PDA

View Full Version : Blinking links are slowly driving me insane.

spotlope
March 29th, 2010, 06:36
I love the new forums system, but the only thing that's driving me a little mad are the blinking text links. When they're in the "off" state of their blinks, I can't click on them in Firefox, which means that following any link is like playing a game of whack-a-mole. Rather than just bellyaching from the peanut gallery, I thought I'd do something about it. Attached is a revised stylesheet for the forums that switches all instance of blinking links to plain underlined. Nothing else is changed but that. To use the CSS file, just unzip it and drop it into the folder and replace the main-rollup.css document.

Thanks for the time ickie and all you mods put into the forums.

PRB
March 29th, 2010, 06:41
I don't have any blinking links here. I wonder if it's an individual setting someplace...

lefty
March 29th, 2010, 06:50
You're not the only one maddened by this 'improvement', Bill ! But PLEASE tell us just how exactly to 'drop the file into the folder' ????? I can't modify anything !

EasyEd
March 29th, 2010, 06:53
Hey All,

Firefox 3.0.18 and I play whack-a-mole too. Just click on the thread title a bunch of times and eventually you get in.

-Ed-

lefty
March 29th, 2010, 06:57
Yes Ed but it's a real PITA.......

PRB
March 29th, 2010, 06:58
Just fired up FireFox (3.5.2), and now I have blinking links too. Dang, this would drive me nuts! I'm going back to IE! :icon_lol: (And I'm sending this "up the chain" to the smart people in charge...)

spotlope
March 29th, 2010, 07:18
Just to clarify, this isn't a user mod, it's for ickie or someone on the team to implement. I was going to just PM him with the file, but apparently attachments aren't allowed for PMs. To "drop the file into the folder" you have to have access to the folder first. ;)

The reason IE doesn't support the blink and Firefox does is that it uses a CSS property ("blink") that isn't implemented in IE. Normally, I'm all for full compliance with standards, but this might be one place where IE has it right. Can't believe I just said that. heh.

JoeW
March 29th, 2010, 07:26
I'm using Firefox 3.6.2 and I ain't got no blinkin' links.....
Ya'll update and it'll be better.
:running:

dominique
March 29th, 2010, 07:32
I love the new forums system, but the only thing that's driving me a little mad are the blinking text links. When they're in the "off" state of their blinks, I can't click on them in Firefox, which means that following any link is like playing a game of whack-a-mole. Rather than just bellyaching from the peanut gallery, I thought I'd do something about it. Attached is a revised stylesheet for the forums that switches all instance of blinking links to plain underlined. Nothing else is changed but that. To use the CSS file, just unzip it and drop it into the http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/clientscript/vbulletin_css/style00025l/ folder and replace the main-rollup.css document.

Thanks for the time ickie and all you mods put into the forums.

Did you try to blink in synch so as not to see the OFF state ?

(soooorrrrrry, couldnt help :icon_lol:)

Seriously, the blinking does not seem to affect the hyperlinkage on my FF 3.6.2. (or I maybe lucky) It migth be some other cause at your end.

Snuffy
March 29th, 2010, 07:36
IE8 here and no blinking. :mixedsmi:

lefty
March 29th, 2010, 08:07
Joe - just upgraded to 3.6.2 and still nasty red blinks all the time.........

lefty
March 29th, 2010, 08:40
Have done some Googling and found the answer for Firefox-ites.

1. Type about:config in the location bar and click on 'I'll be careful, I promise' on the warning screen.
2. Type blink into the Filter box.
3. Double click on browser.blink_allowed to change its value to false. Blinking text inside < blink > tags in HTML should now not blink.

It works......

Dangerousdave26
March 29th, 2010, 08:54
I have Firefox 3.6.2 and the links flash but because I use the single click option in Windows I do not have the whack a mole issue.

What happens as I can see is the link should flash when you select it by single click.

Change from Double click to single click in your OS and the Blinking link is a non issue.

In XP go to the control panel/folder options

In the Click items as follows box select Single-click to open an item (point to select) and click Underline icon titles only when I point at them.

In W7 open Explorer (folder icon on bottom left near start button)

Click on Organize select folder and search options

In the "Click items as follows box" select Single-click to open an item (point to select) and click Underline icon titles only when I point at them
This takes you out of the dark ages of double click and into the proper world of clicking once. :icon_lol:
What before was the simple action of selecting a file by clicking it once is now done by pointing at it. executing which was done by the double click is not done by single click.

It does take a little getting used to and if you don't like it just go backwards.

MCDesigns
March 29th, 2010, 09:01
Have done some Googling and found the answer for Firefox-ites.

1. Type about:config in the location bar and click on 'I'll be careful, I promise' on the warning screen.
3. Double click on browser.blink_allowed to change its value to false. Blinking text inside < blink > tags in HTML should now not blink.

It works......

THANK YOU!! The blinking was driving me insane also. I have posted about it awhile back, but I guess a solution was never found or they haven't had time to get ti it. Now my search time on the forum has doubled, no more whack a mole trying to open a link YAHHHH!!

cheezyflier
March 29th, 2010, 09:15
i applaud you sir :applause:

you percieved a problem, and sought a solution rather than using it as an excuse to complain. i didn't have the problem because i use opera. but doing something yourself is highly admirable, imo. :medals:

spotlope
March 29th, 2010, 09:30
Lefty, prepare yourself. I'm about to send you a case of virtual beer. Thank you, thank you, thank you! :salute:

Henry
March 29th, 2010, 09:35
Lefty, prepare yourself. I'm about to send you a case of virtual beer. Thank you, thank you, thank you! :salute:
me too:wiggle:
thanks that works
H

PRB
March 29th, 2010, 09:41
Me too! Lefty's gonna have a lot of beer!

lefty
March 29th, 2010, 09:52
Me too! Lefty's gonna have a lot of beer!

Lefty, I can assure you, is highly absorbent.............

Delighted to help, gentlemen :wavey:

N2056
March 29th, 2010, 16:11
Awesome!

I had a hunch that there had to be a setting...but had no idea how to find it.
Thanks a bunch for curing that little headache!

This one on me! :icon29:

Navy Chief
March 29th, 2010, 16:23

What LOCATION bar?????

Am using Vista 64

Henry
March 29th, 2010, 16:28
up the top
here
http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/
H

Navy Chief
March 29th, 2010, 16:34
up the top
here
http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/
H

I get nothing but a blank screen when I go to that link. If that is what is supposed to happen, then I don't know what to do then.....

Thanks, Henry, though!

N2056
March 29th, 2010, 16:54
Chief, it looks like this for my Firefox...put that bit where I placed the red circle :salute:

Navy Chief
March 29th, 2010, 17:29
THANKS!

Who says you can't teach an old Chief new tricks?

Today isn't a lost cause after all; I learned something! That worked!!

YEA!!!!

NC

N2056
March 29th, 2010, 17:32
I'm always up for helping out the Chief! :salute: