PDA

View Full Version : Our family got smaller today

OBIO
March 24th, 2010, 17:26
Deb and I don't have children, but we have "fur and fin" kids....2 dogs, a cat, 3 fish tanks and, up until today, 2 ferrets. We put our ferrets up for adoption and they went to a new family today. We have been discussing this for a while and both agreed that it would be best for us to lighten our animal load, reduce our monthly expenses a bit and ensure that the ferrets are with a family that is more financially stable than we are at the present time. It really didn't cost much a month to care for the ferrets or require a mega-load of work...but every penny saved will be beneficial for us...and with Spring and Summer rolling around, I want us to be out and about a lot more than we have been the last two years. I have our fishing poles ready, the picknic coolers ready...and I have told Deb that we are not going to allow her disabilities to prevent us from living to the fullest that we can.

We had them listed on Craigslist and a local pet shop...$200 for the 2 ferrets, the top of the line cage (which sales for $250 to $275), food, litter, and all the fizzings....but had no responses. Today, Deb and I decided that we would give the ferrets and cage and stuff to the right family to ensure that the ferrets are looked after and to lighten our future expenditures. So, that is what we did. We were put in contact with a family looking to adopt some ferrets..a family that is financially stable and that has ferret experience. They came, they saw, they fell in love with Kitty and Ashley, and took them home.

We are both going to miss the little fuzz butts, their cute little noses, their shifty little eyes...but we know that we did the right thing for them and for us.

On the bright side....I now have that corner of my office/sim room opened up...so I can move my coat tree to that corner, pull my WW2 Navy Peacoat out of the closet and hang it on it, along with Deb's cousin's late husband's dress jacket and hat from when he was in the Army with the 4th Armor Division in Germany in the 60s. And I have more wall space to hang up reproduction WW2 era tin signs and maybe a few more reproduction tin gasoline signs.

OBIO

Willy
March 24th, 2010, 17:34
We did a similar deal with our last year's foal Chief. Neither Vickie and I are in the best of health and we really didn't need 3 horses. And Chief was going to need someone younger, faster and could bounce better to further his training. I'd taken him as far as I could. So I put him on Craigslist with the idea more of giving him to the right home. We found a young lady just across the state line in Kentucy that was looking for her future barrel horse that fell in love with him. He went home with her and is doing well.

I commend anyone that will look at things objectively and make the difficult decision to rehome a pet. I miss Chief, but I also know that if he'd have stayed here, he wouldn't become the horse that he'd need to be.

harleyman
March 24th, 2010, 18:24
Our problem is that we never can find a home for them..So we just keep it...lol

cheezyflier
March 24th, 2010, 19:16
I have told Deb that we are not going to allow her disabilities to prevent us from living to the fullest that we can.

:applause: one of the best decisions you could ever make imo. well, in the top 2 anyhow