PDA

View Full Version : Prayers requested...

Rami
March 30th, 2010, 08:59
Hey guys,

In case you are not aware, the Northeastern United States has been inundated with two massive rainstorms in the last two weeks, which have collectively dumped nearly twenty inches of rain. In the first storm the rivers, ponds, and streams were brought up to and just over their banks, only abating slightly in the past ten days with one or two minor days of rain. However, we are once again involved in a major rainstorm, and this time the water simply has no place to go, especially with the water table already so high. With a persistent northeast wind, there is also substantial beach erosion and coastal flooding as well.

http://www.thebostonchannel.com/index.html

Right now, I have almost three feet of water in my basement and before the water began rising I brought everything upstairs so that I wouldn't lose anything. I have my sump pumps going full blast as well, and have not slept too well since Sunday night, as you can probably imagine. (I do have homeowner's and flood insurance, not to worry)

I have also been told by the local police that there is a strong possibility that the power to our neighborhood will be cut, and consequently, we may have to evacuate. Erica and I have already packed essential supplies, clothes, toys, and other items in case we do in fact have to evacuate. Roads are almost impassible in many places, and getting anywhere, even to work, means that you're taking much more time and driving slowly, looking for any places were the roads are under water.

Please hold our family in your thoughts and prayers while we literally ride out the storm.

JP127
March 30th, 2010, 09:25
Hi Rami,

You and your family are in my thoughts and prayers. Take care.

Jeff

sc7500
Rami - you guys will be fine so long as you stick together and ride the storm out as a family.

I'm speaking for everyone who's on here when I say we're all pulling for you, too.

Hang in there, kid - Keep the children safe !

SC
:kilroy:

Discus
Iīll keep you and your family in mind in my prayers.

If the situation keeps deteriorating donīt wait till last moment to evacuate. Nobody wants to leave his home but itīs worst to leave too late and donīt be able to leave at all (roads under water). 10 inches of water are enough to make a car "sail". Then you would depend on exterior help that every one needs at the same time.

Cheers. Discus:salute:

mariereid
March 30th, 2010, 09:36
Jeez man, I cannot beieve the weather you got down there this winter and spring. I just sent a prayer up for you guys. Hang on tight bud! Any wind?

Rami
March 30th, 2010, 09:41
Mariereid,

Yeup...wind gusts up to about 35-40 MPH.

Talon
March 30th, 2010, 11:21
Rami

We are having rain here also with winds 35 - 50 mph.I know what you're going thru.A few of years ago we had 92 inches of rain in March.

Best you evacuate before you loose power I'd say.Our Prayers are with you.

Talon

CrisGer
March 30th, 2010, 11:35
Take care and be careful..wow, what a trial.

God and the weather.

Prayers being said here.

I agree with Talon, (great to see you back Talon)
..go now

Rami
March 30th, 2010, 12:02
To all,

It looks like the worst of the storm is passing...finally. When Erica gets home I'm going to send her and the kids to higher ground for the night, she's cool with this, we just finished discussing in on the phone. That way she can get a good night's sleep at my mom and dad's house.

http://www1.whdh.com/weather/

I'm staying behind to guard the fort. The sump pump is keeping just above pace with the water in the basement, (and I have two backups, just in case) in fact it's gone down about two or three inches. There's no carpeting, it's a cement floor and stone walls. Other than that, there's no water where it shouldn't be. If the power goes out, I have a generator that's fully battle tested, protected, and ready to go with two containers of fresh gas. I already called the Police to let them know, they've been calling every two hours, and they said that it's my decision, but if I stay under an evacuation order, I'm on my own. With the rain letting up, things have stabilized a little, so I'm staying behind.

Jean Bomber
March 30th, 2010, 13:02
Rami ,

my thoughts will be with you to guard the fort ,stay dry and Good luck :salute:

JP

Desert Rat
March 30th, 2010, 13:37
Hey Rami,

look after yourself, if you need a room for the night, just holler, we got one. Glad the loved ones are safe, give them my best. Hope the weather turn good for you, been very extreme this year.

We have had snow today, IN SPRING!! First time that I remember since a young boy. Trucks are crashing off the road, elderly relatives are getting stranded, etc. Just like winter though, so we're used to it!One thing I noticed this time against when I was a child, folks seem to have forgotten they have legs!! If they can't drive, they cry they're stranded. Last month I walked to work, 4 miles in the snow and rain, guess I'm old school.

keep safe,
Jamie

Rami
March 30th, 2010, 14:38
Hey all,

Just checked with a meter stick...about 34 inches of water in the basement, so at least it's stable.

Dirtman
March 30th, 2010, 15:04
....Keep yer head up Bro!!

......... 3465
... - LIVE from Rami's basement -

OBIO
March 30th, 2010, 15:29
Rami

Prayers are yours and the fam's. Good luck keeping your house from washing away...oh, if you have a shootin' iron, be a good idea to keep it handy and dandy....times like what you are in right now, people who aren't so honest tend to find time to go shopping in other people's homes..especially if they feel everybody has evacuated. Shoot first, forget the questions.,,oops, now I went and did it...I am now on the anti-militant radar LOL!

OBIO

PJMack
March 30th, 2010, 20:20
You are in my thoughts...Please tell me that your computer has an emergency floatation device!:wiggle:

CrisGer
March 31st, 2010, 08:39
Hi Rami, you still there? just checking :)

hope the water is going down.

Rami
March 31st, 2010, 08:49
CrisGer,

Yes, I'm still here. The rain stopped around midnight, and the water in my basement is now about 16 inches, so we're moving in the right direction. All of my neighbors are okay, and I can get down the street in thigh-high water boots rather than having to use a canoe.

mariereid
March 31st, 2010, 09:34
I often wished the water was closer to our back door, so I could open the door and hop in my kayak. I hope the worst is over for ya down there, for this year and many more. Is Al Gore behind this?:ernae:

yeppers
March 31st, 2010, 10:00
Best wishes, it was pretty awful down here in the NYC area after the last storm, looks like this one took a more northerly aim. Hope the sumps hold out, dry weather is coming:salute:

hewman100
March 31st, 2010, 13:52
Thinking of you Rami. Hope that things start to return to normal soon!

Little Chacha
March 31st, 2010, 14:10
My Mom and I will pray for you and your kids and your entire family including your Daddy Mr. Gary. From Hannah. Bye. :wavey:

egypt23spitfire
March 31st, 2010, 16:19
................hi RAMI hope all works out well with no overly nasty dramas:salute:

HouseHobbit
March 31st, 2010, 18:16
I shall keep you and Your family in My Prayers..
:engel016:

Chacha
March 31st, 2010, 18:22
You are in our prayers.

Be safe, my friend..... :engel016:

(Hannah beat me to it)

miamieagle
March 31st, 2010, 18:23
I will pray for you and your family Rami.

I wish you well!

Rami
April 1st, 2010, 05:59
Hey guys,

I'm almost down to dry ground in my basement, so it looks like I'm in the clear. Thanks for the warm wishes! :jump:

OBIO
April 1st, 2010, 07:09
Dang it Rami....you went and messed up my Julia Roberts/Pretty Woman fantasy by mentioning wearing your thigh boots. Now when I think of thigh boots, instead of Julia in those sexy red numbers, it will be you...well, no need for that bottle of little blue pills now, my interest in such activities is now fully dead.

OBIO

tonybones2112
April 1st, 2010, 10:01
Rami, I had little medical emrgency here of my own that's going to be okaay, I only became aware of what was going on in your neck of the woods. I'm very pleased things worked on your favor and all the people up there. We need to pray for and remember those who suffered grievous loss.

We'll be looking to hear from you soon.

Bones

Rami
April 2nd, 2010, 04:24
Hey guys,

Thank you for the thoughts and prayers. The basement is dry, and I'm moving things back down to the basement this weekend. Erica and my kids, along with both cars, came back this morning. I've been quiet the last twelve hours or so because I'm currently offline at home; Dirtman taught me how to do what amounts to a "Complete XP tuneup."

When I ran Eraser 6.0 to wash the free space right down to the cluster tips before I started installing my games again, it erased nearly 90 GB (yes, gigabytes) of fragmented file junk while protecting my files. It was literally like night and day. Now that my PC is back to normal, I decided to run it one more time following a dictated sequence including turning off system restore temporarily, running defraggler twice, and once again washing the free space right down to the cluster tips. AVG and Spybot came back 100% clean, and I also have a baseline for the amount of files in my system, an essential bit of knowledge to alert you of any viruses. I also expanded the MFT to give my PC more room to breathe.

Once Eraser finishes its job, (I started at about 4am, then went back to bed) I will turn system restore back on and run Defraggler one more time. Then I should be all set, with a PC that should run as fast (or faster) than it did when I first turned her on. :wiggle:

mariereid
April 2nd, 2010, 08:51
Dang, that Dirty is not just another pretty face! Where would we be without the Dirtman? :salute::salute:

How much beer is it gonna cost ya?

p14u2nv
April 2nd, 2010, 18:08
Rami

...oh, if you have a shootin' iron, be a good idea to keep it handy and dandy....times like what you are in right now, people who aren't so honest tend to find time to go shopping in other people's homes..especially if they feel everybody has evacuated. Shoot first, forget the questions.,,oops, now I went and did it...I am now on the anti-militant radar LOL!

OBIO

OBIO that is sure the truth. About 20 years ago a buddy of mine and I took off a week and went fishing on the Outer Banks, NC, Cape Hatteras to be exact. A few days into this trip a severe thunder storm with tornadoes approached and we were evacuated from the campground and sent to a nearby school. Went inside and it was mostly older people so we went back out to the van to ride it out. Well the storm came and it was so loud in that van from the rain thought we'd go deaf and rocking from the wind too. But anyway I sat in utter amazement as lightening flashed and we watched 3 punk kids carrying what looked like microwaves, tv's etc from some of the high dollar motor homes parked in the lot as they left the doors open and just walked off. Winds gusting probably up to 50 or so, rain so hard you couldn't see more than a few feet and here were thieves in action. We were still active law enforcement back then and I simply ran into the school and got the deputy inside. I laughed at him as he thought he was going to stay dry hiding inside. Anyway those punk kids were busted, he got 2 and I got one as when they saw a uniform coming at them they dropped their new loot and ran. That was back when I was young and dumb and in much better shape. So Obio you are right on about what some lowlifes will indeed do during emergencies and evacs. As far as that anti-militant radar you spoke of it sure looks like we'll all be in good company!

Fibber
April 2nd, 2010, 19:01
The old standby of a shotgun is great. Just remember the first up the spout is the last out. Had EXTREME gusts here (believe it was a wind shear as all trees fell in the same direction!) that took out everything! Luckily, we went to a party and I turned off every electronic device in the hose before we left. Don't know why but I had also told the wife to make sure all the laptops and cellphones were fully charged. Talk about premonition!!!!!

demorier
April 5th, 2010, 00:34
You don't need prayers mate...you DO need a boat.