PDA

View Full Version : B-17 Operations Scrubbed. Technical lectures scheduled until the weather front clears

Lewis-A2A
March 28th, 2010, 09:48
Hey guys,

RAF Met office reports the front will be clear by the end of the coming week.

In the meantime you need to get your heads around this,

http://www.a2asimulations.com/wingsofpower/wop2_b17g/A2A_B17_Accusim_Manual.pdf
(Right click save as)

A real pilot must know his aircraft inside out, so take advantage of the scrubbed op's and get on it!

We will let you know the progress of the weather fronts, and dont worry. You will be first to know when Op's are on! :salute:

crashaz
March 28th, 2010, 09:52
I'm on it!!:jump:

crashaz
March 28th, 2010, 09:58
Holy cow!! 159 pages! This will take a bit of time... good idea providing it to us early.

After reading this... and getting some airtime in this coming weekend.... wonder if the Collings Foundation guys will let me get some stick time as they are in town April 7-12th.:d

BOOM
March 28th, 2010, 10:23
Very Nice!!! Thank You!

Wittpilot
March 28th, 2010, 10:26
I have yet to get anything "accusimed" ... Does the addition of accusim drop frame rates at all ? That is, compared to the base model of the aircraft...

Ken Stallings
March 28th, 2010, 10:30
The details being offered up by the payware vendors have reached a level that supports detailed knowledge of aircraft operations. In truth, if folks put the effort into mastering these intricacies, they demonstrate the skills needed to become competent real world pilots!

Ken

Lewis-A2A
March 28th, 2010, 10:43
The performance impact can be minimal, but with this release we went a bit OTT on some eyecandy stuff.:kilroy:

Ill let the actual customers of current releases answer your question better though.

jankees
March 28th, 2010, 10:47
I'm ready for it!

jim
March 28th, 2010, 11:46
I'm running out of ink..............................................b ut, bring it on.

tigisfat
March 28th, 2010, 12:38
I have yet to get anything "accusimed" ... Does the addition of accusim drop frame rates at all ? That is, compared to the base model of the aircraft...

not really, Accusim is more about systems modelling as it pertains to playing sounds and failing systems in unique ways. There is nothing that really has an effect on your system's ability to draw what you see. I don't know enough about the P-47 and B-17 to confirm this, my observations are based on the 377 and the cub.

pbearsailor
March 28th, 2010, 19:18
OK, I've **** now. :salute: Really nice job. I know B-17 history pretty well, but it's still nice to read it in the manual. It reads like a RL complex aircraft manual, lots of details, appreciate the pics and schematics.

Most of my flying career has been in a crew environment and I really look forward to the way you've integrated the crew into the operation of the plane. I love the Strat, but that copilot is just about worthless. I don't mind being busy on takeoff, it's mostly just the flow, but it just isn't realistic for a crew environment. Sure reads like the B-17 will be.

When I've only got a little time for flight sim, I like to just get in and fly. But, when there's time, I really appreciate the effort you guys have put into making it as real as possible. My father flew B-17's, so I have a special feeling for this plane.

cheers,
steve :wavey:

anthony31
March 28th, 2010, 21:00
Hey guys,

RAF Met office reports the front will be clear by the end of the coming week.

Should one take it that this means the B17 will be released by the end of the week?

Lewis-A2A
March 28th, 2010, 21:29
Anthony!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v471/Madaboutsims/careless.jpg

The walls have Ears, ill let you know when the front starts to clear and Op's are back on. At least the weather affects them as well, the locals havent been strafed for 3 days on a trott now!

Kiwikat
March 28th, 2010, 21:38
Will there be videos posted in the coming week? Like detailed videos about the various accusim features like you had for the previous planes?

I'm VERY excited about this one. The manual is great! :ernae:

Lewis-A2A
March 28th, 2010, 21:50
Yes Kiwi.

Intelligence Officer has already given us the films. Trouble is we have lost the damn projector. Bet it was them limeys up the road!

Once we get the blasted thing back, we will get the films showing in the mess hut.

:ernae:

Roadburner440
March 28th, 2010, 22:18
Lewis you really are having a blast with this aren't you :icon_lol:. I only had a quick chance to look through the manual before having to lay down to take a nap before coming to work (darn overnight shifts). I must say it is looking impressive. Having the possibility of hydraulic & glycol leaks is astounding. Can't wait to see how badly you can break this aircraft. Can't wait for the final product.

Cag40Navy
March 28th, 2010, 22:32
i cant wait to do a little "Cowboyin" round and roundin up all the cattle with this bird.

Lionheart
March 28th, 2010, 23:38
That is one awesome manual Lewis. Great job on that. Even the linkages for the cowl flaps...

What a complex aircraft.

Bill

Timm
March 29th, 2010, 00:05
Intelligence Officer has already given us the films. Trouble is we have lost the damn projector. Bet it was them limeys up the road!
Hi,
I got one spare if you need it mind you its an old Bell and Howell one left over from the SKC at Middle Wallop back in the mid 70's. Timm

dougal
March 29th, 2010, 02:43
If the bird it self is as well put together as the manual, it'll be terrific.

Just one thing.... What's with all these 'landscape' page layouts? They're APITA to print out:a1451:
:wavey:

Javis
March 29th, 2010, 03:00
If the bird it self is as well put together as the manual, it'll be terrific.

I don't even care for the model anymore. I'll settle for flying the real thing with this at hand. :salute:

txnetcop
March 29th, 2010, 04:40

If you have a good solid core 2 duo or core 2 quad system with a decent DX10 video card your frame rate drop is minimal. The benefits of accusim are extremely high when it comes to "real world" operation and it can be turned on or off.
Ted
<input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">

Snuffy
March 29th, 2010, 05:31
I have the pre-accusimed WoP2 B-17 and she flies great on my machine.

Wittpilot
March 29th, 2010, 12:49
I have the Intel 2 Quad Core with an NVIDIA GeForce GT120 with 8 GB of RAM... It isn't the smoothest, but it satisfies me most of the time... Runds FS9 great!

MudMarine
March 29th, 2010, 13:22
A2A better hurry up and release the Fort, the Germans might win the war if it takes any longer!!

EgoR64
March 29th, 2010, 13:57
Neat !! :ernae:

Waiting - Watching !!

Many Cheers !!

pilottj
March 29th, 2010, 14:51
lol great manual, with this plane and manual you should be able to get a type rating in the real one lol:D I imagine this would be a great tool for RL warbird pilots wishing to get time in the B-17.

crashaz
March 29th, 2010, 15:58
Yes Kiwi.

Once we get the blasted thing back, we will get the films showing in the mess hut.

First with taking all the girls and now we get accused of taking your projector. :icon_lol:

Lewis-A2A
March 30th, 2010, 01:09
Front is starting to clear, test flight went up with Scott to check out the conditions

http://www.a2asimulations.com/wingsofpower/wop2_b17g/screenshots/1.jpg

http://www.a2asimulations.com/wingsofpower/wop2_b17g/screenshots/2.jpg

http://www.a2asimulations.com/wingsofpower/wop2_b17g/screenshots/3.jpg

http://www.a2asimulations.com/wingsofpower/wop2_b17g/screenshots/4.jpg

http://www.a2asimulations.com/wingsofpower/wop2_b17g/screenshots/5.jpg

http://www.a2asimulations.com/wingsofpower/wop2_b17g/screenshots/6.jpg
Note the intercooler flaps above, as the co-pilot can manage the engines for you.

stiz
March 30th, 2010, 01:57
oooooo purdy! :applause: :applause:

txnetcop
March 30th, 2010, 06:27
This baby is soooooooooooooooo H-O-T!!!!!! Great job A2A and team!!!
Ted
<input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">

MudMarine
March 30th, 2010, 06:31
So hot they're finally going to release it?:icon_lol: Yes I know it hasn't really been that long!

Lewis-A2A
March 30th, 2010, 17:01
TELEGRAM

8TH ARMY AIRFOCE - SUFFOLK

FRONT MOVING FASTER THAN EXPECTED -STOP- EXPECTED CLEAR UNLESS STRONG WINDS -STOP- CURRENTLY NO SIGN OF WINDS FROM EAST -STOP- GIVE JERRY HELL FOR US! -STOP-

RAF MET OFFICE
LONDON

PRB
March 30th, 2010, 17:12
Looks like we're on for - soonish! Grab your flight jacket and tin hat. And radio mike, and electric furry pants. And .45. And GLoves. And life preserver. Whoohoo!

lawdawg
March 30th, 2010, 17:19
another RAF MET report I found...

RAF MET REPORT

FRONT MOVING FASTER THAN EXPECTED -STOP- OPERATIONS BEING PLANNED READY FOR CLEARING -STOP- BE PREPARED FOR OPS SOON -STOP-

Yeehaw

Kiwikat
March 30th, 2010, 17:25
Oh man, is it time to pull out the F5 button? :d

P.S. Lewis, did ya find the projector?

lawdawg
March 30th, 2010, 17:41
F5 locked and phasers set to stun.

MudMarine
March 30th, 2010, 17:48
LEWIS IS A TEASE-STOP-LOL-STOP

Matt Wynn
March 30th, 2010, 17:52
Crew of the 'Smooth Slammer' (My Bird) stood to, "hey PRB not forgetting your flak jackets are ya? Jerry don't exactly like our lot flying about" *Stares at the sky* weathers clearing...

shame theres no 'Spook' Fortress... RAF used 3 (I Think) B-17's (Fortress III's) as radio and radar jammers for their night time raids over germany, night fighters can't get ya if they can't talk to the ground radar :icon_lol:

B-17 Fortresses with No. 214 Squadron. These aircraft were crammed with newly developed, and secret, electronic devices. Murray recalled that, "We went to war without bombs but with Tinsel, ABC, Mandrel, Jostle and all the other countermeasures invented by the Telecommunications Research Establishment at Malvern. The crew included a "Special Wireless Operator," a fluent German-speaking airman whose primary function was to tune his powerful jammer -- code-named 'Jostle' -- to the frequencies being used by the German night-fighter controllers and blot out their transmissions to their own questing night-fighters."

http://www.lancastermuseum.ca/photos/p_murraypeden4.jpg

^Note the Telescopic 'Cigar' antenna...

Anyways... Stood to and waiting (im)patiently (At times) :salute:

Scratch
March 30th, 2010, 17:54
That would be a cool paint to have. I hope somebody does it.

daytonite_andy
March 30th, 2010, 20:53
She's looking lovely. Hopefully it will be bacon and powdered eggs for breakfast soon. P.S. Anybody seen my navigator? :)

Roadburner440
March 30th, 2010, 21:53
Those screens are impressive. Looks even better than it did in the video. After reading the manual I did not realize that the cowl flaps were hydraulicly driven... that should be an interesting failure if the pump craps out on you, or you run out of fluid in flight. Especially if you have the cowl flaps set for cruise.. better pray you don't have to go around, lol. I just see engines either catching fire/or dying completely. As long as the hydraulic pump doesn't fail as much as it does in my P-47D I think I'll be good. :applause: This is going to be a fun aircraft.

Bomber_12th
March 30th, 2010, 22:11
Luckily, R-1820's aren't prone to catching fire, or over-heating that easily. In most cases you have to be more concerned about keeping the engines warm, rather than cool, such as on descent.

Lewis-A2A
March 31st, 2010, 06:46
Found the projector, Damn limeys were laughing so hard at chaplin they didnt notice us when to got the thing back and the room when black!

Would post the vids here but they are a bit small here so ill just link over to Scotts post;

http://a2asimulations.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=21394

Gawd knows what the limeys will be planning for revenge!

Kiwikat
March 31st, 2010, 06:52
omgomgomgomg

woohoooooooooooooo!

Matt Wynn
March 31st, 2010, 10:01
ok who ordered the RAF Bird, have her WIP, Noseart as 'Archangels Aces' (Archangel being my nickname on base), another few hours and she should be done... :salute: