PDA

View Full Version : Fun with science

PRB
March 17th, 2010, 18:41
So, with respect to the fuzzy dice, which is correct..? Why..? :)

AckAck
March 17th, 2010, 18:43
A) turn and slip indicator isn't slipping, so G's are vertical (relative to the aircraft).

Brian

(http://www.patricksaviation.com/videos/ipsckid/1591/)

Piglet
March 17th, 2010, 19:49
I could never fly with fuzzy testicles swinging in my face!
Plane Nutz?
P.S. Truck Nutz were the MOST STUPID thing I had ever seen!

Chacha
March 17th, 2010, 20:13
I say B...

The dice that hang inside the aircraft is slightly over to the left where the pull of gravity is indicated ... towards the ground...

While on picture A, the dice that hangs indicates that the pull of gravity is towards the position of the aircraft

Willy
March 17th, 2010, 20:20
Neither... A French airplane wouldn't have a set of fuzzy dice hanging in the cockpit.

tigisfat
March 17th, 2010, 20:22
I say B...

The dice that hang inside the aircraft is slightly over to the left where the pull of gravity is indicated ... towards the ground...

While on picture A, the dice that hangs indicates that the pull of gravity is towards the position of the aircraft

chacha,

depending on whether the aircraft is balanced, slipping or skidding, those dice could point anywhere, even straight up in negative g's.

I give you exhibit a: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tOZEgKXJMCE watch towards the end. Also notice his fuzzy ball hanging below the tea stand.

luckydog
March 17th, 2010, 21:24
(A)..................no question about it !

Wing_Z
March 17th, 2010, 22:48
It's a very old aircraft, which has been standing in the jungle.
The turn indicator fluid leaked out years ago, and the ball is rusted, dead centre.
This is its first flight, and the engine has failed while attempting a snap turn.
The plane has just somersaulted into its second -8g nose-down tumble, and the furry dice are captured as they swing wildly through a 360deg arc.
The pilot, meantime...

Dain Arns
March 18th, 2010, 00:17
Why not let Bob Hoover demonstrate for us....

uw2qPLEgKdQ

PRB
March 18th, 2010, 04:36
Those who said “A” are correct, of course. I only did this because there is a certain airplane out there in my FSX hangar, which will remain unidentified here because the plane is fantastic in all respects, in which the developer went to a lot of trouble to make microphone wires in the cockpit hang down at different angles, depending on what the plane is doing. It is a cool effect, but, they always point perpendicular to the Earth, like in image “B”, even in a coordinated turn. It doesn’t bother me though. Much… :icon_lol: