PDA

View Full Version : Beriev Be-103

falcon409
March 29th, 2010, 09:40
I think I already know the answer to this, but just in case I've missed something, I'll ask anyway.

Does anyone have this airplane working in FSX (I already do, that's not the question, lol). . . .and if so (here it comes) were you able to change the prop blur or is it coded in the model (I hate it when designers do that, lol).

I've looked at all the textures and unless it's hidden in there somewhere, I don't see a texture for it at all.:isadizzy:

Railrunner130
March 29th, 2010, 14:15
It's been a while since I tinkered with that airplane, but your post brought about a thought. I came across one airplane (not sure which one) that had the prop blur mixed in with another texture, like misc. parts or something.

falcon409
March 29th, 2010, 19:54
Nope, it must be part of the model. If it was a decent animation I wouldn't mess with it, but as you can see. . .it isn't, lol.

Ken Stallings
March 29th, 2010, 20:16
Feedback I have consistently tried to provide virtual aircraft designers is that it's better to have no animation for the spinning prop than to have one that shows too obviously. One of the worst aspects of motion video film is that it promoted a flawed belief regarding spinning props -- that they did those crazy tricks of standing still or rotating slowly backwards. All of that is created by the inability of the motion video film rate to come remotely close to the rotational speed of the prop blades.

It simply isn't that way in reality. Sitting in the cockpit, the prop can be barely seen and even then only under the right lighting conditions. Ultimately, the best results are obtained when you take the faintest and sheerest shade of gray and make it a more or less barely discernible "disc." Even on very thick blades, like on a C-130, the blades are difficult to see and are a whirling mass of constant, shinny, aluminum sheer disc.

Cheers,

Ken

Brian_Gladden
March 30th, 2010, 02:42
Gotta remember... the BE-103 was I think, Joe Binka's first public release way back in the FS 2002 days!!!

That it works pretty well in FSX is not to shabby!

Brian

falcon409
March 30th, 2010, 05:20
Gotta remember... the BE-103 was I think, Joe Binka's first public release way back in the FS 2002 days!!! That it works pretty well in FSX is not too shabby!
Brian
Very true Brian. I can overlook the poor prop blur, was hoping to find a way to correct it, but since I can't. . .onward and upward!!:salute: