Flip Vertical.

:ernae:

Bill

guzler
November 9th, 2008, 09:33
I have found image tool. So I guess I shoud save as DDS5, but how do I flip it vertically ?

stiz
November 9th, 2008, 09:41
image tool does it automaticly when you save as a .dds texture :jump:

Tako_Kichi
November 9th, 2008, 09:47
I have found image tool. So I guess I shoud save as DDS5, but how do I flip it vertically ?
What painting software are you using Guzler? Photoshop, Paint Shop Pro, Corel Photo Paint, something else? If we knew what you were using it would make it easier for us to help you. :icon_lol:

However, as IanP says, the 'ImageTool' software apparently flips as it saves so simply opening a file and saving as a DDS should do the job.

I just did a quick test as I have never used 'ImageTool' before either and all you need to do is open a BMP file and save as a DDS file with the same name (but with the .DDS extension of course) and it does indeed flip the image as required.

guzler
November 9th, 2008, 09:54
Is there a way of converting them in batches to DDS, from what I can see, Image tool can only convert 1 at a time. I have converted one (yeeeeee haaaaaa :isadizzy:)

stiz
November 9th, 2008, 10:06
there is a way by useing a batch file, but i dont know how to do it :frown:

GypsyBaron
November 9th, 2008, 10:29
there is a way by useing a batch file, but i dont know how to do it :frown:

I have done a batch conversion by copying imagetool.exe
into the texture directory and then executing:

imagetool -nobeep -dxt5 -dds -nodither *.bmp

I have also done it recursively using a couple of batch files
to accomplish a conversion for all my AI aircraft textures.
Adding the -r option will cause imagetool to convert in the
current directory and all subdirectories. Here is the command line I used for DTX3 conversion:

imagetool -e dds -DXT3 -dds -mip -nogui -r *.bmp

Paul

VCN-1
November 9th, 2008, 10:45
You don't need to save it to bmp to convert it dds.

Imagetool will read the psd files and and make the necessary dds files using the bat file. Just substitute *.bmp to *.psd.

As always backups until you are sure to your satisfaction it is working.

VCN-1

guzler
November 9th, 2008, 10:57
I have done a batch conversion by copying imagetool.exe
into the texture directory and then executing:

imagetool -nobeep -dxt5 -dds -nodither *.bmp

I have also done it recursively using a couple of batch files
to accomplish a conversion for all my AI aircraft textures.
Adding the -r option will cause imagetool to convert in the
current directory and all subdirectories. Here is the command line I used for DTX3 conversion:

imagetool -e dds -DXT3 -dds -mip -nogui -r *.bmp

Paul

Ok, I have copied image tool into the texture folder. How did you execute all the other stuff after it ? I can't see any of these options in the menus ?

Lionheart
November 9th, 2008, 12:03
If you are making BAT files, simply double click the BAT with left mouse button. Its the same as an EXE file, it 'starts' the ImageTool EXE and tells it what to do. (Wake up, do this to these, and this too, and then go back to sleep).

Bill

GypsyBaron
November 9th, 2008, 15:27
Ok, I have copied image tool into the texture folder. How did you execute all the other stuff after it ? I can't see any of these options in the menus ?

Put that text into a file using any text editor and name it
DDS_convert.bat

Place that in the folder and double-click on it.

Paul