PDA

View Full Version : How do you get the best out of FSX?

RobH
March 21st, 2010, 15:47
I have been looking a lot of folks pictures posted in here for a long time, and have many times just sit in awe how real looking many peoples pictures are. In many, the way the light reflects and the shadows hit the aircraft is amazing and so life-like. I know there are others that have posted incredible pics, but the two that come to mind are Nick C and Jankees. The pics they have been posting on the Warbirdsim P-51 are absolutely amazing!

I am curious if there is anything in particular that really brings out how incredible FSX can look. Is it the computer, scenery enhancements or a combination of both?

I look at the pictures I take, and I feel like I have taken several steps back in the simulation evolution, compared to the experience many people here are getting from their FSX. I am really wanting to get that same look, and just wondering what I need to get that.

I often get bored flying around in FSX, simply because I just don't 'feel like it's real', if you know what I mean.

Thanks,
Brian

MCDesigns
March 21st, 2010, 16:04
I hear ya on the unrealistic part. I hate seeing images of real flights and then comparison shots, it just never comes close. Probably why I am so into photoreal scenery. I take real flights and marvel at the world below me and then fire up FSX and I am totally let down.

As for screen shots, while great scenery as a backdrop plays a big part, another main part is composition. the right lighting angles, the detail in the aircraft, the zoom level of the camera, the weather, all these play a big part is great images. Do some research on photography, it will help in setting up your shots better.

Kiwikat
March 21st, 2010, 16:05
I can say when I moved from playing FSX on my laptop to my quad core gaming rig, there was an absolutely massive difference. It was like a whole different game (yes, its a game :salute:). Scenery and environment addons help too, but I think a powerful computer is most important if you want to get the best out of FSX.

At least that has been my experience! :ernae:

Nick C
March 21st, 2010, 16:10
HI Brian.

Firstly thank you for bringing my name up, it's very kind.

I can't speak for Jan, but I spend a long time taking each image you'll see posted. My sim is tweaked to hell to make it look good rather than run great. ;) That's not to say that on the odd occasion I actually use it to fly in, it doesn't look good and perform great, it does, but for the greater majority of my screenshots it's used as a tool.

I have several display pre-sets saved for various situations, some have the distance set to be in focus at a greater range, but with bloom and aircraft shadows turned off to save resources. Some have water turned down, bloom turned on and off, autogen and scenery turned up and down. Actually every project I work on has a custom display setting saved.

Today I took a few shots above some VFR scenery that has no Autogen, so with the additional resources I'm allowed because Autogen is not being drawn, I saved a display setting with clouds showing further in the distance, water at a higher resolution and textures being drawn further in the distance etc. Throw in some nice custom clouds and the sun at a nice angle, it's easy to find yourself flying in a nice environment.

Of course you need to tweak your hardware too, well that's a whole other ball game.

For immersion when flying though, I'm usually very bored in single player. The most fun I believe to be had is in Multiplayer, although obviously you may hold a different view. I find flying with friends results in the most enjoyable experience this sim can offer.

falcon409
March 21st, 2010, 16:24
RobH,
I assume that while you're impressed with the images that Nick and others display here of their sim-world, it isn't the photography angle you're interested in. What you want to know is, how do you go from what you're experiencing in your sim, to the world you see others enjoying.

It would help if you would post the specs for your system, so that we can see what you're working with and, within reason, give suggestions as to how you can boost your set up to get a more realistic FSX world.:salute:

txnetcop
March 21st, 2010, 17:43
Falcon the PC he is using is a Dell Vostro 400 which is very anemic to say the least: Here is his thread for upgrade

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/showthread.php/33509-Upgrade-help-please?p=379172#post379172

Ted
<input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">