PDA

View Full Version : 'Life'

Kiwikat
March 21st, 2010, 17:41
How many of you are watching it?

We've got it on Discovery HD right now. So far it is every bit as impressive as Planet Earth was! :jump:

Though I'm not a huge Oprah fan...

PRB
March 21st, 2010, 18:05
Yep. Pretty good. Just watched it. Ditto on Opra, but I can get past that.

Dain Arns
March 21st, 2010, 19:13
Bleah, the Komodo Dragon part was only thing that really creeped me out.
I know they are just animals doing their thing in nature.
But those things always seem just a little too sinister for me on what I've even seen on them do in the wild.

Love the toad that can fall off a mountain.
Cool what those Dolphins do, making a 'net'. Don't know if it's really hunting, or playing with their food LOL.

Oh and the Horned Toad playing dead to protect it's young.
I know I'm adding human emotions to an animal, but that snake really did look confused after that thing flipped over on its back and had it's little toes pointed skyward. :icon_lol:

Kiwikat
March 21st, 2010, 19:21
Love the toad that can fall off a mountain.

That was my favorite part!

stiz
March 22nd, 2010, 00:02
wait till you see the little lizard thing which can float on water! :)

deKoven
March 22nd, 2010, 04:45
Actually, I wasn't as impressed as I might have been. Planet Earth was very, very good. This was, I thought, sort of a mish mosh of stuff which jumped around too much to be cohesive. The photography was, as always, extra good. I specially liked the Capuchin monkeys busting nuts with the rocks. They've been doing it for so long on that same spot that there are now holes worn into the big outcrop.

:wiggle:

Kiwikat
March 22nd, 2010, 05:49
I think the excessive amount of commercials has to do with it jumping around a lot. IIRC, Planet Earth had limited interruptions. Evidently Target is too cheap to do that with this series... :173go1:

I mean for every 7 minutes of content, there was 3 minutes of commercials. That's a bit much, imho.

Drzook
March 22nd, 2010, 06:13
... I specially liked the Capuchin monkeys busting nuts with the rocks. They've been doing it for so long on that same spot that there are now holes worn into the big outcrop.

:wiggle:
What absolutely blew my socks off was the fact that they waited a week for the nuts to bake and further weaken the shell. That takes some serious thought. And apparently it takes some eight years for them to get that process downpat--kind of like an apprenticeship of some sort--how long is eight years in monkey years anyway?. I'm just rambling at this point but that was COOL.:monkies:

brad kaste
March 22nd, 2010, 06:28
Bleah, the Komodo Dragon part was only thing that really creeped me out.
I know they are just animals doing their thing in nature.
But those things always seem just a little too sinister for me on what I've even seen on them do in the wild.

I concur Dain. You can't hate them,...but it's sure hard to love a Komodo dragon. I always thought their highly toxic, bacteria filled saliva created the infection which eventually brings down the prey. Last night's show said their saliva carries venom,...which is news to me.
Infant and young Komodos know instinctively to climb trees,...otherwise their larger brothers and sisters will turn them into a feast. Definitely a dog eat dog world in Komododom.

Dain Arns
March 22nd, 2010, 07:26
I concur Dain. You can't hate them,...but it's sure hard to love a Komodo dragon. I always thought their highly toxic, bacteria filled saliva created the infection which eventually brings down the prey. Last night's show said their saliva carries venom,...which is news to me.
Infant and young Komodos know instinctively to climb trees,...otherwise their larger brothers and sisters will turn them into a feast. Definitely a dog eat dog world in Komododom.

Well good. I thought I was losing my mind last night, LOL.
That is what I always heard as well, get a bite and you got a serious infection.

But, did a little research this morning and found out some university scientists from Melbourne finished a study last year and discovered they also have venom sacks too.
So like they stated last night, initially their teeth leave a nasty serrated wound and the venom keeps blood from clotting, so they bleed out.
Infection from their nasty bacteria laden mouths is probably secondary and just helps things along.
So a bite from a Komodo is a double whammy indeed.

cheezyflier
March 22nd, 2010, 11:49
Yep. Pretty good. Just watched it. Ditto on Opra, but I can get past that.

http://i152.photobucket.com/albums/s180/cheezyridr/OPRAH.jpg

MaddogK
March 22nd, 2010, 13:41
Saw Planet Earth and am convinced it was the best I'd ever seen. No need to waste my time with Life.

OBIO
March 22nd, 2010, 13:46
When I first saw this post, I thought it was about the Eddie Murphy, Martin Lawrence movie of that name...which is freaking hilarious!

OBIO