PDA

View Full Version : Alternative Voice system for ATC?

letsgetrowdy
March 28th, 2010, 01:40
Hi people!

Does anyone know if there is an alternative voice system to the default one on free flight in FSX? I mean so that one could get different accents in different countries - the default ones are US and sound pretty robotic. Does anyone know of an other program that lets one change this?

Javis
March 28th, 2010, 02:00
Radar Contact is what you're looking for. It is very good, much more realistic and versatile compared to FS default ATC but if you think FS default ATC voices sound robotic wait till you hear those of RC...

http://www.jdtllc.com/products.htm

Personally i think FS default ATC voices sound great, it's just very,very limited, mainly because the voices actually do not sound robotic.

cheers,
jan

letsgetrowdy
March 28th, 2010, 02:09
Thanks mate.
I think that it was just the particular voice number I had it on that made it sound a little fake.

guzler
March 28th, 2010, 06:42
Personally i think FS default ATC voices sound great, it's just very,very limited, mainly because the voices actually do not sound robotic.

cheers,
jan

If you live in the UK, they sound so American !

n4gix
March 28th, 2010, 08:57
Hi people!

Does anyone know if there is an alternative voice system to the default one on free flight in FSX? I mean so that one could get different accents in different countries - the default ones are US and sound pretty robotic. Does anyone know of an other program that lets one change this?

If you really want to know WHY practically nothing has ever been done, download and read the FS9 "ATC Voicepack SDK"...

...nothing changed from FS9 to FSX, so the SDK is remains relevant. Here are a few brief quotes:

Recording and editing audio content is the most time-intensive task involved in creating a voicepack. Flight Simulator 2004 contains voicepacks that were built using nearly 5,000 .wav files per voice. Agent and airport names (e.g., “Seattle Tower,” “Heathrow Ground,” and “Cairo Approach”) constitute the largest percentage of .wav files: close to 3,600 agent and airport name .wav files were recorded in each voice. Even if you choose not to record agent names for a new voicepack, you must still record and edit many phrase and token .wav files. The user will not hear any phrases or names that do not have an associated .wav file.

Note that the "recording" of 8,600 .wav files per voice is the easiest part of the process. It is the naming and editing process that takes the most time!

2.1.2 Tokens and .Wav file markers
Phraseology in Flight Simulator 2004 ATC consists of words and tokens. Tokens mark places in a phrase where other content is inserted when the phrase is built at run time. The corresponding audio obviously needs to be inserted as well, and this is done with markers in the .wav files. It is crucial that the markers are inserted in the correct location in the audio sequence within the .wav file, and that the markers are spelled correctly. You can insert markers in .wav files using a variety of commercially available audio editors (such as Sound Forge® from Sonic Foundry). After the voicepack is built, you can run it through the VPEdit QA test. VPEdit will highlight any discrepancies between marker and token spellings, and marker and token placements.

Bjoern
March 28th, 2010, 22:00
Radar Contact is very good, but its biggest drawback is the lack of included callsigns and airports.