PDA

View Full Version : Bad news turned good!

Rami
March 24th, 2010, 16:07
Hey guys,

Dirty and I are about 90 sure that my hard drive went kaput. The only thing that stinks is that I lost a few of the Beaufighter missions and modifications (including the Beaufighter airfiles) that I have been working on. So now, I'll have to see about getting a new drive and then restoring the OS yet again. :banghead:

I still have a 99.8% full backup of CFS2 on my Seagate and my laptop, so there is no problem with picking up where I left off. When I hear back from Kdriver and EC_ILO, I can still release DoA and the P-39 campaign, which are fully completed, but any new work is postponed indefinitely until I figure out what to do here.

I can still run CFS2 on my laptop and be in the forums, not to worry there.

p14u2nv
March 24th, 2010, 18:29
Rami what we did back years ago when a drive went down was to put the offending drive in the freezer for at least a day or so and get it cold. Place it inside two ziplock plastic bags and get the air out of each one. If you have a dessicant to remove moisture place that inside the inner bag. When you decide to reinstall the drive and without haste install it and restart the pc and when the drive comes on line start copying as fast as you can since there is no set limits as to how long it will last but I have managed to make total copies of 2 of 3 drives that have gone bad over the years...it worked back then and I'm sure it may well again so try it...what have you got to lose?

Hope it helps...

tonybones2112
March 24th, 2010, 19:43
Rami what we did back years ago when a drive went down was to put the offending drive in the freezer for at least a day or so and get it cold. Place it inside two ziplock plastic bags and get the air out of each one. If you have a dessicant to remove moisture place that inside the inner bag. When you decide to reinstall the drive and without haste install it and restart the pc and when the drive comes on line start copying as fast as you can since there is no set limits as to how long it will last but I have managed to make total copies of 2 of 3 drives that have gone bad over the years...it worked back then and I'm sure it may well again so try it...what have you got to lose?

Hope it helps...

I concur. I've only had 2 HD crashes in my life, but I've helped many others doing this trick. I don;t trust these external backup drives either, I've used these little flash drives from day one, and never lost a byte of information. I have one of the first PNY that ever came out from a decade or more ago, and it has given me more service than what I paid for it.

Bones

mariereid
March 25th, 2010, 04:02
Hey Boss, I tried to send ya the American Skins. I don't think you got them. I will hang on to the lists, till your back in business.:salute::ernae:

Sorry about the Beau, you did a lot of work on that.

kdriver
March 25th, 2010, 05:01
Andrew,

Do you want me to send you the Beaufighter missions which you originally sent to me?

Kevin

Dirtman
March 25th, 2010, 05:54
Just when you thought you'd seen everything ..... something new ALWAYS seems to come along!

I must admit it really looked like a dead h/d in Rami's box ... she wouldn't boot and upon further examination found there was no "C" drive present in the BIOS. The drive was physically running; but was cool to the touch (not operating) as it had been on for a few hours. A "dead-head" seemed the most likely cause.

3078 3077 3075

.... Then .... just as we were planning it's funeral:

Turns out the data cable plug had become loose at the hard-drive.
A bit of pressure & a reassuring "click" (followed by WinXP booting once again) seems to have solved the problem .... so everything is back to .... norbal??

....... 3074

The funny thing is that the PC was built almost 2 years ago .... it's taken that long for the plug to work loose to the point where it lost the electrical connection.

Go figure eh?

Rami
March 25th, 2010, 07:31
Hey guys,

I did not lose a scrap of data, and yes, everything is back 100% to normal. I did not lose any of the Beaufighter missions since my last backup (which includes Tunis, Malta, etc.) as well as the Beaufighter airfiles.

I also made sure to put together an Excel spreadsheet of all the file names thus far which have been sent to me, I still have not gotten the American skins yet, I don't think.

mariereid
March 25th, 2010, 07:47
Glad your up and running. I will try to send the American skins, again. Is it possible that the list is to large? There must be about 300 on that list.:salute: