PDA

View Full Version : False Positive

EasyEd
March 27th, 2010, 11:51
Hey All,

Seeing this suddenly. As antivir updates daily and FS hasn't been started in a couple weeks and the file of concern dates tp Oct 2006 I think it's a false positive but thought I'd ask. Anybody else run across this?

-Ed-

dogknot
March 27th, 2010, 12:21
Can't say if it is or not, but my modules folder doesn't have a bglman.dll

Willy
March 27th, 2010, 12:22
Mine doesn't either.

dogknot
March 27th, 2010, 12:31
I googled it. Looks like a number of payware sceneries do use it (Cloud9 stuff for example), Addon manager, and some others.

EasyEd
March 27th, 2010, 12:35
Hey All,

I just did some googling as well seems at least one other antivir program is flagging the file as a virus also. So I'll just see if I can get Antivir to not scan it. You are right as I bought the Cloud9 Phantom years ago and I believe it installed the file.

-Ed-

Duckie
March 27th, 2010, 12:50
YEP. My Cloud 9 stuff installed and uses it. The C9 stuff will not work without it. I found out the hard way a couple years ago when I had my AV delete that file!

Duckie

jkcook28
March 27th, 2010, 17:26
Avast did that to me a couple months ago after an update. It ate my Phantom! Set up Avast to skip the .../Modules folder in FS. No probs since. Even the F-4 re-install was painless.

Tom Clayton
March 27th, 2010, 19:34
My anti-virus skips the entire Microsoft Games folder completely - but then every file in there was put there either from known and trusted installer authors, the original game CD's, or manually by me after running in installer to a temp folder. Exempting that folder from full system scans cut nearly 20% from scan times!

Z-DarthVader
March 28th, 2010, 04:00
Hey All,

Seeing this suddenly. As antivir updates daily and FS hasn't been started in a couple weeks and the file of concern dates tp Oct 2006 I think it's a false positive but thought I'd ask. Anybody else run across this?

-Ed-

Fact is that a lot of the so-called security measures used by many payware companies use the exact same technology as people writing viruses and trojans and so forth.

There is however a marked difference in how different antivirus proggies recognize them, i.e. a lot of difference in severity. I use ESET smart security suite, and it has few if any problems with false positives. Most freeware security or antivirus suites do have that problem, as do Norton and McAfee.

Just configure your security to skip the C:\program files\microsoft games folder, and you're good to go!

Hope this helps!

May the Force be with you.

DV