PDA

View Full Version : Visibility change

aeromed202
March 29th, 2010, 04:16
Here is a question. Can the appearance of the visibility setting be changed in FS? It always looked too silver/white to me, like a fine water mist. I'm looking to make it more like the picture below, a smokey brown/blue. Is this possible, or is is hard coded. There are one or two cloud sets that attempt to get this effect but it doesn't come through the visibility setting. Do any add-on weather generators do this?

dogknot
March 29th, 2010, 10:26
I don't think it has ever been accomplished. At least not like your pic and from that angle.

FS9, if I recall correctly, creates the low vis situation with the stratus clouds.

In the early days of FS9, there was quite a discusiion on whether to turn the "fog" on or off....and, which looks more realistic? I think it concluded with "the eye of the beholder".
With that being said, whether the fog is on or off, FS9 will render fog/haze if two conditions are met: No clouds in the metar and a low visibility setting.

As you noted, some have attempted the colorization of cloud sets (cumulus and cirrus), some the sky textures, and some both. If set up correctly, the illusion can "almost" be perceived when looking straight out at the horizon and only at that angle. At least that is my perception/observation.

I have wondered, if FS9 really does use the low vis setting plus the stratus clouds, then could a colorized version of stratus be activated with say a batch file? Perhaps a bluish set for that light-industrial view and maybe a brown mud version for that eye-burning, lung-choking, LA type of atmosphere? I don't know.

aeromed202
March 29th, 2010, 12:48
You jogged a memory of something along the cloud texture line. Didn't Blue Sphere offer clear, smog, and maybe another setting, I think using one of the cloud textures very thinly? I'm going to track that one down and see what that was about. Thanks

JSkorna
March 29th, 2010, 13:11
Hi,

Active Sky Graphics, a component of ASV6.5 has different colors of haze and different thicknesses as well.

aeromed202
March 29th, 2010, 16:07
I'll check that out J. In the meantime I found the Blue Sphere source. It alters a cirrus file with different hues and densities. For now it offers a rather satisfying effect that I was after. Try it out and see if you agree.