PDA

View Full Version : Capt Sim F-104

ijay
March 18th, 2010, 10:03
Just a couple of shots:salute:

peter12213
March 18th, 2010, 10:42
Did you get it working in acceleration ok? can you post the fixes and that new afterburner mod please?

Great shots too!:salute:

ijay
March 18th, 2010, 11:04
Did you get it working in acceleration ok? can you post the fixes and that new afterburner mod please?

Great shots too!:salute:
Followed this thread http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/showthread.php/21068-old-CS-F-104-in-FSX

ZIPPER010
March 18th, 2010, 11:04
Will you upload these repaints?:jump: you did a nice job on the panel-lines. Would love to have these in my hangar

Zipper

jinx
March 18th, 2010, 11:13
I wonder is this is a freewayremod of the Capt sim payware FS9 aircraft. Or is it a new Capt Sim payware mod for their FS9 product?

The Tiger F-104 was painted by Greek Air Force pilot Nikos Manousakis, now retired, who also painted the Olympus scheme for the same type before he retired. Nikos is a friend of mine and we meet for cofffee in Athens once or twice a week. He has been converted to FS flying recently and would certainly like to fly the Tiger F-104 that he first painted in real life. Nikos spends his time as an active painter now, doing paintings on comission for the Greek Air Force. He happens to be the only F-105 pilot who survived a spin in the history of the F-104 and is well known amongst Starfighter drivers in most European countries. I saw him last night and he was telling us stories about the type from his active years.

Both Tiger and Olympus schemes exist for the FS9 Captsim Starfighter, and I have installed both. Manousakis has given me and some other friends here advice on how to fly the type as per the real a/c. We have meetings for coffee each Monday evening usually, and all five of us there are called Nikos (Nick). I call them the 5-Nicks coffee sorties. One of the Nicks is a Luftwaffe fan and generally pro_German and we pull his left each time.

if ou want to come, come on a Monday evening at 8 pm at the Phaedra cafe on Fokionis Negri street in the center of Athens and meet all 5 Nicks. We leave the cafe just after 10 pm. Manuele Villa, of repaint fame, an Italian who lives in Athens, also joins us now and then. Villa is now doing 3D models that are excellent.
I may post some of his stories here soon, or in the appropriate forum section.:salute::jump:

Nick Tselepides, Athens, Greece

ijay
March 18th, 2010, 11:49
Will you upload these repaints?:jump: you did a nice job on the panel-lines. Would love to have these in my hangar

Zipper
Not my paints!
Both paints are at Flightsim.com search for Captain Sim F-104

ijay
March 18th, 2010, 11:50
I wonder is this is a freewayremod of the Capt sim payware FS9 aircraft. Or is it a new Capt Sim payware mod for their FS9 product?

The Tiger F-104 was painted by Greek Air Force pilot Nikos Manousakis, now retired, who also painted the Olympus scheme for the same type before he retired. Nikos is a friend of mine and we meet for cofffee in Athens once or twice a week. He has been converted to FS flying recently and would certainly like to fly the Tiger F-104 that he first painted in real life. Nikos spends his time as an active painter now, doing paintings on comission for the Greek Air Force. He happens to be the only F-105 pilot who survived a spin in the history of the F-104 and is well known amongst Starfighter drivers in most European countries. I saw him last night and he was telling us stories about the type from his active years.

Both Tiger and Olympus schemes exist for the FS9 Captsim Starfighter, and I have installed both. Manousakis has given me and some other friends here advice on how to fly the type as per the real a/c. We have meetings for coffee each Monday evening usually, and all five of us there are called Nikos (Nick). I call them the 5-Nicks coffee sorties. One of the Nicks is a Luftwaffe fan and generally pro_German and we pull his left each time.

if ou want to come, come on a Monday evening at 8 pm at the Phaedra cafe on Fokionis Negri street in the center of Athens and meet all 5 Nicks. We leave the cafe just after 10 pm. Manuele Villa, of repaint fame, an Italina who lives in Athens, also joins us now and then. Villa is now doing 3D models that are excellent.
I may post some of his stories here soon, or in the appropriate forum section.:salute::jump:

Nick Tselepides, Athens, Greece

Capt Sim payware ported to FSX see link in earlier post

jinx
March 18th, 2010, 17:36
Thanks ijay, I did have a look at the link and will try to port it over to fsx.

Nick Manousakis related this true story:

Once he had been tasked to take off at midnight from Araxos AB and fly with flares to the island of Lesvos, east-northeast of Araxos, near the Turkish coast, where they were both to illuminate a factory (the target) and fly back. He was wingman to the sqn commander, named Prevezanos--he later commanded the sqn himself.

They took off and arrived uneventfully over the target, dropped their flares and then turned around to fly back to base. Near Messolonghi, a short distance from the Araxos field, Nick's cockpit lights went out and he could not see the instruments. He checked and discovered he had a total electrical failure. He was worried as he was on the approach and seeing the instruments on landing is vital. He remembered he had a flashlight from the mechanic somewhere, so he found it and turned it on to see if it worked. It did. His radio was out also, so he could not talk to his leader who called him for the order to turn to land.
As he had to have both hands free for throttle and stick, he made hand signs to Prevezanos and used the light to show his hands, and made him understand through hand gestures that he had no lights. Then he put the flashlight into his mouth and by movements of the head started to light up the basic instruments he needed, altitude, speed, rpm, hsi, while both hands handled throttle and stick. With the damn thing sticking out of his mouth and unable to talk (he could only grunt) he flew the approach and final and landed in the dark on runway 36 safely but scarily-- the landing was agonizing, to say the least. Once the wheels touched the ground and the roll started he removed the flashlight from his mouth. He said that the flashlight was air force regulation size, about 25 cm in length, and heavy and called for strength to hold it in the mouth and move it from gauge to gauge for about 10 minutes.
Once out of the a/c he was able to explain his plight to the C.O. and he also handed back the flashlight to his mechanic with a thank you. It had saved him as landing without instruments in the F-104--a fast a/c on landing, could have been fatal.

The Starfighter was a dangerous a/c to fly and many pilots lost their lives doing it. I remember reading of many accidents with German Air Force a/c and my own nephew, Stavros Zogrpahos, was killed in one when he wingman came too close and he ran into the side of a mountain to avoid colliding with him. Stavros was younger than Manousakis, I believe, and a really good pilot and a nice young man.

"Ashes to ashes
and dust to dust
If women don't get you
then the Starfighter must".

You only need to fly the Capt Sim F-104 with hard settings and you will see what the poem means, I am sure.

May I also point out that the Greek Hellas Scenery Project team have two great addon sceneries for fs9, one for Araxos and one for Dekeleia AB (Tatoi) just outside Athens.
In the latter, you will find many nice static a/c, as it is portrays the Air Force Museum exhibits there as well. Amongst those are both the Tiger and Olympus F-104's and you can actually fly the flyable ones with the same scheme and park them next to the museum static ones, for fun. I also believe Mytilene (Lesvos) scenery is made by the same team, so you can fly the mission and turn off all lights and land at night at Araxos to see how it is and relive the experience in your own manner, with your own style of flying.
It could take about an hour and a half--out and back to Araxos.
If you do not like long flights, then take off from Athens Hellenikon LGAT and fly west and then land on runway 36 at Araxos in the dark. That should be 15 minutes at the most. Remember you have no radio, so ATC talk is not allowed. You could go a few steps further and disable some instruments or radio through the sim interface, for variety' s sake...

More stories soon.

Nick :jump::jump::wavey:

roger-wilco-66
March 19th, 2010, 00:06
Thanks for sharing these stories! I always loved the F104 and remember these flying around here (Germany) very well. In the 70ies and 80ies the sky was full of F104s, F86s, and F4s (sometimes even Mirages) here, and you had an "airshow" every day, even with breaking sound barriers etc. I even have the original Martin Baker GQ7 ejection seat (I kept it in the living room as a static display, but my wife eventually made me give it as a permanent loan to an airforce museum, oh well...at least it is pleasing the crowds now).

My flight instructor was a F104 pilot and also had a lot to tell about it. You should have seen how his eyes lit up when talked about his flights to the training area in Sicily...

I have the CS F104 floating around and remember that it didn't work right in FSX, so with this information I might give it another try.

Cheers,
Mark