PDA

View Full Version : XP Repair Question

Devildog73
March 30th, 2010, 05:23
Somehow, my XP install on my laptop went south. It says it cannot load due to C:\windows\system32\config\system being corrupt or unreadable. I can boot in Windows7 and look back into the my computer to see it, but it won't allow access to the folder to look into it. Says I can repair with original install disk.

I have never been able to use the repair function, because I don't have an administrator password.

bearcat241
March 30th, 2010, 09:45
DD, it means that the system configurations of your registry is corrupt somehow. Could have been caused by faulty hardware. Anyhoo, given the extenuating circumstances you've described, the only option is to pop in the install disk and do a repair. After loading the drivers, as you elect to proceed, the disk will search for any valid installs on your drive and should find the current XP install on whatever partition you have it. You should then find a repair option in the menu. If not, no worries, do a new install on the same partition and let the process overwrite the old (don't worry about your documents and favorites, they'll be automatically preserved in the Documents and Settings folder under your current user name. A new user name will be created in the process and you can move the docs and favs to it later. You can also restore programs and settings later.

Devildog73
March 30th, 2010, 13:14
Thanks Bearcat.

When I get home. I am currently in Florida until the 6th. AND, of course, all my system disks are at home.

At least I have my Windows 7 HD that is functioning just fine.

DD

p14u2nv
April 1st, 2010, 00:23
I do not know which company your laptop is from, but I would start at the company web site to make sure there are no warranty issues etc. Look for any special procedures for resetting the administrator password. Google it.

Now if my memory serves me to clear the XP admin password there are a few programs around that can assist, some costs $$ however there are some freebies too. I will not recommend any.

Alternately you can remove battery pack AND 110 power from the laptop and then disassemble the laptop enclosure. Once disassembeled turn it over gently. Then pop out the CMOS battery (looks like a big round watch battery) and leave it out for anywhere from 5 -30 mins then place it back in. You can clean the keyboard too while it's open.

I personally have heard all different times so which one is right? Who knows. Google it, look around and pick one I guess. I have in the past just removed it for 30 seconds or so myself then put it back in place. Reassemble laptop and that should clear the administrator password glitch and you can then assign a new password if you want.

...and as the saying goes "I am not responsible if you mess up" blah, blah, blah...hope it helps as it might save you a fresh XPinstall...

:unitedstates:

bearcat241
April 1st, 2010, 05:16
He's dual-booting WinXP (1st partition) and Win7 (2nd partition), so the warranty is out the window at this point. Based on the manner in which Win7 installs, he's already voided any OEM software warranties because Win7 puts its critical boot files and some original installation files on the 1st partition, so it "shares" its dominion with the XP system on the C drive. This alone would essentially alter the original state of the factory XP install and its warranty in the event that he recovers or finds the admin password.

Devildog73
April 2nd, 2010, 12:27
Actually, I have two separate and distinct HDs, NO partitions. Dell Inspiron 1721 comes with two HD ports. That said, I went ahead and deleted the extra little drive that held the Dell original recovery install that came with the OEM VISTA install when I bought XP to "down/UP-grade" to XP over Vista.

Then, I purchased from Dell an extra HD and installed it and purchased Windows 7 and installed on the new, 7200RPM HD.

This is the first hycup I have ever had with XP. I booted into XP to work on Bong/McGuire missions while on leave in Florida. It hung up on my log in and I had to reboot. When I did so, it corrupted my system32\config\system folder.

Windows7 still works like a charm and I can still get to all of my files on the XP drive, except the corrupted folder.

I will move everything of importance to the Win7 or Seagate backup drive and then try to repair the XP install. If that doesn't work, I will reinstall XP from original DVD when I get home next week.

Oh, and this laptop has not been under warranty for a couple of years now.

Hopefully the repair will work. I will have to call M$ to request another code for my Office 2007 suite to reinstall it.

p14u2nv
April 2nd, 2010, 17:29
Well the reason I mentioned the warranty in the first place DD is I recently learned that there is a custom builder here where I live who sells dual boot machines with special additional warranties along with the usual equipment of whatever that is. I think for XP 32 + Vista 64 is 30 days, XP Pro + Vista 64 or Win7 is 60 days and Vista 64 and Win 7 is 90 days. I think that's right as I didn't really pay close enough attention as I was just looking around/wasting time. I never heard of warranties like that but I guess this guy is hurting since things are tough all over and is doing what he can to make a buck or two. Then again what's the chances of that stuff going bad in 90 days anyway so it is a selling point of sorts I guess.

Anyway I hope you get things straightened out quickly and easily...