View Full Version : Activesky evolution

jeansy
March 20th, 2010, 20:46
Has anyone tried this yet?

its supposed to be the latest and greatest

your views pls

Kiwikat
March 20th, 2010, 21:10
http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/showthread.php/32253-Active-Sky-Evolution-Released%21?highlight=

:ernae:

jeansy
March 20th, 2010, 21:16
http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/showthread.php/32253-Active-Sky-Evolution-Released%21?highlight=

:ernae:
thanks, i mustve missed it

Lionheart
March 20th, 2010, 21:38
I just purchased ActiveSky about a month ago. I dont think I have heard of Evolution. Is this an addon for it? (I guess I should check the link).

tigisfat
March 20th, 2010, 22:26
activesky has always been a sham

Piglet
March 20th, 2010, 22:27
Why?

Dain Arns
March 21st, 2010, 00:02
I just purchased ActiveSky about a month ago. I dont think I have heard of Evolution. Is this an addon for it? (I guess I should check the link).

It's the newest version Bill. If you have Active Sky Advanced, then you get to update to ASE for free.
I like it, I think its the best version yet. No complaints so far, seems pretty stable.
Has some new features, easier to use than ASA.

Info:

http://www2.hifisim.com/node/1044

FAC257
March 21st, 2010, 04:13
I agree it does seem to be the best version yet. The one thing I keep thinking I'm seeing is a better cloud density and layering depiction.

I had a minor adjustment getting used to the new red interface, but the more I use it, I'm starting to like it better than the old look. :)

FAC

roger-wilco-66
March 21st, 2010, 04:21
How does it compare to REX ?

FAC257
March 21st, 2010, 06:03
I'll try to answer that from a personal experience and view point. :)

I had ActiveSky6.5 as it transtioned from FS9 to FSX, then ASX and now ASE. I've never found anything that I don't like about the whole transition and ActiveSky family of products.

I also own REX2. I bought it to see if there was anything at all in it that backed up all the excitment that surrounded it. I worked with it for part of a day during some flights and promptly deleted it and went back to ASX by the end of the day.

Then about a week later, thinking I hadn't given REX2 a fair shake, I re-installed it and played around with it for another day or so. Once again after that, I let REX2 return all my default settings and then turned ASX back on and let it take back over all my weather needs.

I still have REX2 installed, but I don't use any parts of it at this time and now with the ASX upgrade to ASE, I have an even less desire to give REX2 another shot.

I haven't canned REX2 completely, that's why it's still on the system this time. :)

Personal opinion:
ASX/ASE - The GUI interfaces are more intuitive and functional. I also find that in most weather situations that I've flown in the ASX/ASE weather just looks more natural as to what I would expect. Overall ASX/ASE work and look like a favorite tool in my tool box. Reliable, simple to use and it gets the job done.

REX2 - The GUI interfaces are very clumbsy and some like the flight planner and weather view map are not very useful at all for the type of flying that I do. REX2 can make for some really good staged screenshots showing some really hi-rez clouds, but at other times the colors of the sky and reflected light off the aircraft don't look natural at all. I also noticed much more of a cookie cutter repetitive cloud pattern almost everywhere I looked in REX2. I'm pretty sure that some of the clouds that I was seeing were identical to other clouds that were in the area, they were just rotated in various directions to minimize the repetitive effect. I barely ever notice that with ASX/ASE. Overall REX2 seems to be more about eye candy than real functionality. That functionality may actually be there, and I'll go back one day to take another look when I feel like wading through all the eye-candy bloat it's hidden under.

FAC

MudMarine
March 21st, 2010, 06:15

I take it you've had activesky to be able to make such a judgement? If so give more detail before using a word like "sham". I don't find it to be a "sham" at all!!

I have evolution and I think its the best weather/cloud simulator I've had yet!!

Sham n. 1. Something false or empty purporting to be genuine. 2. One who assumes a false character. Not genuine; fake.

robcap
March 21st, 2010, 06:31
ASE is great, and a free update to ASA. I have no issues.
And I find they (Mr. Jim Skorna) give great support, on their forums and by e-mail.
Can't judge REX, since I don't own it.

Cheers, Rob

icycle
March 21st, 2010, 06:41
I've used it since day #1 of its release, and I have been very satisfied.

Is it the "real world"? - heck no. But it sure makes flying more appealing. I also use REX2 to set up the "theme", and let ASE manage it. Does not really impact FPS to a great degree either.

All in all, a good investment, for me.

Bill

Kiwikat
March 21st, 2010, 06:50

I don't know how anyone could make a statement like that.

It is FAR more accurate than the default real-world weather. The things it does for visibility graduation and fog and such are genius. I never use the REX weather because it is an absolute pain. I only use REX for textures these days. ASE is a breeze to use and customize. I also notice no FPS impact with it running, unlike previous versions of Active Sky.

On top of all that, they offered it as a free upgrade to previous customers! :applause:

warchild
March 21st, 2010, 14:01
Welll, i'm no expert on weather, but i normally fly out of the airport litterally in my own back yard which is KRDM.. Now, I've had several times where Rex2 has insisted on it being overcast and raining when in fact a quick gander out my window showed that it was sunny and at the worst, partly cloudy. I've never had that problem with either ASX or ASA. They seem to get the weather correct, i dont know how. However, you mix ASA's or ASX's weather with REX's clouds and now your talking something to drool about..

Dain Arns
March 21st, 2010, 14:35
Welll, i'm no expert on weather, but i normally fly out of the airport litterally in my own back yard which is KRDM.. Now, I've had several times where Rex2 has insisted on it being overcast and raining when in fact a quick gander out my window showed that it was sunny and at the worst, partly cloudy. I've never had that problem with either ASX or ASA. They seem to get the weather correct, i dont know how. However, you mix ASA's or ASX's weather with REX's clouds and now your talking something to drool about..

Since you have ASA, Pam, I'd really recommend picking up the free ASE upgrade then.
It really improved a lot of things from ASA.

Other thing for all, ASE also gets real-time Airmets and Sigmets for CONUS now.

warchild
March 21st, 2010, 14:59
well, see, my ASA was an upgrade from ASX.. I'm afraid that ASE wouldnt be free for me, and at this time, my finances prohibit me from spending too much on anything, including flight sim.. But its something i've wanted to do since its release, especially since i'm not only a terrible screenshot artist and need all the help i can get, but i also love the drama that a good weather generator can add to the experience.

jetstreamsky
March 21st, 2010, 15:11
Warchild, I think you're OK for an upgrade

From the HiFi website

All ASA customers can upgrade to ASE at no charge by visiting our support and downloads page (http://www2.hifisim.com/node/9). This offer is available for a limited time, so get your upgrade now!
Note that the free upgrade applies to ASA only, not previous products.

You have ASA, it doesn't exlude the path you have used to get ASA.

This Forum question supports this

http://www2.hifisim.com/node/1127

Lateral-G
March 21st, 2010, 15:54

That's a pretty sweeping statement with no facts to back it up with.

I've had AS since FS9 and have always liked it. I certainly don't feel it's a sham.

-G-

JSkorna
March 21st, 2010, 17:32
Hi Almost All,

Thanks for all the mostly positive feedback! Just let the one poster continue to be a :crybaby: and he will move on soon.

Also to the one poster who was wondering if he qualifies for the free upgrade: if you own a valid ASA key you can upgrade to ASE for free. It doesn't matter how you purchased the ASA key.

Thanks,

tigisfat
March 21st, 2010, 17:49
Okay then guys,

What does active sky really do?:kilroy:

I used it once and was kinda turned off. I felt like the turbulence/wake turbulence stuff was cheezy.

Bjoern
March 23rd, 2010, 10:35
I used it once and was kinda turned off. I felt like the turbulence/wake turbulence stuff was cheezy.

Yeah, wind shifting is awful, but that's more of a FSX-internal problem.

Other than that AS* is an essential tool for MSFS. Wouldn't want to fly without it.

6297J
March 23rd, 2010, 12:41
Okay then guys,

What does active sky really do?:kilroy:

You used it once and feel qualified to pronounce it a 'sham' in a public forum where some people might be innocently looking for a qualified and unbiased report.
Based on that one sentance I know now to skip over every future posting you ever make :icon_lol:

stansdds
March 24th, 2010, 02:13
I encounter massive buffeting problems with stock FSX real-world weather. I try to go to the Jeppessen weather site and look at their winds aloft data before flying, it makes for a much smoother ride when I know where to expect turbulence.

Rimshot
March 24th, 2010, 02:29
I used it once and was kinda turned off.

Oh, now I understand. How foolish of me not to see this product is a sham :salute: Thanks for setting me straight. I'm glad people like you are here to give the community their extensive views based on thorough use of a FSX addon. All those flights I made with satisfying ASX/ASA/ASE generated weather must have been a coincidence.
Excuse my cynicism, but comments like these really don't contribute much...

Milamber
March 24th, 2010, 05:55
well, see, my ASA was an upgrade from ASX.. I'm afraid that ASE wouldnt be free for me, and at this time, my finances prohibit me from spending too much on anything, including flight sim.. But its something i've wanted to do since its release, especially since i'm not only a terrible screenshot artist and need all the help i can get, but i also love the drama that a good weather generator can add to the experience.

I have the same upgrade path, but downloaded ASE and installed to a clean network PC. I was pleasantly surprised to discover that my ASA upgrade key worked on the [FULL] ASE install without the need for the other 2 keys.

Maurice.

Kiwikat
March 24th, 2010, 06:04
I have the same upgrade path, but downloaded ASE and installed to a clean network PC. I was pleasantly surprised to discover that my ASA upgrade key worked on the ASE install without the need for the other 2 keys.

Same here, worked like a charm! I don't know what I'd do without Active Sky.

tigisfat
March 24th, 2010, 10:37
Oh, now I understand. How foolish of me not to see this product is a sham :salute: Thanks for setting me straight. I'm glad people like you are here to give the community their extensive views based on thorough use of a FSX addon. All those flights I made with satisfying ASX/ASA/ASE generated weather must have been a coincidence.
Excuse my cynicism, but comments like these really don't contribute much...

......And neither did yours. I opened myself up to be convinced that it was a worthwhile product, and noone was able to bring anything to the table but negative comments.

tigisfat
March 24th, 2010, 10:38
You used it once and feel qualified to pronounce it a 'sham' in a public forum where some people might be innocently looking for a qualified and unbiased report.
Based on that one sentance I know now to skip over every future posting you ever make :icon_lol:

You don't have to use products you don't like full time for weeks before you're qualified to say you didn't like it.

As for ignoring my posts? have at it, Larry.

JSkorna
March 24th, 2010, 13:30
But you do need to use something more than once, which is what you said you did.

Your mind was made up a long time ago and there is no reason for anyone to convince you of anything.

In the past 2 days there have been posts pointing out things, but I think you have selective vision.

tigisfat
March 25th, 2010, 07:42
But you do need to use something more than once, which is what you said you did.

Your mind was made up a long time ago and there is no reason for anyone to convince you of anything.

In the past 2 days there have been posts pointing out things, but I think you have selective vision.

well, what does it do to make it so much better than default? How does the mechanism that makes wake turbulence happen work?

How do storm systems work in it?

JSkorna
March 25th, 2010, 11:55
Oh please now. Do you expect a technical white paper explaining how every system in AS is designed and works? If you like the program, use it. If you don't, then uninstall it and move on to bigger things. If I didn't know better, I would label you a troll.:rolleyes::rolleyes:

tigisfat
March 25th, 2010, 14:00
Do you expect a technical white paper explaining how every system in AS is designed and works?

I don't expect, I want. :wavey:

MCDesigns
March 25th, 2010, 15:51
I don't expect, I want. :wavey:

With all due respect tigisfat you are being completely unreasonable, both in your posts and expectations, I suggest you leave it alone and not push it further.

JSkorna
March 25th, 2010, 16:40
Thanks Michael!!

boxcar
March 25th, 2010, 16:58
Will happily second those thanks, Michael. My blood pressure is returning to normal.

Kiwikat
March 25th, 2010, 17:23
I'll try to answer Tig's question, though no white paper here either. I'm going to answer it subjectively, because that's how I am! :ernae:

Active Sky has always produced a much more believable environment than default weather. It has improved drastically from ASX to ASE. There are times when I am flying with ASE enabled and it looks exactly as it does outside my house. Meanwhile default weather produces results like it is on the other side of the world.

When it comes to storm systems, it still isn't exact like you might see on a real life radar, however if in real life the station is reporting thunderstorms, you'll most likely see thunderstorms. I've found the weather in ASE to be more accurate and more realistic than previous versions, and a million times better than default. Since switching to ASE, I've not been hit by any of those nasty wind shifts either. I find that the updrafts and turbulence feel much more realistic with the latest version too. That being said, I still have wake turbulence turned off because it is incredibly annoying in multiplayer.

Visually, it changes the way fog and visibility works (vs. default), making it look a whole lot better than the weird blanket effect that default FSX produces. I love the way it makes the sky and ground kind of blur together like it looks in real life, especially on hazy days.

I also have REX 2.0 but never use the weather options because it revolves around a flightplan. Active Sky lets you fly anywhere you want and it constantly updates without interrupting your FS. (though it does give you a jolt when it first initializes) Performance wise, ASE is better on FPS on my end than ASX was.

ASE weather and REX textures produce an environment second to none in FSX. Active Sky is like Track IR these days. If I don't have it or it isn't working, I won't fly. That's my non-white book, quick overview of ASE. :wavey:

boxcar
March 25th, 2010, 17:45
That is one of the best assesments of the prowess of ASE I've read yet, Kiwikat, thank you. Fair & to the point.

Jim- you've sold another one. :-) Another week or so when I have the funds, sir.

tigisfat
March 25th, 2010, 17:58
Thanks,

Kiwi. it's clear that you understood what i was asking for. I don't know much about these products and don't prefer to get my information from developer's homepages.

"I don't expect, I want" was my way of saying that I was politely asking, not demanding. I guess it came across wrong or something. I'm not quite sure how that could make one's blood pressure rise.

Thanks again, Kiwikat.

Could anyone post screenshots of how fog looks in the newest version? maybe haze too? thanks.

JohnC
March 25th, 2010, 18:21
ASE weather and REX textures produce an environment second to none in FSX.

I'll second that statement :ernae:

jmig
March 25th, 2010, 19:01
I wish you guys would quit! I already have FEX and REX2. Now, you are making me want to buy ASE.

This is not fair!

:jump:

Kiwikat
March 25th, 2010, 19:13
This is not fair!

You know you want to! :d

harleyman
March 25th, 2010, 19:51
I have also been giving it the once over..Sure would like to have it..but I really don't have the time to fly much anymore......

So i think its not cost effective...

plus 2 1/2 years ago or so when I first got AS6 for FS9..I think JSkorna was ready to hang me for my questions on how to use it..

I never was good at setting up and using software...

Then manuals just never get read...lol

Lionheart
March 25th, 2010, 19:52
How on earth do you find these freaking wierd avitars? are they sent to you from a hidden source? I want to know...

Kiwikat
March 25th, 2010, 19:58
How on earth do you find these freaking wierd avitars? are they sent to you from a hidden source? I want to know...

Weird avatars!? It's Kash, the money you could save by switching to Geico! :salute:

And my title comes from TROGDOR! TROGDOOOOOOOOR! (youtube trogdor if you have to lol)

boxcar
March 25th, 2010, 20:05

I wish you guys would quit! I already have FEX and REX2. Now, you are making me want to buy ASE.

This is not fair!

Am hearing you, friend. Maybe we'd better call the wah-wah-wambulance http://www.clicksmilies.com/s1106/traurig/sad-smiley-046.gif because with hybriding FEX & REX2 as we both do we know it will be even better with ASE, albeit a thinner wallet. A rope of two strands is stronger, though a rope of three strands is not easily broken. http://www.clicksmilies.com/s1106/cool/cool-smiley-015.gif

Speaking of hybrid, am using my own FEX-designed cirrus & morning/evening sky textures with all else REXy. Can you just imagine using these all of these great textures with such a weather system as ASE? It'll hurt so good!

hey_moe
March 26th, 2010, 02:15
CLOSED