PDA

View Full Version : Freeware Huey?

falcon409
April 1st, 2010, 04:16
Are there any well done freeware Hueys available? I don't have the finances any more to put towards the high dollar payware stuff that's coming and I'd like to add a good Huey to fly around the Vietnam Project Scenery that's been released. I looked at HoverControl and amazingly, I didn't see anything newer than an old 2004/2002 model tucked away in the FS9 downloads area. Surprising to me considering the popularity of that Heli. Anyway, any suggestions will be appreciated.:salute:

Daube
April 1st, 2010, 04:53
The popularity of a given aircraft never really had an influence on its availability in FS.
Look at the Phantom, there has never been any freeware one with a (decent) virtual cockpit. Same for the F-104, or the Flanker, etc...
Anyway, I'm pretty sure there isn't any freeware Huey in native FSX format.
You might want to give a try to the FS2002/FS2004 one that is available at hovercontrol. I used to fly that one quite often back in the FS9 days, but I assume it will have display issues in FSX SP2...

Shylock
April 1st, 2010, 06:53
Try this one http://flyawaysimulation.com/downloads-file-2329-details.html I think I had downloaded this one last year and it was fun to fly and looks sexy flying low level. Let me know if it works I haven't been on that site in awhile.

falcon409
April 1st, 2010, 08:05
Well, I've tried all the decent Hueys (there aren't many) and I think I'm going to stay with Tim's OH-6. The fps on the Huey is pretty bad, as much as a 10fps drop from Tim's Lil' Bird which gives me 25 to 30 depending on the surrounding scenery. I have the AlphaSim Apache, so between that and the OH-6, I can suffer through not having a Huey, lol.

Thanks for the replies.:salute:

Pips
April 1st, 2010, 16:31
I have the Nor-Cal Bell Uh-1 Huey and I luv it. VC is not the clearest (although still readable), but other than that it's excellent. The sound is perfect! As are the frame rates. I have a great time flying it. :)

Available here: http://www.simviation.com/fsxhelicopters4.htm

I also have Tim's OH-6, which is fun to fly.

falcon409
April 1st, 2010, 16:42
Yep, that's one of the many I tried, all with the same hard hit on fps. I'm going to stay with the OH-6 and the Apache.

AussieMan
April 1st, 2010, 17:46
Try this one http://flyawaysimulation.com/downloads-file-2329-details.html I think I had downloaded this one last year and it was fun to fly and looks sexy flying low level. Let me know if it works I haven't been on that site in awhile.

You forgot to tell us that you have to pay to download. Not prepared to pay $5 a month just for the privilige of downloading.

Cheers
Pat

falcon409
April 1st, 2010, 17:56
You forgot to tell us that you have to pay to download. Not prepared to pay $5 a month just for the privilege of downloading. Cheers
Pat
Hmm, not here. That's where I downloaded that one and I just used the link, clicked on "download" and it started immediately and I don't use that site at all for downloads.

Oh man. . . .I'm almost at 3000 posts. . .oh baby. . .what next? lol

XLR8
April 1st, 2010, 17:58
You might try hover control they have a few .

gigabyte
April 1st, 2010, 18:04
Falcon, have you tried Hovercontrol, I seem to recall they had a nice Huey. I had it on a previous install and I found it fairly nice, although I was never able do do much more than Panther the fool thing, I have never been able to get the hang of choppers so it's no fault of the model, more of a PBKAC issue...

I don't recall any particular hit on the FPS, because I would have dumped it right away, the system I was using was just barely above min spec so I couldn't run anything that was hard on frame rates.