PDA

View Full Version : It's a Victory...and it's Epic!

Roger
March 19th, 2010, 15:53
Lucky enough to be offered a pre-release copy to test, this latest offering from LHC is going to be a Blockbuster:jump:

Frame rates are very good on my system and it looks great...

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y203/rogera/ev-1.jpg

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y203/rogera/ev-2.jpg

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y203/rogera/ev-3.jpg

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y203/rogera/ev-4.jpg

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y203/rogera/ev-5.jpg

stovall
March 19th, 2010, 15:57
Beautiful Roger, simply beautiful!!! I envy you being a tester.

Roger
March 19th, 2010, 16:01
Beautiful Roger, simply beautiful!!! I envy you being a tester.

Tom, it's a gorgeous aircraft and yes I'm lucky to be a tester:wiggle:

krazycolin
March 19th, 2010, 16:22
I love the ipad....

CG_1976
March 19th, 2010, 16:27
Excellent and I have funds on standby.:jump:

Ken Stallings
March 19th, 2010, 17:31
Bill,

I am curious. In your research on this virtual aircraft, what did you learn with regard to the location of the nacelle intake what did Epic say about concern for a compressor stall while in high alpha?

Cheers,

Ken

Lionheart
March 19th, 2010, 17:37
Hey Ken,

I didnt ask.

On a side note, I see many aircraft doing this. The Cirrus jet, the Boeing Bird of Prey concept fighter, the concept stealth thing that looks like a flying sub, for a few. I guess if they arent pulling 6 g's, they should be safe, I would think, at least on an executive jet. Dont want to spill those drinks in the back.

I heard once that an airliner, cruising at 40,000 feet, had a sudden dual engine flameout. They had intercepted a high speed 'oddity' jet stream that actually pushed them so hard, it knocked the flame out of the combuster chamber of the turbines. They did a slight dive and got the turbines restarted.

So I think any turbine 'could' be susceptible to a compressor stall even from behind. But again, I am not an engineer. Just a humble polybender recreating planes for FS.

Great pics Roger!

I wonder why the overhead carbon fiber cieling panel turned out milky looking? It should be shiny and very dark black.

Bill

pilottj
March 19th, 2010, 17:57
Looking like a real winner Bill :D Tho I am kinda hooked on the LT's great short takeoff and landing capabilities as well as its long legs but this Victory sure looks slick. lol i would wonder taking it off in the rain like that worrying about the rain getting sucked into that intake and causing a flameout hehe but i gues thats why you turn your ignitors on on takeoff lol. I think the ceiling looks fine, almost looks like a dark grey cloth material, seems like that would make for good sound dampening.

Cheers
TJ

Lionheart
March 19th, 2010, 18:48
Hey TJ,

Roger that. :d

The overhead thing is like a surfboard sort of panel, made of shiny Carbon Fiber that has a glass like plastic finish on it. Its not supposed to look like fabric. At first, I dialed in too much reflection and it got all crazy looking with birzzaro reflections, so I changed the material settings for something alot different.

Its a shame that you cant see the carbon fiber cloth like texture in the nose and engine compartments. I was really proud of that. Really clear in Gmax, but in FSX, its almost invisible.

The Epic LT is HUGE compared to the Victory. It dwarfs the little bird. Did you know the LT can fly faster then the Victory? The wings are a slower design and can only take 320 to 340 Knots. The Epic is cleared for 350 knots and have been able to break 500 knots 'actual'. The LT is a very powerful plane.

EDIT: Sorry, I selected almost identical screenshots of the match. I cant delete one.

Bill

pilottj
March 19th, 2010, 19:24
lol yeah looks like the LT needs that prop clearence, thus needs some long legs. I agree its hard to really show the proper 'shine' of a particular material. That was going to be my only 'gripe' about the LT was in some lighting the seats had kind of a shinier 'viynl' look as compared to maybe a duller reflection of leather...will just say you put a lot of Armor-All on the seats :d. Sometimes my leather miata seats get that very shiny vinyl look if i really polish them. I don't do that much cause I end up sliding all over the seat when I drive LOL. But the seat 'shine' is splitting hairs lol, the LT is an outstanding and wonderful airplane and it looks like the Victory will be a very worthy sibling :) I hope you are eventualy able to apply any G1000 system enhancments youve developed for the Victory to the LT and Kodiak.

I can see how the LT would be a faster aircraft, lots of power, very light. I read about that Epic 500 club, sort of a play on the Eclipse 500, but really it is Epic owners who have pushed 500kts groundspeed in their LTs.

You know somthing that would be really cool if you can swing it is to somehow link the onboard 'satellite radio' to play streaming radio via a text file that you could plug in the stream URLs or pls files. Have room for say a dozen or so and be able to use the change station switch to cycle through your selection like it currently does for the wav files. Tho you would probably have to have it play via your default media player. Oh well, looking foward to the Victory :D

Cheers
TJ

warchild
March 19th, 2010, 21:18
With that high T tail, i think i'd worry more about Hi AOA stalls before id worry about flameouts..

Bill, i know you proably wont know this as no one can read minds, but looking at the overall design of the fuselage, it seems to me that at least the fuselage design is an advancement of the starship design, only with more conventional empenage and tail.

Sundog
March 19th, 2010, 21:19
Bill,

I am curious. In your research on this virtual aircraft, what did you learn with regard to the location of the nacelle intake what did Epic say about concern for a compressor stall while in high alpha?

Cheers,

Ken

Hi Ken,
I wouldn't expect these to be any worse than, say a 727, DC-10 or L-1011. However, I do have some military design studies for high alpha dorsal inlets and a Northrop PDF of one of their experiments regarding these inlets at high alpha for their VATOL design for the U.S. Navy.

Also, with the newer engine technology, the engines are much more tolerant of flow disturbances at the inlet. If you would like, I could ask the designer of the Victory how much of a concern it was, as he frequents a website I go to and I've spoken to him a few times online before. He's a really nice guy.

harleyman
March 20th, 2010, 02:12
Great Shots...Beautiful Bird..

I too was lucky enough to get to test his kodiak..

i am a horrible tester

At best I sucked...lol

Bill...NO NO NO

i am buying this bad boy...... What a sleek design she has....

Dain Arns
March 20th, 2010, 03:12
Looks like an instant classic, Bill! :applause:
Congrats on a job well done! :salute:

Nick C
March 20th, 2010, 03:47
Can I add to the building hype? :wavey:

Ferry_vO
March 20th, 2010, 03:58
Nice paints, I like that black one a lot! Shame it will probably never happen in real life.

:)

Lionheart
March 20th, 2010, 04:26
Nice paints, I like that black one a lot! Shame it will probably never happen in real life.

:)

Gotta be faithful Ferry. Gotta be faithful.

:d

Lionheart
March 20th, 2010, 04:27
If you would like, I could ask the designer of the Victory how much of a concern it was, as he frequents a website I go to and I've spoken to him a few times online before. He's a really nice guy.

Hey SunDog,

Sounds like you know Luc. Awesome guy. I hope to get with him more on some designs.

Where does he hang out at? Tell him to get over here...

Lionheart
March 20th, 2010, 04:30
With that high T tail, i think i'd worry more about Hi AOA stalls before id worry about flameouts..

Bill, i know you proably wont know this as no one can read minds, but looking at the overall design of the fuselage, it seems to me that at least the fuselage design is an advancement of the starship design, only with more conventional empenage and tail.

Hey WarChild,

I dont know about the StarShip. I do know that I still cant get enough of the design. I still blank out and sit stairing at the nose, the curve that goes from the nose over the perspex, the Formula One scoop, the rake of the wings, the front low angle 3/4 view when in flight...

I have had to wash alot of shirts from uncontrolled druel.

They did an awesome job designing this plane. I hope its back into production soon.

Nick C.

Great screenshots Sir. Thanks for doing the photo shoot on the Victory.

For all of you developers, this is the guy for screenshots of your new release. His shots are amazing. Resolution, angles, lighting, everything. He is also a real world photographer, so that helps him to set up a good background and all.

Bill

WF442
March 20th, 2010, 04:59
Enough with the screenshots! Why don`t you post the "released" thread in stead. This is probably the sweetest looking plane out there and I can`t wait to take her up for a trip around PNW. (after she gets out of the paint booth though)

regards
Bjørn E.

Ken Stallings
March 20th, 2010, 05:22
Hi Ken,
I wouldn't expect these to be any worse than, say a 727, DC-10 or L-1011. However, I do have some military design studies for high alpha dorsal inlets and a Northrop PDF of one of their experiments regarding these inlets at high alpha for their VATOL design for the U.S. Navy.

Also, with the newer engine technology, the engines are much more tolerant of flow disturbances at the inlet. If you would like, I could ask the designer of the Victory how much of a concern it was, as he frequents a website I go to and I've spoken to him a few times online before. He's a really nice guy.

If you could, that would be great. It's just a curiosity.

Thanks,

Ken

gigabyte
March 20th, 2010, 06:15
+ was fortunate to get a chance to test this beauty myself, and it is AMAZING, I normally don't care for jets especially smaller one, but this thing ROCKS! I am blown away by the Glass Panel and the MFD's features are awsome. The other amazing thing for me is I got better Fream rates with the Epic than I get with the stock MS Mooney, my system is showing it's age and I am luck to get 20 FPS around Edwards with high detail settings, check the two screen shots, mid 30's and 49+ FPS, this is a MUST have for GIG.

Exceptional Job Bill, I wish I had even a little time and talent to do something like this!

Nick C
March 20th, 2010, 06:30
Enough with the screenshots! Why don`t you post the "released" thread in stead. This is probably the sweetest looking plane out there and I can`t wait to take her up for a trip around PNW. (after she gets out of the paint booth though)

regards
Bjørn E.

Impatient sod.

Just in case anybody is wondering, she can get in and out of Starks Twin Oaks with little effort. :jump:

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/images/misc/pencil.png

Sundog
March 20th, 2010, 08:47
Hey SunDog,

Sounds like you know Luc. Awesome guy. I hope to get with him more on some designs.

Where does he hang out at? Tell him to get over here...

Yeah, I'll see if he'll answer some questions here. I first met him online when he was developing the jets for Safire and offered the excellent 1/48 scale drawing of the MiG-31 he got from the MiG designers at Paris. Talk about an accurate drawing! I meant to model it for FS, but I have other planes I'm trying to get through right now. I wish I wasn't so damn slow at it, though.

Roger
March 20th, 2010, 09:02
Sir Rupert Ponsonby-Smythe's private aircraft???

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y203/rogera/ev-7.jpg

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y203/rogera/ev-6.jpg

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y203/rogera/ev-8.jpg

Ken Stallings
March 20th, 2010, 09:27
It really is an exceptionally clean design which Bill did an exceptional job virtually recreating.

Sometimes you can just look at an aircraft and tell it has good flying characteristics. This Epic appears that way to me. If the nacelle doesn't promote flameouts, then I believe if this design can reach the marketplace it will do very well, indeed.

Ken

LucVB
March 20th, 2010, 09:55
Hi Guys :wavey:

Sundog invited me to chime in, so here I am.

Bill did an amazing job on this model, I know as I have flown it a bit in FSX for him.

Regarding the questions on inlet airflow distortion at high AoA, and potential deep stall at high AoA these are excellent questions and the simple answer is, don't do it.

This is an experimental aircraft so if it wants to behave badly in stall, it can. And I think it will.

If the Victory goes through the FAR23 certification process, and I hope that will happen one day, then ventral fins are guaranteed to appear, and most likely a stick pusher too.

For the inlet airflow distortion at very high AoA, the engine can handle a fair amount and at worst the stick pusher can be involved in the risk mitigation considerations. There is no simple solution for a single jet. The ideal would be a nose inlet like some fighter aircraft, but that is not an option in an aircraft like this. So you are left with side inlets or a single dorsal inlet, both solutions have their own merits and issues. The dorsal inlet is easier to deal with for anti-icing and is lighter and quieter, and there is more engineering/certification experience gained from three engine layouts like the Falcons. The side inlets are known to work better at high AoA based on experience with military trainer aircraft.

Luc

Ken Stallings
March 20th, 2010, 11:29
Luc,

Very much appreciate you taking the time to join here and provide what is a very honest and logical answer. Using an Air Data Computer with integrated AoA vane is a common practice now to prevent an aircraft exceeding a critical AoA. I am sure you folks have studied the merits of that option. I know the B-2 used the painful lessons learned from the original Flying Wing and the aircraft simply will not allow the pilot to stall it! Perhaps as the costs of these advanced avionics have come down, this is an option that allows previously risky design options such as this one which allows for undeniable benefits.

Of course, FAA certification is always a bit of a guessing game. I know you cannot comment but the FAA's decision to add skin thickness to the Burt Rutan Starship really harmed that aircraft's performance and for reasons not borne out in reality. Point is when working the certification of this design to a normal category of aircraft, the FAA is a wildcard, unpredictable. Best of luck! I'd truly love to see this aircraft enter the certificated VLJ market.

Cheers,

Ken

Henry
March 20th, 2010, 11:55
Sir Rupert Ponsonby-Smythe's private aircraft???

that would be the Saint:salute:
ya didnt nick it did ya!
great aircraft
H

Lionheart
March 20th, 2010, 11:57
Hey Luc,

Welcome to the SOH.

:ernae:

Great to have you aboard.

Bill

cheezyflier
March 20th, 2010, 12:08
just did a shorty loop in southern florida. man1 i can hardly believe how slow this bird can do an approach! i never woulda thunk a jet could behave that way. a beautiful model, inside and out. thanks for another great value! i will be using this jet alot as i tour japan for my visit/reward quest :applause: