PDA

View Full Version : [FX] Looking for HUGE smoke clouds

SdC Redux
March 19th, 2010, 02:03
I'm looking for HUGE smoke clouds, large enough to -for instance- fill a fjord a certain German battleship may be hiding in.
I've had some results with adding a cloud layer low down in the mission, but that effects the whole region, not just the fjord.
Any ideas?

leroy10
March 19th, 2010, 04:16
Hi SdC Redux,
You could edit an effect that covers the ship but I'm not sure to what extremes you could go to cover a Fjord. Is there a limit on area an effect can cover would be the only obstacle I can foresee.

Cheers :ernae:
Lindsay

SdC Redux
March 19th, 2010, 04:21
Hi SdC Redux,
You could edit an effect that covers the ship but I'm not sure to what extremes you could go to cover a Fjord. Is there a limit on area an effect can cover would be the only obstacle I can foresee.

Cheers :ernae:
Lindsay

I'm sure FX are bound to the same size limits as Objects (about 1km?) so I'm sure we'd have to do it with multiple smoke clouds. I was just wondering if there was already something along those lines available; don't really have the time/motivation to learn how to do fx as well.

sc7500
March 19th, 2010, 10:33
I use FX_Volcano for a LOT of my heavy smoke needs... if you were to place this along the banks of a fjord in multiple locations, and set a wind in place that would put a roil to the atmosphere..... Instant smokescreen ?

SC
:kilroy:

Jagdflieger
March 19th, 2010, 19:00
I was going to suggest Nibbio's volcano smoke too as a solution. Unfortunately, its smoke goes straight up and I don't think any of the smoke efects in CFS 2 are affected by wind. They just go straight up no matter what.

Here is the volcano effect in action when triggered as part of the old Battle of th Bismarck Sea. By the way, I think I included the effect in the campaign of that name. It should be here in the archives.

sc7500
March 20th, 2010, 11:15
Dang it !!!

I shoulda double-checked the effect before I suggested it, Jag - you are correct !

I wonder how "they" get the engine start exhaust to blow backwards in the prop wake ?

Assuming we could figure THAT out, mayhaps we could mod up a blowing smoke effect...?

SC
:kilroy: