PDA

View Full Version : C-124

Hurricane91
March 30th, 2010, 02:40
Jen's C-124 at Simviation, Downloads, FS2004,Military.

Brian_Gladden
March 30th, 2010, 03:00
Downloading.....

Maarten -
March 30th, 2010, 03:17
Hi there,

Just downloaded 'Old Shakey' from Avsim.com. :jump:

Thank you so much Jens! Once again you fulfilled a great wish of mine. Fabulous!:applause::applause::applause::applause:: applause:

Cheers,
Maarten

Sid2008
March 30th, 2010, 04:55
download from here: http://www.simviation.com/simviation/download.php?ID=8713

Thank you JBK, I will be flying this monster on Cargo flights.

Gentlemen, does anybody have historical flight routes for the C-124 within the USA?

Thanks Jens.
Sid

Sid2008
March 30th, 2010, 05:19
Enjoy. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PnL7tcvSxlg&NR=1

OBIO
March 30th, 2010, 06:30
Downloading now. Such a big "beautiful" plane....beautiful in the way a flop eared Bloodhound is beautiful to those who cherish the breed.

OBIO

TomSteber
March 30th, 2010, 06:42
Great model! Thank you so very much. Nicely done.

OBIO
March 30th, 2010, 07:33
WAHOOOOOOOO! This big bird is NICE! But, then again, what else would be expected from Jens B? Everything he does is golden.

OBIO

Sid2008
March 30th, 2010, 10:07
Most folks have heard of The Bermuda Triangle. What is seldom mentioned is this.... the largest single loss of personnel happened in 1951 when a C-124 Globemaster with 53 passengers disappeared without a trace. ***

jinx
March 31st, 2010, 17:24
I just flew the C-124, two flights in hard settings, one in fs9 from LGAT Hellenikon to LGAV Venizelos and the second in FSX, in Libya from Marsa Brega HMLB to Zueitina HLZU. For the latter flight I had real weather in the internet, 12 noon time, and had winds and sand in the air. Twice I stalled on takeoff but managed to life off very slwoly with trim the 3rd time and when I had gained some height, around 500 feet, I put the a/c on autopilot and turned around a a bit trying to decide where to go. By this time it was 3.15 am my time and I thought 'better land, so you can go to bed" so I landed at Zueitina, due north-northeast of Marsa Brega. The runway was short, or my approach too bad, and I over-ran the far end and shut engines and put on parking brakes to stop. The sea was a short distance ahead.

:wiggle:The airplane is fantastic in all respects. You should try Libya with an aircraft like Manuele Villa's wonderful Sparviero and high scenery settings if your machine can handle them, plus internet real weather.

My own reason for flying in Libya is that when I was a teenager I would listen to the US Air Force Station in Athens all day and I often heard the speakers speaking of flights to Libya, usually Tripoli, and I had seen these monsters on my way to the beach in the summers, when the road passed by the Hellenikon Air Base, and had sometimes wonder how such a big aircraft could fly.

The flight in Libya will lead me to downloading the scenery for it, two files so far, Benghazi and Tripoili, tomorrow, and to try with the Villa Sparviero.

Cheers:salute:

Nick Tselepides

Jagdflieger
April 1st, 2010, 16:09
Superlative work Jens. You spoil us constantly with your contributions.

The McChord Air Base Museum has a C-124. At the air shows they open it up and you can walk through the plane and inspect just about all of it.

Tom Clayton
April 1st, 2010, 18:27
Avsim link:

http://library.avsim.net/esearch.php?DLID=145988

And thinks to whoever stuck this one!:ernae:

RyDraiggoch
April 1st, 2010, 18:37
anyone fancy doing a 94th AW paint for Dobbins AFB around ohhhhhhhhh 1968 -- used to sit on the balcony of of apartment on PowderSprings and watch them lumbering out.

Leif

aeromed202
April 2nd, 2010, 03:09
Thanks Jens, wonderful work.:jump:

srgalahad
April 2nd, 2010, 14:37
The one-and-only turboprop YC-124B

http://www.theaviationzone.com/images/html/vintage/c124/page3.asp

Moses03
April 2nd, 2010, 16:05
The one-and-only turboprop YC-124B

Interesting. Didn't know they turboed up a version of the C-124.

Mick
April 3rd, 2010, 05:07
anyone fancy doing a 94th AW paint for Dobbins AFB around ohhhhhhhhh 1968 -- used to sit on the balcony of of apartment on PowderSprings and watch them lumbering out.
Leif

Got a photo? I just looked on the web and Mr. Google couldn't find one for me. If you can get me a photo I'll see what I can do.

I have similar memories. After having "outgrown" my childhood interest in airplanes, I rediscovered it after college. Part of the stimulus was standing on the dam at Quabbin Reservoir and watching New Hampshire Air Guard C-124s heading for their home at Pease AFB, or seeing MATS and SAC Globemonsters coming and going to and from Westover AFB. I just painted myself a NH ANG plane to commemorate those memories.

Mick
April 3rd, 2010, 05:19
I've been fiddling, and I've come up with some skins.

One item is a set of texture tweaks. I added better quality national insignia to all the paints, flipped the upside-down USAF on one of the wings, changed MATS to USAF on the wings of one plane (not sure Jens was "wrong" for that particular plane, but I couldn't find a photo to back up his choice, and other planes in the same livery had USAF there,) added arctic red to the outer wing panels and/or wingtip pods, as appropriate, for the paints that had arctic red on the tail, and a few other minor items that I can't recall right now. While I was at it I saved all the external textures in 32-bit format for better display quality, and I saved a set of generic textures to make repainting easy.

I also made some completely new paints. One is a SAC plane, complete with star spangled blue fuselage sash. Also a New Hampshire Air Guard plane (mentioned in my post above,) and since that one had a rather plain vanilla look, a more colorful one from the North Carolina Air Guard. Finally (?) I painted one in overall Aircraft Gray (aka "ADC Gray," aka "Dorsey Gray) from a photo I found on the web.

Now all I have to do is catch up on the time I lost while repainting the Globemonster, and package up the paints for release. Maybe later today... Maybe...

srgalahad
April 3rd, 2010, 05:53
Interesting. Didn't know they turboed up a version of the C-124.

The "48 Group Program" in effect for Fiscal Year (FY) 1949 authorized the purchase of giant Douglas C-124 Globemaster IIs. The procurement schedule called for the first to reach the flightline in May 1950. Manufactured by Douglas Aircraft Corporation at Long Beach, California, deliveries of C-124As began in May 1950. The USAF bought 448 C-124s before production ended in 1955. A total of 204 C-124As were built, to be followed by 243 C-124Cs. In July 1950 Douglas received a letter contract to begin work on the YC-124B. The turboprop-powered KC-124B tanker variant was considered, which emerged as a single YC-124B transport prototype that flew in 1954.
http://www.globalsecurity.org/military/systems/aircraft/c-124.htm

srgalahad
April 3rd, 2010, 06:50
Another picture of the YC-124B. It appears to be a test load when they were confirming that Redstone ( and later Thor and Atlas parts could fit in the -124 and probably used the YC-124B as it wasn't 'operational'
http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/C-124_Globemaster_II

Mick
April 3rd, 2010, 19:13
Repaints are up, on the New Files list.

SAC 1959 with a SAC sash around the fuselage.

New Hampshire Air Guard.

North Carolina Air Guard.

MATS in overall Aircraft Gray (aka "ADC Gray.)

A collection of tweaks for Jens' textures. Better national insignia, turned an upside-down marking right side up, added arctic red to outer wingswhere appropriate, that sort of thing.

srgalahad
April 4th, 2010, 21:15
114 SOB
23,000# cargo
5035nm
20:35:00 flight time
KSUU (Travis AFB) to ETAR (Ramstein AFB) with fuel stop in CYFB (Iqaluit)

Don't leave home without a good, large book.

Photos: 1)Short final ETAR; 2) Turning inbound VFR at CYFB; 3) Landfall Europe (flight hour 19); 4) Just past Churchill Man

tgibson
April 5th, 2010, 06:23
Hi,

MATS routes of the 1950's often flown by C-124's:

http://s784.photobucket.com/albums/yy125/CalClassic/Propliner%20Flying%20Charts/

Hope this helps,

Tom Gibson
CalClassic Propliners

chrisf36
April 5th, 2010, 09:41
Has anyone seen any paints for the original Globemaster, the C-74? Been lookin around for that one but haven't found any?

Thanks
Chris

Mick
April 5th, 2010, 19:52
Well, I'm sort of guessing here, but I suspect that the old C-74 was around for such a short time that they all just wore one standard livery and all looked alike except for the serial number on the fin and the Division name (Atlantic, Pacific, Continental) on the fin band. If that's so, it would pretty much kill the motivation to paint the model.

When I researched the C-124, which was in service for much longer, I found that there were just a few standard liveries, and only the small details varied between individual planes.

BTW, I agree with your signature banner! I spent most of last year fighting cancer, and while my chances of long term survival look good, I have post-op issues that will probably always be with me. (Well, at least it gave me an excuse to move my retirement date forward a bit.) Right now one of my best friends is taking his turn in the barrel, and his prospects are not nearly as good as mine. Yes, cancer sucks!

tgibson
April 6th, 2010, 06:47
Hi,

The book "Aircraft of the United States Military Air Transport Service" shows two schemes for the C-74:

1. Solid bare metal with the yellow MATS arrow and logo under the cockpit. Black band (edged in a light color) on tail with Division markings, black USAF number under that, and USAF roundel/bars under windows between wing and horiz. stab. Black MILITARY AIR TRANSPORT SERVICE over the windows (12 windows long). MATS number on nose within geometric shape.

2. Later scheme. Bare metal, with white top fuselage with black edge stripe. Black edge stripe is just above the windows. Black edging swoops up over the top of the fuselage just behind the cockpit windows, leaving a solid bare metal nose. Black U.S. AIR FORCE under the cockpit. Black edging bumps up slightly when it encounters the U.S. AIR FORCE lettering. No number on nose. All the rest the same as scheme 1, except the MILITARY AIR TRANSPORT SERVICE over the windows is much smaller (6 windows long).

Hope this helps,

burcham8
April 6th, 2010, 08:45
Gentlemen, I say you 'Mick Morrissey!"

As usual, Mick, your repaints are great! You remind me of one of my favorite classical music conductors, Sir Charles MacKerras, who Janet Baker dubbed "Chuck 'em up Charlie" for his sheer ability to turn out vast quanities of work.

Keep those "Old Shakey" repaints coming! :jump:

Marc Burcham

Mick
April 6th, 2010, 19:30
Hi,

The book "Aircraft of the United States Military Air Transport Service" shows two schemes for the C-74...

Same as the two basic C-124 schemes (except some C-124s in the later livery also had white tops.)

Well, that's twice as many liveries as I would've expected. I didn't think the C-74 was around long enough to wear the second of those two schemes.

Maybe a repaint might be in order to give us the scheme Jens didn't paint. And maybe a better set of stars & bars on the scheme he did paint. But I really don't have the time...

Mick
April 6th, 2010, 19:38
Gentlemen, I say you 'Mick Morrissey!"

As usual, Mick, your repaints are great! You remind me of one of my favorite classical music conductors, Sir Charles MacKerras, who Janet Baker dubbed "Chuck 'em up Charlie" for his sheer ability to turn out vast quanities of work.

Keep those "Old Shakey" repaints coming! :jump:

Marc Burcham

Thanks for the kind words!

I doubt that I'll do any more C-124s because we have all the basic "looks" that the plane wore, and any more points would just be a matter of different lettering. All that is left undone is a plane with a white fuselage top and without the arctic red markings. That would need a lot of work to do the rear fuselage fin junction, much more than the simple copy&paste&mix&match that the other paints were. Check out the texture files of the white topped paint, then a photo of a white topped C-124 without the red areas, and you'll see what I mean. It's possible, but not interesting enough to motivate me to do the work.

Any more paints would look just like one of the existing ones except for the lettering on the fuselage or fin. I wouldn't have time or motivation for that.

If you or anyone else are interested, I made a set of generic, factory-fresh textures of the later livery, the one that was in use longest and was worn by the most units, including all the Air Guard operators. Anyone who'd like a copy is welcome to one, just send me a PM with your e-address. Starting with this texture set, you could paint any C-124 with U.S. Air Force on the nose just by adding the appropriate unit markings. If you needed arctic red areas you could copy them from one of Jens' paints.