PDA

View Full Version : What are you paying for cable,internet,phone

hey_moe
November 7th, 2008, 22:58
Jes....We just had yet another rate hike for Cox. I have that so call bundle package. 161.82 For Internet,phone and cable TV. On the cable TV we just have the standard 200 channel, none of the movie channels or sports, I have the digital outlet upstairs,hi-def on the plasma and one DVR receiver and one standard receiver. The rest of the TV's have the 1-100 channels. You have to have a box to get the upper channels. I checked with Verizon and the package is just about 10.00 cheaper. When I called Cox they said if I commit to a 12 month contract they would knock off 22.80....????? I don't get it. Are you guys paying about the same.

OBIO
November 7th, 2008, 23:03
Prior to budget cuts, my cable, phone, internet through Time Warner was setting me back $145 per month....digital cable, DVR, digital phone with unlimited long distance, unlimited international calls to select nations, tons of phone features, 15 meg internet connection.

After budget cuts, the bill is now $85 a month and the internet is cut back to the base 768K connection...which seems so very slow!

OBIO

lefty
November 7th, 2008, 23:09
Unlimited 8Mb broadband, unlimited national phone calls, line rental - £23.49 p.m. = $36.75

Full Sky HD TV package with all channels is around £55 a month,=$86

greycap.raf
November 7th, 2008, 23:35
Monthly payments... 28,90€ for my 1M/512k ADSL internet, 5,99€ for my phone (I don't talk all that much :d) and 38,90€ for more TV channels than I need. All in all 74€, about $95.

Francois
November 8th, 2008, 00:04
So Glad I don't live in the US then !! :costumes:

Monthly Internet, 12 Mbit, 43 Euros. Phone (4 lines) 24 Euros.

David_L6
November 8th, 2008, 01:28
CMA Communications: $83.95 + tax for cable TV (no premium channels, no "box") and internet. Still have phone through Bell South @ ~$60 / month.

wombat666
November 8th, 2008, 01:53
'Netspace'-ADSL and all phones, A$69.95 per month.
'Optus'-Cable, A$59.95 per month, 'mixed channel' package, no point in having everything when half of the programs are of no interest.
No fixed contract periods on either services.
And no increases for at least 3 years ...............................:applause:
We do have some great choices if one shops around, as the market is so competitive.
:d

Brian_Gladden
November 8th, 2008, 02:51
$170 a month Cable (Charter) All movie channels and two boxes one of which is a DVR. Internet 100 mbit. Phone is separate through Vonage over the cable modem. $29. All the bells a whistles, unlimited US and Canada long distance, caller ID voicemail etc.

Basic phone around here without long distance, caller ID or anything besides a dial tone is over $60.

Brian

Dain Arns
November 8th, 2008, 04:44
Internet alone, about $60. Only game in town, really, so they charge through the nose. Other places it's half that around here. 1.5Mbit though, love it.

If I had all the other cable packages it'd be well over $120. I get digital TV signal now, happy with that. I don't watch TV much anymore, and it is usually something on DVD if I do.

Buddha13
November 8th, 2008, 04:54
Hi all,
Lefty do you get the full 8mb bandwidth.I have tIscali 8mb and the best I have had is 6mb.Usually runs at 2mb.But it is only £17.99.Got the full Sky package for £45.00.Have a land line but only pay the rental for that.I to do not make many phone calls(Evening and weekends are free on BT and I work through the day during the week).Except on my mobile,And then not that many.

Buddha13

Cloud9Gal
November 8th, 2008, 05:02
Hi Mike-

I have Dish Network for my satellite, I have Verizon for my Internet and my landline phone.

**Regular pricing: $69 for both my DSL and Landline phone ( DSL is $30) and $65 for Dish Network (gives me 250 channels + DVR services).

I made two phone calls last month: 1 to Dish Network and 1 to Verizon. We were out of contract for both so, I played that card along with the loyalty one. We have been with them for quite some time and I simply told them we were looking for a better deal at this time. Plus, I've had major issues with DSL- I'm waiting for their FIOS product to come out my way. :) Anyways, with that said here's my new pricing for the next 6 months:

Verizon: $37 since as a save attempt, they gave me DSL free for the next 6 months.
Dish Network: They are giving us a credit of $15 for the next 6 months, so new pricing there is $50.

So that's a saving of about $50 for the next 6 months. Not too bad! :) If you have the time, give those guys a call and see what they can do. Play the loyalty card as well..if you have been with them for a while and have never called to get credits, then I would certainly take the time to dial their toll-free number for customer service. Hopefully, you get someone who cares about your business. :mixedsmi:

Trans_23
November 8th, 2008, 05:19
Just my internet and cable with one digital cable box is $155 a month with Comcast. I get a boatload of channels but no premiums. Way too much money as far as I am concerned but there is no competitors in this big free market society.

rpjkw
November 8th, 2008, 05:38
CableOne total monthly $105 with no premiums, $60 of which is internet connection. I'm not sure about the phone, but I think Qwest gets us for about $50.

Bob

HundertzehnGustav
November 8th, 2008, 05:42
LOL i beat all of you

internet 20 for a 5 megs line
phone 20 for prepaid cards
TV nothing, for 45 channels the gf pays 100 per YEAR but since she doesnt understand german she watches the french and spanich channels...

total about 40 bucks a month for me.:d

stansdds
November 8th, 2008, 05:44
Comcast standard cable TV ($59/mo, going up to $62.50 next month) and internet which is wicked fast, but now has a 250 GB/mo limit ($42.95/mo). Phone is still through Verizon ($29/mo, no long distance).

cheezyflier
November 8th, 2008, 05:49
we pay $37/month for unlimited international calls and broadband internet access. we don't have television reception of any kind in our house. it blows me away what some of you guys spend to watch tv.
hey, if you got it like that, spend it on what you want, it just would never be the choice i would make. i wouldn't have cable if it was free, let alone pay somebody for it.

lifejogger
November 8th, 2008, 06:03
Suddenlink provides us with basic cable, internet service and phone service for $105 per month after taxes.

Lionheart
November 8th, 2008, 06:09
Man... I have the worst plan in the world... $247.00 for cable, HS internet, and one phone line; bundled from cox communications. One gigantic monthly payment....

:banghead:

HundertZehnGustav, you are a lucky or blessed person! Must be nice!!

:ernae:

Bill

lefty
November 8th, 2008, 06:12
Hi all,
Lefty do you get the full 8mb bandwidth

At most times it's around 6.2 -6.6 Don't know anyone who gets 8 !

Re your Sky package - is that HD ??

EgoR64
November 8th, 2008, 06:35
:wavey:

High Speed Internet and Cable - $89.00. Home Phone - $83.00 - Cell Phones $149.00 Family Plane includes 4 - Cell phones - teenager GPS location (LOL) Kids hate me for that. Unlimited texting, it is a good thing between my son and daughter over 1000 text messages a month, can imagine the conversation they are having texting, LOL - one time my son sent one to me, it went somethin like this - "Hey Doooode, I'm so Fackin bored " - Had a good laugh at dinner that night.

Many Cheers !!

GT182
November 8th, 2008, 06:48
Comcast standard cable TV ($59/mo, going up to $62.50 next month)

Just got our Comcast bill today. Went up $5.00 so tax goes up too. And to top it off, I see we're paying a Franchise fee of $.11. They sure know how to hit you for all they can get. :mad: Roadrunner never charge that up north.

With the economy the way it is, you'd think Comcast would hold off on rate hikes..... some people might make the switch to Dish because of it.

David, go with Vonage and save some money....... for other rate hikes. :costumes:

HundertzehnGustav
November 8th, 2008, 09:11
Man... I have the worst plan in the world... $247.00 for cable, HS internet, and one phone line; bundled from cox communications. One gigantic monthly payment....

:banghead:

HundertZehnGustav, you are a lucky or blessed person! Must be nice!!

:ernae:

Bill

dont be saying that...
it comes down to what you need, and being greedy helps a lot.
if i can give you some generic advice, ask yourself from timeto time:

what do i NEED?
do we need a 15 megabit line or will a 5 megabit line do?
do i need internet at all?

what, (of the things i think i need) do i USE?
do i use that 15 megabit line to view my emails once a day?

what is REDUNDANT?
when you are using the internet to be here, you are wasting away money on your television and phone line service
(ok, you got only one line, so...:wiggle:)

That is my secret.
being on a minimum wage helps establsih such guidelines a lot.:d
Now its different if you have 7 kids and a wife...:icon_lol:

rayrey10
November 8th, 2008, 09:58
Like a few people mentioned, the best thing to do is call and see what deals they'll offer you. The ol' lady does it a couple times a year...she'll call the cable, phone and cell phone to see if they have something better. Like my cable bill was cut by $40 for 9 months just for adding HBO. I added a premium channel and they gave us a discount. Who'd of thunk it?:costumes: Or she called Verizon and they gave us an extra 300 minutes to use over a 6 months period. It's worth a shot, especially in this economy.

& Co.
November 8th, 2008, 12:41
Can't believe how expensive it is in the USA. Internet (DSL 20+ MB), phone (unlimited nationwide, unlimited international to +/- 70 countries), cable TV, 29.90 euros/month - about 35 USD today's rate.

MCDesigns
November 8th, 2008, 13:00
we pay $37/month for unlimited international calls and broadband internet access. we don't have television reception of any kind in our house. it blows me away what some of you guys spend to watch tv.
hey, if you got it like that, spend it on what you want, it just would never be the choice i would make. i wouldn't have cable if it was free, let alone pay somebody for it.

I used to never watch TV, only DVD/VHS occasionally. Then my GF bought me a few TV show seasons and I got hooked on Battlestar Galactica, One Tree Hill and Smallville and HAD to get cable them, LOL. I pay around $100 for cable, DSL and basic phone (work pays for my cell, which I can do without)

I just got a 37 inch Sony widescreen LCD to replace my old RCA 30 in tube TV and man, what a difference, I like watching TV now, LOL

Axenti
November 8th, 2008, 13:45
here in belguim i pay for the telephone and internet and telvision about 145 euros in one month very expencife around her and we have data limit on the internet to so i have to take a conection with a big data amount

Navy Chief
November 8th, 2008, 15:31
We have cable dsl and land line phone at $83 per month. Also have Internet phone with Packet 8; that is another $26 per month.

Lastly, DISH costs us $78 a month.

Boy, entertainment sure does cost a bunch.

NC

Ferry_vO
November 8th, 2008, 16:03
About $90 total for an 8 mb cable internet connection without a data limit, digital TV with 150 or so channels and a mobile phone.

:)

N2056
November 8th, 2008, 16:14
Just got the Cox bill today...$92

That is basic cable (and I mean basic - broadcast channels and a few extras), non-digital phone, and the internet (mid premium service, $42). The extra TV channels are not worth the added cost to us, as we would only really watch a few of them :d

We get movies from the local library. They have fairly recent shows along with many classics, and you can't beat the price :applause:

azflyboy
November 8th, 2008, 22:58
I pay about $100/mo for digital cable, internet, and phone (with unlimited long distance), plus $16.99/mo for Netflix, which isn't that bad compared to what Comcast and Cox charge.

Buddha13
November 9th, 2008, 03:18
Hi Lefty.
No that is standard definition.But I do have everything.Films,Sport,Documentary channels etc.

Buddha13

Snuffy
November 9th, 2008, 06:25
Hell, I don't know ...

The bills come in with a monthly balance due on them, (I'm always on time with my bills, never late so late charges don't usually apply,) ... I pay em ... as long as I have money left over, I'm good.

Cratermaker
November 9th, 2008, 07:00
Well part of the issue in the USA is that we have a LOT of area to "wire up". Look at a globe and compare the land area to other countries. This is also the reason other parts of the world have faster cell phone data networks sooner than we do. We definitely have the technology, but it costs SO much more to upgrade the entire system because it is so much bigger!

Oh and the cable companies are greedy SOBs here too. :mixedsmi:

modelr
November 9th, 2008, 11:07
$77 for landline and 10MB DSL from Iowa Telecom, $77 for cellphone, which I need for work, (they tell us to put down couple extra hours a week to pay for it,) tv free right now. Will soon be paying $50 for DishNetwork thru phone company.

CG_1976
November 9th, 2008, 12:53
Just got our Comcast bill today. Went up $5.00 so tax goes up too. And to top it off, I see we're paying a Franchise fee of $.11. They sure know how to hit you for all they can get. :mad: Roadrunner never charge that up north.

With the economy the way it is, you'd think Comcast would hold off on rate hikes..... some people might make the switch to Dish because of it.

David, go with Vonage and save some money....... for other rate hikes. :costumes:

Roadrunner here in WI with there bundled service nails you easily 175.00 month. I get a better deal off direct TV and netnet ADSL 75.00/month.

middle
November 9th, 2008, 13:53
We have Suddenlink here and the computer feed costs me 40 bucks per and the tv costs about 50 so tv and computer costs around 100 bucks a minth with tax....however, where we live, Sudden link is about the only cable Internet provider.

hey_moe
November 9th, 2008, 15:11
Kinda of nice to see all the different prices. Verizon has been bugging me to come back with them but they don't have there new TV service here. It is more. I found out that if I go back to Verizon with satellite TV it would only be a few dollars cheaper. Cox said if I would agree to sign a one year contract they would knock off twenty two bucks and some change. I am thinking of going that direction and turning in the downstairs receiver because we don't really watch TV downstairs anyway. The only thing I hate about cable TV is ya have to have there boxes to get the TV guide and the channels above 100. You also have to have a digital outlet to get HD. On Direct TV all that is free and you also get a TV guide on all TV's set and HD is also free.

ckissling
November 9th, 2008, 15:30
Internet-$13.99 per month=dial-up(wet paint drys faster) Phone $8.68 per
month without any L/D calls(low income old farts discount) TV-Rabbit ears, one channel -NBC on for 45min a day -unless I start to vomit.
ckissling

jankees
November 9th, 2008, 21:36
I'm probably the luckiest one:
Phone, mobile phone and internet: all free, paid by my employer. My wife has a mobile for €20/month and I pay €10/month for the connection, that's it.
I actually cancelled cable a year ago, but it just keeps coming...

cheezyflier
November 10th, 2008, 05:20
I used to never watch TV, only DVD/VHS occasionally. Then my GF bought me a few TV show seasons and I got hooked on Battlestar Galactica, One Tree Hill and Smallville and HAD to get cable them, LOL. I pay around $100 for cable, DSL and basic phone (work pays for my cell, which I can do without)

I just got a 37 inch Sony widescreen LCD to replace my old RCA 30 in tube TV and man, what a difference, I like watching TV now, LOL

i have seen those shows. smallville was ok in the beginning, and i liked the old battlestar with lorne greene back in the day (waaaayyyy back lol)
when i did used to watch tv, it was because i was confined to the house alot for health reasons, and i was into buffy the vampire slayer, angel,
cleopatra 2525, hercules, xena, (because of renee oconnor)
and briscoe county jr.

Cazzie
November 10th, 2008, 06:37
DirectTV for my TV (they lowered the price opf the sport's package; about all I watch anyhow, to $2.00) and we pay $59.95 for that. Internet is through the nose because cable is the only fast way in town. But we have three desktops, one X-Box, and a remote wireless laptop that accesses the tube at any time. Anyhow, we're paying $70.0/month there. So for both that's $129.95/month. Very reasonable when I see what LH is paying. :isadizzy: And I could never use Verizon, my M-I-L does, hate it. And I'd do without the Internet should I be forced back on dial-up.

We're suppposed to be getting fiber optics cable in the future, not from Comcast either. The City of Danville, Averette College, and danville Community College already have it. It's fast as lightening. Don't know if it'll comes this far out into the boonies though.

Caz