PDA

View Full Version : Yaw Damper/Wing Leveler Question

LTCSZ
March 23rd, 2010, 13:18
Hi: I have two questions: Is a "yaw damper" and a "wing leveler" the same thing? And, is it possible to add one of these to the aircraft.cfg file so it is active in a particular plane? I assume the plane must have an autopilot to be able to add it...Hope the question is clear enough! Thanks for your help...

Steve

glennc
March 23rd, 2010, 13:28
Steve,

Basic answer - they are not the same thing. Yaw is the left/right axis associated with the rudder. A wing leveler works on the roll axis. Since I am a low and slow type of pilot, my yaw damper is my feet and wing leveler is in my hand. Someone else will have more knowledge of adding them to an airplane in FSX.

Glenn

peter12213
March 23rd, 2010, 15:08
Yes you must have an autopilot for a yaw damper and wing leveler!

TeaSea
March 23rd, 2010, 15:28
The wing leveler in the Cessna 182 I used to fly was more like a suggestion.....

fliger747
March 24th, 2010, 00:11
Yaw dampers are usually independent form an autopilot, at least in large aircraft. Swept wing jets particularly can have unplesant dutch roll attributes, which the yaw damper mostly tames. It also can compensate somewhat fro adverse yaw etc.

A wing leveler is a primitive autopilot feature, mostly useful for keeping the plane shiny side up, as when in single pilot IFR or at night you are rummaging around in your flight bag for that chart or approach plate...

T

roger-wilco-66
March 24th, 2010, 00:17
Steve, you might want to have a look at that :

http://www.mutleyshangar.com/downloads/FSX%20Keyboard%20Commands%20Pamphlet.pdf

in the autopilot section you see the key assignments for the yd / wl . The FSX autopilot and its sub-functions can be activated even in aircraft that don't have one. Just use the assigned keys. There is no need to alter cfg files.

Cheers,
Mark