PDA

View Full Version : NEW WARBIRDSIM MUSTANGS FOR FS2004

WarBert
March 30th, 2010, 11:57
Warbirdsim Fighter Leader II

Is a Special Edition Collectors Set featuring the Dorsal Fillet and Direction Finding Loop versions of the high backed Mustangs and brings together a very comprehensive range of North American P-51s in various schemes, colors and configurations the like of which has never before been seen for Flight Simulator FS9.
Included are a beautiful selection of ten aircraft for you to take to the skies and tame. There have been cockpit updates and sound updates from the original Fs2004 release of Fighter Leader to give an even closer overall feel of what the real aircraft are like to fly.
This makes an excellent companion to the original Fighter Leader and the aeroplanes themselves now feature 500lb bombs in place of the drop tanks.

The highly detailed examples fresh from the virtual Inglewood and Dallas factories of Warbirdsim are a BRAND NEW collection of Mustangs for FS2004 users! The P-51B/C & Mustang III have also been extremely faithfully reproduced right down to the last rivet, panel line and individual markings.

www.warbirdsim.com

Bomber_12th
March 30th, 2010, 17:59
For curious minds, here are some screenshots showing various versions included in this new product release. Paint schemes include a vast array of USAAF shemes, as well as RAAF and RCAF schemes.

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y282/Bomber_12th/Image34-2.jpg

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y282/Bomber_12th/Image32-2.jpg

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y282/Bomber_12th/Image16-3.jpg

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y282/Bomber_12th/Image15-1.jpg

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y282/Bomber_12th/Image11-1.jpg

Bomber_12th
March 30th, 2010, 18:03
And a few more:

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y282/Bomber_12th/Image3-4.jpg

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y282/Bomber_12th/Image22-1.jpg

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y282/Bomber_12th/Image10-1.jpg

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y282/Bomber_12th/Image28-3.jpg

WarHorse47
March 30th, 2010, 18:45
Got mine. Beautifully done.

Thanks WarBert and Bomber_12th. :ernae:

--WH

fleurdelys
March 30th, 2010, 19:05
Downloading it presently... :kilroy:

I sincerely hope that this version II will spark interest anew and keep our talented artist-skinners busy... :applause:

Cheers,

Fleurdelys

DX-FMJ
March 30th, 2010, 19:39
What about people that bought the original version one fighter leader pack? Is this a free update? do we get a discount?

mrogers
March 30th, 2010, 20:35
Downloading now as I write this. Can't wait to fly them! Thanks Albert and John (Bomber_12th)!

DX-FMJ;
Its a seperate product with new Mustang versions, not a free update or discount.

Duckie
March 31st, 2010, 06:37
They look awesome, as I expected they would. I am very eager to purchase the v.2 pack, but I have a couple of questions that I haven't been able to answer for myself on the WBS site.

However, before I ask I want to make it clear that I have been very pleased with my Flight Leader v.1 pack from the beginning. I bought the hard copy version adn have enjoyed flying and painting this model. No regrets.

Now my questions.

1. Is there or will there be an updated paintkit available for this new version?
2. Is there or will there be a CD/DVD version available.
3. What is the process one should expect if a reload is necessary due to a HDD crash or an upgrade to a new PC.

Looking forward to purchasing and enjoying this version,

Duckie

Bomber_12th
March 31st, 2010, 06:48
Duckie, I can't answer number 2, but as for the paint kit for the Dorsal Fin variants, I can get that packaged up for anyone who may want it, just send me your e-mail address in a PM. It shouldn't take too long to do. I believe that with this new release, there are many more opportunities out there for repaint possibilities, and I'll be sure to help provide that to any repainter that is interested.

As for 3, I think all customers are sent a download link, correct? There you download the installer, and away you go. As long as you keep a backup of the installer file, there will be no problem reinstalling the product - of course keeping all e-mails is a good thing too, just in case you lose the file. There is no need to request activations.

WH, Fleurdelys, and MrRogers, thank you all very much for your support!

Duckie
March 31st, 2010, 07:02
Thanks very much for the quick response, John. I'll PM you with my e-mail after I post this!

I'll be getting my copy tonight and pulling out my references of the "fin strake" version and shaking up the paint jars!

Wishing you & WBS continued success,
Steve

modelr
March 31st, 2010, 13:28
Is this a totally different package fro the first release, or just an upgrade? Does it replace V1, or does it go along with V1??

By the way, John, it looks fantastic.

I haven't been able to get V1, yet, so would like to know if I need to get them both, or just this one.

Bomber_12th
March 31st, 2010, 13:56
Hi Don, this is a completely independent release from the first, with different model variations and textures than the first release. One will notice some updating from the original release, visually within the VC, and fine tuning in how it handles and what you hear. You don't need to have any other product in order to get this and run it just as it should.

Duckie, I have been working on getting the dorsal fin fillet paintkit put together, and you will likely get an e-mail from me tonight - thanks for the PM!

Bomber_12th
March 31st, 2010, 14:00
Here is a synopsis that I put together, which explains the dorsal fin fillet addition to the P-51B/C airframe, and as copied in this product-

One of the most long-lived myths regarding the dorsal fin fillet on the Mustang, is that it was strictly added as a result of loss of side area when the P-51D bubble canopy configuration replaced the high-back profile of the P-51B/C's. In actuality, the same tech order which required the addition of the dorsal fin fillet to the early P-51D-5-NA, also states that the fillet is required to be added to the P-51B/C's. The reasons governing this decision were exactly the same - to prevent yawing conditions, at high speed, which were known to cause catastrophic failure of the horizontal stabilizer on all Merlin-powered Mustangs then in service.

As far as research can tell, all P-51B's (from Inglewood) were delivered without dorsal fin fillets, and thus according to the technical order, were required to receive a field retrofit. Some P-51C's on the other hand, likely did receive the retrofit while in production (in Dallas), but the vast majority, like the B models, only received the dorsal fin fillet, while in their respective fields of operation.

Also, contrary to popular belief, the dorsal fin fillet design, used on the P-51B/C's, was not the same design as incorporated into production P-51D/K's. The fillet used on the B/C airframes, is noticeably curved along the top edge (the D/K’s being straight), and terminates several inches farther forward along the aircraft's spine, than the D/K model's.

Through the details of the tech order, not only was the addition of the dorsal fin fillet required, but in the same process, so was the modification of turning the rudder trim tab into a de-boost tab, minimizing the possibility for the pilot to push the rudder too far, too quickly, at a great amount of speed. The de-boost tab worked by counteracting the movement of the rudder, requiring much more foot pressure, at speed, to yaw the aircraft in either direction. (This de-boost tab has been modeled for those variants with the dorsal fin fillet modification)

More information pertaining to the reasoning behind the dorsal fin fillet retrofit, can be found in the following quote, from “Flight Measurements of the Directional Stability and Trim on the Mustang III with Various Modifications to improve the Directional stability”...

"The introduction of a more powerful engine and a four-bladed propeller to the Mustang aircraft (the resulting type being known as the Mustang III or P51-B) gave rise to serious changes in directional trim and stability as compared with the original Mk. I or P51-A; in particular the forces to produce sideslip were reduced to very small values especially at high speed, where dangerously large angles of sideslip could be induced for small pedal forces. Several accidents involving structural failure of Mk.III tailplanes were attributed to the asymmetric tailplane loading when the aircraft had been inadvertently yawed due to these small pedal forces. Consequently N.A.A. introduced a retrospective modification consisting of a small dorsal fin and geared antibalance tab on the rudder. Flight tests of this installation were undertaken both in America, by N.A.A., and in this country, by R.A.E."

WarHorse47
March 31st, 2010, 15:53
I remember reading about the dorsal fin retrofit somewhere...

"A small dorsal fillet was added, staring in June 1944, to the P-51D-10NA and later models, and was retrofitted to earlier aircraft." Page 127, MUSTANG DESINGER, Edgar Schmued and the P-51 by Ray Wagner, 1990.

--WH

modelr
March 31st, 2010, 16:06
Thanks, John. I'll be looking forward to getting these packages, soon.

I also plan on getting the FSX version, eventually, now that I can run it well.

mrogers
March 31st, 2010, 16:42
Last night I went out to check out my new dorsal fillet mustang....it looks brilliant.

A closer look..beautiful shiny aluminum on the fuselage...

Up on the wing looking into the cockpit...looks awesome! Look at all that detail..

And an air to air of me flying the new Mustang!

It is a brilliant rendition of the dorsal fillet Mustang, For some people, the ground handling will take some practice, but it does help that I have accumulated simflight hours with pedals taxying tailwheel a/c that are fully castoring 180 degrees. My many sim flight hours in the A2A Mustang helps too, as I already knew all the checks, MPs, RPMs, airspeeds trim, etc and was able to jump straight into it right away.
i have a question for John, does the control stick have to be pushed foward to unlock the tailwheel for steering and pulled back for locking the tailwheel? That seems to be what I have to do for control and and also I use the toe brakes as well.
The Mustang is sensitive on the controls, almost holds completely stable in level cruise flight with no pitching , I was able to take my hand off the control stick for a while and watch it stay stable by itself, but not for long....it tended to do a creeping roll to the right requiring me to level it again...hands off again, again it started a creeping roll to the right. It must be the torque? It's apparent to me that the Mustang is a full hands-on aircraft right from the startup to shut down.
Landed it beautifully, flew it by the book of cousre.I 'm going to be flying in this Mustang for many more hours to come.

Thank you John, awesome work.
Download was easy - no complicated hoops to go through at all, installed straight away. However while starting the install my antivirus suddenly thought it was a virus and tried to erase it! Fortunately I still had the zip file and had to take steps to have it excluded from the antivirus scanner itself. After that it was a piece of cake.

Bomber_12th
March 31st, 2010, 17:04
Thank you Don, and Mark, I am very glad to hear it! Of course it wouldn't be what it is without the efforts of the whole trio that make up Warbirdsim, I am just one fraction of the equation.

Mark, the control stick does need to be pushed forward to unlock the tail wheel - once the stick is neutral or aft, the tail wheel is locked. In flight, there are a couple of things that may cause the aircraft to want to roll right. One of those is if you have a good amount of right rudder trim, the other is if the wing tanks aren't balanced. Torque may be an instigator, but not too much, especially at cruise speed or higher. The aircraft is meant to be a stable flying platform, unlike other designs such as the Spitfire, but it still isn't the greatest as far as hands-off flying is concerned, at least not for prolonged periods.

The nice thing about the P-51B/C design, is that you can fly the same manifold pressure/rpm settings as the D model, yet maintain a speed of which is about 15-18 mph faster at times. For instance, climb is supposed to be done at 46/2700, in both airplanes, but you can bring this back to 44/2700, to match the D model's climb.

Bomber_12th
March 31st, 2010, 17:12
Just as a little trivial factoid, two of the currently flying P-51B's in the world, are fitted with dorsal fin fillets. One of them, featured in this product, is "Impatient Virgin?", which utilized an original N.A.A. produced fillet, specifically for the P-51B/C design, in its restoration. The other is Jack Roush's P-51B "Old Crow", which had one created and added onto it, about a year after restoration - as Roush claimed that it was too unstable for his own taste without it.

mrogers
March 31st, 2010, 17:27
John, I have just remembered that the starboard wing tank was a bit fuller than the port wing tank, that may be the reason for its creeping roll to the right. The more I think about it the more it seems likely to be why it rolled. Certainly was not torque as I thought!
Interesting to note that Jack Roush has added a dorsal fillet to his P-51B Old Crow for more directional stability - exactly what they were for.

Bomber_12th
March 31st, 2010, 18:02
Here is a screenshot that I liked from the end of a recent flight:

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y282/Bomber_12th/bonnieb.jpg

(I was really glad to finally have a reason to recreate this paint scheme - a favorite of mine since a child, when I first saw it on a Mustang documentary. As far as I know, it is the most accurate depiction of the real example - was helped out by several, great, historical photo close-ups of the real thing. Note that the black/white invasion stripes have individual spaces between them. I recreated the nose art lettering using a digital airbrush, over the top of an accurately placed original B&W photo of the nose artwork.)

WarHorse47
March 31st, 2010, 18:10
Gotta do something about all the electricity this is creating...

--WH

Duckie
March 31st, 2010, 18:41
Got it! Just got back from a 20 min flight around KPDX. Logged 3 T/O - Landings. Have notice some suttle flight handling differences - I don't know, maybe it's just me. It doesn't seem to want to wander to port as much on take off and the roll left upon attaining flying speed doesn't seem as severe. Climb out seems to take a tad less power.

Outside sound seems to have a more refined "grumble".

She is gorgeous!

Thanks WBS for keeping us FS9ers on your list! :applause::applause::applause::applause:

Duckie

OleBoy
March 31st, 2010, 21:07
That's a mighty fine looking model for sure. Beautiful craftsmanship. Beautiful period. I just like the way she stands so proud and ready to take on anything in it's path.

Although I won't be purchasing the FS2004 version, the FSX version is hopefully soon to come.

Fantastic job on both of them!!!

msfossey
April 1st, 2010, 11:05
I fly both FS2004 and CFS2. Does anyone know if this model will convert to CFS2? I would be interested in buying the package if it does.

msfossey

Bomber_12th
April 1st, 2010, 12:10
Very cool screenshot, WH! The 118 TRS markings were definitely some of the most striking of squadron markings during the war, and really compliment the Mustang's lines quite well.

Duckie, thank you very much, and I am glad to hear that you received the paintkit just fine!

Oleboy, I am not sure at what point these variants will make there way to FSX, but thank you very much for your post! Of course there is the 'big update' still underway for the original FSX release, and with that in place, then it would be the proper time to get these variants done for FSX.

MSFossey, I really wouldn't have a clue if these would port to CFS2, and Warbirdsim really isn't capable of testing/supporting that. I wouldn't want you buying the product just for that reason, if you didn't know that it worked ahead of time, too.

SlamBam
April 2nd, 2010, 04:37
Piucked mine up the day it was announced and also finally got my paint kit! This plane is awesome.

Are there any plans to add any details such as chocks and maybe seatbelts to the shut down aircraft? Also, what about a modernized pilot and possibly cockpits?

great plane!

WarHorse47
April 2nd, 2010, 04:46
I'm finding the new Mustangs to handle a lot better than the originals. More control on takeoffs, landings and during taxiing.

Bomber, are their any plans to patch the original Mustangs with the same flight dynamics and handling of the new ones?? :jump:

--WH

Bomber_12th
April 2nd, 2010, 05:13
"SlamBam", thank you very much, and I am glad to hear that you got the paint kit just fine. Right now the day-to-day focus is on Warbirdsim's P-51D for FSX, so any possible additions as you mention, if they are to be done, would have to be put off until the current commitments have been dealt with. I can tell you, that the work going into Warbirdsim's FSX P-51D, will make it very easy to add some of those items into the FS9 B/C's, as you mention.

WH, that I am not aware of. I'll make sure to ask Albert and see what his plans are - he being the one responsible for the flight dynamics and sound work, amongst many other duties.

ZsoltB
November 14th, 2011, 09:11
And a few more:

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y282/Bomber_12th/Image3-4.jpg

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y282/Bomber_12th/Image22-1.jpg

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y282/Bomber_12th/Image10-1.jpg

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y282/Bomber_12th/Image28-3.jpg

Where can I download the paints?

pfflyers
November 14th, 2011, 09:42
Those textures were all included in the 'new' dorsal fin/df loop/bomb version pack this thread is about.

If you purchased this pack you have these, if not, you don't.