PDA

View Full Version : What's the status of the archive library?

Smashing Time
March 20th, 2010, 15:06
Almost a month now

Dangerousdave26
March 20th, 2010, 15:37
The files that are not there are missing and will be replaced one file at a time as we figure out which ones they are.

Only a couple of people have the files (luckey them) so its more than a slow process.

Right now there is an ongoing effort by a few members to isolate which files are missing. This of course takes a lot of time because there is no rhyme or reason to what is missing.

Expect this to take awhile as there are only a few people working on it.

Smashing Time
March 20th, 2010, 17:48
I don't get it. What do you mean files are missing? What happened to them? I thought you were backing things up after the all the other crashes. Did you not know what could happen before we were all promised a great new transformation with the donations for a new server and software?

Henry
March 20th, 2010, 19:14
I don't get it. What do you mean files are missing? What happened to them? I thought you were backing things up after the all the other crashes. Did you not know what could happen before we were all promised a great new transformation with the donations for a new server and software?
actually i believe there were a few missing a a couple of crashes ago
i guess you are not happy with the new transformation
jees it would have been a big loss if we lost everything
forums, posts, sorry if a few people who are still working 24-7
dont come up to your expectations and they dont get any donation money
sorry i respect your work but can you not respect others
H

Smashing Time
March 20th, 2010, 19:40
actually i believe there were a few missing a a couple of crashes ago
i guess you are not happy with the new transformation
jees it would have been a big loss if we lost everything
forums, posts, sorry if a few people who are still working 24-7
dont come up to your expectations and they dont get any donation money
sorry i respect your work but can you not respect others
H

Has nothing to do with respect for others. Just tell us what's going on. That's respect for the people that have contributed files for free to this site over the years. Whats the process? thats all. I asked through the 'contact us' process and never got a response.

harleyman
March 20th, 2010, 19:50
:jawdrop: Is this real? Hmmmmmm

Dangerousdave26
March 20th, 2010, 20:02
I don't get it. What do you mean files are missing?

That means the files are not on the server that is hosting the down loads.

What happened to them?

Some went missing in the weeks before upgrades (remember those database errors and crashes), some were likely lost when transferred to the new server but we can't prove that.

I thought you were backing things up after the all the other crashes.

Where do you think we are getting the files to place back on the server???

They are housed in an undisclosed location with really slow data connections.

Did you not know what could happen before we were all promised a great new transformation with the donations for a new server and software?

Yes with any upgrade or change in a server there is the possibility of a complete failure in the plans. For the most part every thing went well.

The work load is split as planned. The files are now stored on the SOH FC server as well as the the SOH server in addition to two off site locations.

So again all that needs to be done is have the missing files moved back on to the server. Which again requires a lot of time. Myself I have not had time to start FS or do anything FS Related since this upgrade started. I have filled my time with building a server, working on security measures, setting up FTP with the new version of IIS.

Right now I need to take time away from doing all this work so that I can complete some training for work. Once I complete that I have a scheduled visit from my wife that I only see every 3 months. You can bet I will not be working on anything related with SOH once she gets here.

After that you probably will not see much of me I will go back to working on this issue and I expect I will be working on it 30 to 40 hours a week. Of course that is in addition to my normal work which takes precedence.

You want to help, go through all the FSX downloads and write down the missing file names. Right now there are members doing this in the CFS2 and CFS3 section.

Sound good :salute:

ColoKent
March 20th, 2010, 20:10
...everytime I have ever tried to find ANYTHING in the archive, it's not worked since I don't generally know who the author is, and I certainly don't know what the filename is (which seems to be the two ways everything is organized). It's kind of like shopping for a car by tire size and/or fuel tank capacity-- neigh impossible.

I like to search by sim and aircraft (FSX and T-33, for example). Either you can't do this in the SOH archive (unlikely), or I haven't spent the time to figure it out (more likely). The files I have managed to see under the "new files" section appear to be great, however.

Kent

P.S. Think I'll spend some quality time exploring search options in the archive....

heywooood
March 20th, 2010, 20:10
and so the tea party asks for - and gets - tea bagged once again....:wavey:

For my part I will take this opportunity to thank the SOH website management and volunteers for their consistent and determined efforts to make this place the great resource and community base that it is -

you are the best Bar None

jankees
March 20th, 2010, 22:46
Well, if you need any of my paints, I (think I) have all of them on my harddisk still..

Smashing Time
March 21st, 2010, 06:09
Dangerousdave26
Thanks for the information. That was very helpful to understand what's involved. If some of this explanation was 'sticky' or a statement on the library page it would be useful for newcomers and old-timers alike. people. As time went on, I was afraid things were far worse.

I apologies to everyone for the tone of my questions, I had a bad day and overdid the adult beverages.
Thank you to all involved in the restoration.

:kilroy:

harleyman
March 21st, 2010, 07:37
Dangerousdave26
Thanks for the information. That was very helpful to understand what's involved. If some of this explanation was 'sticky' or a statement on the library page it would be useful for newcomers and old-timers alike. people. As time went on, I was afraid things were far worse.

I apologies to everyone for the tone of my questions, I had a bad day and overdid the adult beverages.
Thank you to all involved in the restoration.

:kilroy:

Heard that...We all have bad days,,hope yours has improved by now... Thanks for saying what had ya going...