PDA

View Full Version : 342 (French) Squadron Boston coming soon...

ndicki
March 27th, 2010, 05:56
This is my latest - a Boston MkIII of 342 (French) Squadron ("Groupe Lorraine"), August 1943. This one was lost during a raid by 40 Bostons from 88, 107 and 342 Sqns on the naval stores in Rennes on 8th August. It crash landed near Sopley, with the loss of two of the four crew members; Flt Lt de Brettes and Plt Off Hetigin were killed, while Flt Sgt Bodin and Sgt Tharnou survived. Three other aircraft were lost, two to flak and one on landing at Hurn. The raid was however successful.

I'd like to release it as a full stand-alone, which would mean that our No.1 mission-writer House Hobbit would be able to do a few missions for it...

Again, is there anybody who disagrees with my plans? If so, please say so without hesitation!

http://i793.photobucket.com/albums/yy214/ndicki/Boston%20MkIII/Boston_342_a.jpg

http://i793.photobucket.com/albums/yy214/ndicki/Boston%20MkIII/Boston_342_b.jpg

Emile
March 27th, 2010, 08:38
Woah .....

BeauBrummie
March 27th, 2010, 09:01
Nice one Nigel, I love the Boston, and the more Free-French aircraft the better. With Owen's Mission factory output, I'm sure he'll be able to fit you in mate. However I'm not sure theat any mission builder can reflect the poignancy of French crews bombing French targets. On one of my visits to Elvington last year, I watched a film of a raid on France by the French Halifax squadrons; No. 346 (Guyenne) and No.347 (Tunisie), and the sadness of the crews on arrival back to base was apparent.

garykidman
March 27th, 2010, 09:34
i think it's abeauty and deserves a mission

Gary

HouseHobbit
March 27th, 2010, 09:38
Hey Guys you can Bet I'd greatly enjoy building for this bird.
THANK YOU Nigel for this Effort
BRAVO..
It looks Great..
Planning mission as we speak..
LOL..LOL..

I can hold off on posting the DB-7 missions to use the Proper Free French Bird in them instead, and send me info on the Free French raid you all spoke of
I'll try very hard to make Good historical mission for it.

va44
March 27th, 2010, 10:02
She is very beautiful.

Thanks
:applause::icon_lol::applause: :icon_lol::applause:

ndicki
March 27th, 2010, 10:55
Nice one Nigel, I love the Boston, and the more Free-French aircraft the better. With Owen's Mission factory output, I'm sure he'll be able to fit you in mate. However I'm not sure theat any mission builder can reflect the poignancy of French crews bombing French targets. On one of my visits to Elvington last year, I watched a film of a raid on France by the French Halifax squadrons; No. 346 (Guyenne) and No.347 (Tunisie), and the sadness of the crews on arrival back to base was apparent.

I can imagine. Anybody coming back to Elvington from anywhere, to be frank... Joking apart, though, I can imagine.

ndicki
March 27th, 2010, 11:08
Hey Guys you can Bet I'd greatly enjoy building for this bird.
THANK YOU Nigel for this Effort
BRAVO..
It looks Great..
Planning mission as we speak..
LOL..LOL..

I can hold off on posting the DB-7 missions to use the Proper Free French Bird in them instead, and send me info on the Free French raid you all spoke of
I'll try very hard to make Good historical mission for it.

Bear in mind this is pre-D-Day! The raid I know of is a No.2 Group show on Rennes on 8th August, as mentioned above. That's all I do know, though.

Other raids I know of by 342 Sqn are:

3rd July 1943, Langebrugge.
2nd Sept 1943, Veules-les-Roses
1st Oct 1943, Ramrod 258, 11 Bostons from 342 Sqn to Chevilly la Rue
19th Oct 1943, 37 Bostons from 88, 107, 342 Sqns to Courcelles, Belgium
22nd Dec 1943, 12 Bostons each from 88, 107, 342 Sqns to Mesnil Allard
23rd Dec 1943, 36 Bostons from 88, 107, 342 Sqns to Mesnil Allard

Those are the few missions I know anything at all about in autumn-winter 1943. But really all I do know is there. Not much to go on, I'm afraid!

O-1Driver
March 27th, 2010, 13:15
Nigel,

This was one of the few aircraft that Ed did and he was somewhat protective of the files. All he asked was that the aircraft not be "parted out" and that the original read me files were included in any uploads. I think he would be happy to see the aircraft get some use beyond PTO.

"Quote
gzr_groundhog

This aircraft is FREEWARE. It will not be bought, sold, or uploaded to any website that charges a fee
for access to downloads without providing a free download alternative. It is my intention for this model
to stay intact therefore I will not give permission to use parts from this model for different planes , i.e. the
cockpit. Permission from the author is required prior to uploading the original files to any web-site.
Repaints are encouraged provided that all file names are changed and that the original read-me file is
left intact and unchanged, permission to upload these files is not required as long as they are provided
for free download only.
End Quote"

ndicki
March 27th, 2010, 13:22
Seen, noted and respected - thanks!

If you check out the DB-7 versions I've uploaded already, I've put a pretty copious read-me in there giving all due credit, and equally drawing attention to the original read-me which I've also enclosed. I did begin working on this aircraft while Ed was still alive, and with his blessing, so I think I'm all right to go ahead!

Wholeheartedly agreed that he'd have wanted to see it getting as much legitimate use as possible - John and I have already divided up the jobs we want to do...

ndicki
March 28th, 2010, 03:20
It's up! With an AI-only version included.

http://i793.photobucket.com/albums/yy214/ndicki/Boston%20MkIII/Boston_342_final.jpg

HouseHobbit
March 28th, 2010, 03:29
Bravo Ndicki,
it is a beautiful Bird.
I shall stive to do it Justice in my Mission efforts.
Thank You very Much.

:salute:

Led Zeppelin
March 28th, 2010, 10:06
yes yes yes!! :jump:

And do you also plan to release one with a d Day skin? 342 squadron mission was to hide the invasion fleet with smoke to protect the first wave.

I think there is something to do with the sky write at Griund Crew:
http://www.regshanger.com/Groundcrew/homepage/CFS3/aircraft/Hs123/Law-Whelan%20Hs%20123A.php

Or maybe Steve has something in the pipe for this?

ndicki
March 28th, 2010, 10:15
yes yes yes!! :jump:

And do you also plan to release one with a d Day skin? 342 squadron mission was to hide the invasion fleet with smoke to protect the first wave.

I think there is something to do with the sky write at Griund Crew:
http://www.regshanger.com/Groundcrew/homepage/CFS3/aircraft/Hs123/Law-Whelan%20Hs%20123A.php

Or maybe Steve has something in the pipe for this?

It's on the list of things to do very soon, don't worry!

FAFL342Pascal
March 28th, 2010, 17:07
Oh My GOD ! My aircraft !!!!!

(i have 5 books about FAFL342, if you want some photos ...)

ndicki
March 29th, 2010, 09:47
Do I want photos! YES! LOTS AND LOTS! PLEASE!

Well, good ones where you can see squadron codes, artwork, serial numbers, etc, etc. There are about two profiles out there and I don't like either of them... Photos of Blenheims in the desert as well, and Mitchells in April-May 1945 too, but they are far less urgent.

FAFL342Pascal
March 29th, 2010, 12:42
Ok ! here are some boston db7 mk111, mkiv
original scan about 1Mo each photo

FAFL342Pascal
March 29th, 2010, 12:46
some more

HouseHobbit
March 29th, 2010, 14:02
I have updated the first set of missions to include these new Bostons,
I shall be sending them to the testers today..

ndicki
March 30th, 2010, 08:18
Great stuff, Pascal, thanks! Any more info on "C" Ville de Cherbourg? Such as its serial number (without which I can't do a thing...) and clearer, unobstructed photos of the bomb tally, etc? Service dates? Interested!