PDA

View Full Version : The Incredible TV Monitor Odysee and Gray Eyebrow Inducement Theories

Lionheart
March 27th, 2010, 09:59
Hey all,

Recently, I decided to get a new TV as a treat for when I launched the Epic Victory. My TV was an old boob-tube type with failing lines accross the top, jittering picture now and then, really bad single speaker sound, etc. Really in bad shape. So, Sunday, I went to the store and looked around. I figured I would spend about $400.00, give or take $50.00 for a nice LCD TV with a built in DVD player.

So I get there, and here is this dang MAMMOTH TV, LCD HD thing, calling my name. Its 42" and $698.00. (Half of the Apple monitor and 12" bigger). I start reading the box, trying not to be overwhelmed. (A new TV prospect to the average male, of course, is like shining lights in the eyes of a deer at night, like hovering fresh cooked bacon before a guy that hasnt eaten in 5 days, like showing a person a cold drink of mountain water to a person that hasnt had a drink in 3 days. Like showing a woman a brand new purse or pair of shoes from the latest Paris fashion show... eeeks.. yes... that bad)!

I am reading.. and reading.. Comes with a Computer link in the back, 3 HDVI sockets, perhaps 7 inputs in all, has a flip out front iPod tray plugin door, can play videos and music from your iPod, can play photos from flash drives and cameras (built in photo show program), has two USB input sockets as well.

The thing is incredible... Bottom line. Ultimate male thing of beauty....

So, I figure, its cheaper then the Apple screen, can do more. I will get it. Deep breath. Go get the huge cart, load the gigantic box on, get a few supplies, pay for it, haul it home.

I get it set up. Run over to the Apple store, get the cable I need to adapt it to the TV/iMac via D-sub monitor cable. I link it up. eeks.. Not the greatest. I figure, it will be a great TV. I can use it for that. No worries.

Then 2 days ago, I try the HDMI monitor/computer link. I get the expensive (very expensive) cable and also the adapter for iMacs to HDMI. I get home, plug it in, and my eyeballs jump put of my head and do a Happy Dance on the desk, singing 'OH MY GOSH! AWESOME-NESS!' (something like that.. I had to catch them and pop them back in. Took like 5 min's to catch them).

So... My mind races.. I can move the TV to main desk position, move iMac over here, move this there. I'll need a new, longer power cable, new power strip for this area, etc... Run to Wallyworld, back fast, new parts, hooking up wires. I have the iMac up on a stand to the right, GIGANTIC MANLY TV is facing it. I am on desk, reaching behind it, pulling wires around, linking things, when there is this hideous crash..... The iMac has fallen forward, off its stand by me, pulling on wires. I hear the sound of glass shattering. I think, man.. Should I look? My heart is racing... The Mac had fallen into the screen of the 42" super screen. Two gigantic gouges are cut into the surface. The alien like Magic Mouse has a crack in its plexi casing. The desk has two long cuts in the oak surface where the Mac decelerated to a stop, face down. I lift it up, no damage. I turn on the Mac, and amazingly, it boots up! Thank you God! Lionheart Creations is in this thing... I turn on the TV.. Grim.. . Very very very grim... Tons of unique squares all over the place. I had thought it only had scratches. No.. Underneath was a glass screen, which shattered.

No insurance. I call the store, JVC, a local shop. No insurance or any help. Price of replacement screen; $1030.00 USD (before tax and shipping). Tears... Drinking wine comes to mind. My eyebrows sense the extreme stress and immediately start graying a super metallic form of white, the lightest shade of gray there is... They are glowing... Thats how grey they were...

My sister calls.. Calms me down. Tells me to call the credit card company. Ureka. They have a plan for items that disasters happen to. A insurance program. I fill out the paper work. If all goes well, they will buy it back in 2 weeks.

In the mean time, I still need a basic TV... I think on it. If they do cover it, and I need one now, should I just go get another? 'of course! you must! Now....!!!!' comes to mind. Its the little guy on the left shoulder, dressed in red. I pray. I weigh the decision... I am off to the store again. I load another gigantic 42" TV onto the big cart. Off I go. Back home. Delicately moving things around (this time) with plastic on everything, taking no chances...

Well, I have to tell you. This dang thing is amazing. Cutting film (editing movies) and bouncing from Mac mode to Windows, having two screens (mostly using only one), is just crazy awesome. I feel like I have Tony Starks futuristic computer monitor from 'Iron Man' (the movie). At first, it was daunting, but after a while of working on it, I think I have pretty much adapted. If I needed to, I could switch back to the 24" screen of the iMac.

Here are some screenshots. Mind you, the iMac is huge, and next to the JVC TV, it looks quite small.

The wierd part is, when I play movies and video from the iPhone on the TV, they play in High Definition (HD). I cant believe it. I can now transfer iTunes movies to the iPhone and watch them on the giant screen.

Now, the resolution isnt the greatest. Its 1080P, what ever that is. I think its 1080 pixels high, so around 2,000 pixels wide. But for me, its fine. The font is etchy while on the iMac, its lazer quality. But again, its fine enough for me.

Some screenshots.

Lionheart
March 27th, 2010, 10:07
A couple of more shots.

The two Apple looking odd things with blue rings around round buttons are the external drives with HD's plugged into the top '8-track player' style.

Co-pilot looking out the window, hoping to see ducks..

jmig
March 27th, 2010, 10:12
I would have been too pissed to think straight. That credit card insurance is a good deal. I wouldn't have thought of that at all.

All's well ends well!

:salute:

kilo delta
March 27th, 2010, 11:39
Glad to hear you got it all sorted out okay,Bill. :). The Apple screen is well and good but nothing can match a HUGE screen for gaming so long as it's 1080p and has a decent refresh rate:d

PS. 1080P is 1920x1080.. top notch ;)

cheezyflier
March 27th, 2010, 12:51
wow, what a roller coaster that post was!!!

i'm glad you found something awesome. when i first read that you had an accident with it, my heart sunk like a stone. i sure hope the c.c. insurance works for you. i sent prayers just in case.

N2056
March 27th, 2010, 13:02
Wow! I sure hope that it all ends well!

Rule #1 for me when it comes to things with wires (especially $$$ things): SLOW DOWN. ;)
Oh...and the TV looks cool! We just got a 26" w/DVD player for the bedroom last week. It replaced an old 19" CRT set. It's fun to be able to read things like the score of the game I'm watching again!

Wing_Z
March 27th, 2010, 13:36
Well done...I also have a big TV that does double duty sometimes as a flightsim monitor (when the family doesn't notice). It's a bit weird sitting close to the thing like a normal computer monitor, not viewing it from 3m away like a TV. It creates a fair bit of heat in your face!
One thing...try to give back the expensive HDMI cables as part of the insurance thing.
Analogue cables need heavy expensive stuff - I have kilometers of Monster Cable - but digital...nope.
The shoestring thing that comes with the TV is just fine.

Chacha
March 27th, 2010, 14:25
I just noticed how beautiful your NEW TV is...

I love it....

Side by side with your iMAc computer.... Real cool...

The huge window is a plus as well and .....

(I love the flower design curtain...) :)

Terry
March 27th, 2010, 14:28
A lesson I learned a long time ago is never buy a TV with a built in player of any kind. If the player breaks you have to pay too much to fix it. Get a separate player, they are cheap, when they break throw it out and get a new one.

Lionheart
March 27th, 2010, 17:11
I
The huge window is a plus as well and .....

(I love the flower design curtain...) :)

Ahhh... Making fun of my curtains, are we?

I see how it is... lol

Terry,

Roger that. This one does not have a built in DVD player, but it does have a bagel toaster, rear mounted aux power solar array panel, room freshner cannister misting discharge system, built in emergency light system for the room, AM/FM/8track player, 3 drink cup holders, 2 hidden storage compartments, a vanity mirror for adjusting my make-up and hair-do, self cleaning, de-static-izing forward screen surface, and electro-illuminating glowing blue things on the front lower edge trim.

:d

harleyman
March 27th, 2010, 19:25
Man Bill..It sure got wacked there...What a shame..Don't that just chafe your butt too????

man...Great looking set up..I recogonized your drive caddy right off..NICE

And love the duck hunter...

and yes, the flowered curtains..

OBIO
March 27th, 2010, 19:47
Bill

I hope the insurance buy-back goes through for ya. I know the joys of getting new gadgets, the excitement of getting them hooked up and the agony of breaking something in my rush.

Which is why our 42 inch HDTV is in the living room and will NEVER come into my office/sim room.

One thing that burns my biscuits about our TV. When we bought it a year ago, retail price was $1399. I saw the same set advertised 2 days ago....$566 dollars. Luckily, I drove a hard bargain and got our set for $799....having salesmen who work for commission means they will gut the bosses throat to put some cash into their own wallet :jump:.

OBIO

Chacha
March 28th, 2010, 20:15
I just noticed something in your picture that I like to know about.... (no not the green floss!)

It is a gadget that looks like there is an eye on it.... near the mug of your favorite wine ... err ... tea... :)..

... What is it?

Lionheart
March 28th, 2010, 23:22
ChaCha,

Do you mean the glass sphere to the far left? Looks like its almost 2" in diameter?

Chacha
March 29th, 2010, 03:46
ChaCha,

Do you mean the glass sphere to the far left? Looks like its almost 2" in diameter?

Not that one, sire....

It is on the right of the green floss,
behind the cup...
...somehow it is shaped like a duck (to my eyes), with a base... and knobs...
... what is it?

Terry
March 29th, 2010, 04:18
That's a Saitek throttle. Nice piece of hardware!

Chacha
March 29th, 2010, 04:25
Thanks Terry,

I thought it was a joy stick or something..... :jump:

Lionheart
March 29th, 2010, 13:13
Terry is on it. Its the base Saitek X-52 joystick set. Left side is that throttle quad thing, and the right side is the joystick side with another 20 or 30 blinky lights and star wars buttons and toggles.. (and HATS, 2).

There is a nicer one that has chrome and things on it. This one does ok. I miss my early version that didnt have the TV screen things on it/them. Still had a side throttle quad.

You can sometimes find these on sale for $99.00 or less. Sometimes.

Bill

n4gix
March 29th, 2010, 20:35
Some screenshots.

You're just pulling our legs. That's a minature keyboard that just makes the monitor look HUGE... :bump:

Sorry to hear about the "accident" with the new 42" HDTV. I hope the CC insurance does pay you back for the loss!

It's incredible that the replacement costs for the screen is about 200% of what you paid for the whole thing to begin with! :redfire:

Chacha
March 29th, 2010, 20:49
Terry is on it. Its the base Saitek X-52 joystick set. Left side is that throttle quad thing, and the right side is the joystick side with another 20 or 30 blinky lights and star wars buttons and toggles.. (and HATS, 2).

There is a nicer one that has chrome and things on it. This one does ok. I miss my early version that didnt have the TV screen things on it/them. Still had a side throttle quad.

You can sometimes find these on sale for $99.00 or less. Sometimes.Bill

Thanks....

<<---- Going shopping.... :running:

Lionheart
March 29th, 2010, 21:49
It's incredible that the replacement costs for the screen is about 200% of what you paid for the whole thing to begin with! :redfire:

Thanks Bill.

The days of our repairing our own TV's seems to be leaving us fast... or long gone.

They must sell alot of those at that price.

Bill

Navy Chief
March 29th, 2010, 23:38
Bill,

You really should submit your story to Reader's Digest. They would probably publish it!!!

Great!

Pete