PDA

View Full Version : Internet Security Suite for FSX PCs

Wombat_VC
March 16th, 2010, 06:47
I am getting frustrated by the lack of user control for McAfee 2010. Any suggestions for its replacement? Obviously, I need something that is friendly to FSX under Win7-64.

Hanimichal
March 16th, 2010, 07:02
am user Kaspersky Internet Security in game mod (Win7-64)

stiz
March 16th, 2010, 07:04
Zone Alarm Security Suite works fine for me :)

Dangerousdave26
March 16th, 2010, 07:54
You do not need a complete suite all you need is a good anti virus software that will not kill your FPS.

NickN has suggested ESET nod32

The quote below is buried in this thread http://205.252.250.26/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1208959973/0

ALL USERS... www.eset.com (http://www.eset.com/) ONLY the AV, NOT the SECURITY SUITE

NOD32 only or there is NO way to tell if your security software is biting you in performance.

The firewall in Win7 gives you better protection than past windows firewalls. You can create inbound and outbound rules as needed which is all you need for firewall protection.

dswo
March 16th, 2010, 08:11
1. The internet firewall in current versions of Windows is all you need, esp. if you're behind a router.

2. "Microsoft Security Essentials" is free (not nag-ware), transparent (it just does its job), and light on system resources. Recommended by Aerosoft and others. I've been running it on my main machine for about six months.

Lewis-A2A
March 16th, 2010, 08:12
Nod32 is known as the games friendly AV.

I personally use AV Vir. The pop up you get doesnt bother me as the security is so good. Saved my butt many times so far

dswo
March 16th, 2010, 08:21
I personally use AV Vir. The pop up you get doesnt bother me as the security is so good. Saved my butt many times so far.

That's good too. If you're so inclined, you can also disable the pop-up: http://www.wikihow.com/Remove-the-Popup-Ads-in-Avira-Antivir.

Quixoticish
March 16th, 2010, 11:11
NOD32 for anti-virus. You don't need a full internet security package if you have common sense.

kilo delta
March 16th, 2010, 12:38
I'm running Kaspersky Internet Suite 2010 , Spybot Search and Destroy, Malwarebytes, Common Sense 1.0 and a router firewall on my Vista Ultimate 64bit systems and XP Pro SP3 notebooks................all have remained cleaner than a nun's conscience. I'd used nearly every other AV available over the years but have settled on the above as my personal favourites.:)

Milamber
March 16th, 2010, 12:45
KIS 2010 on all network clients.

M.

almccoyjr
March 16th, 2010, 12:50
Eset Nod32. I'm running W7 ULT_64 w/Nod32_64, and it'd the first a.v. program I haven't had to disable to ensure good gaming fps rates. I still stop it though along with a lot other MS, program processes out of habit.

plug_nickel (Al)

NoNewMessages
March 16th, 2010, 12:54
That's good too. If you're so inclined, you can also disable the pop-up: http://www.wikihow.com/Remove-the-Popup-Ads-in-Avira-Antivir.

The pop-up wasn't that great a bother. In fact, there were many days when I looked forward to getting the pop-up...

Unfortunately, I keep running into problems with my XP install, so I'm off to Best Buy to get a Win 7 upgrade package. I'll check out the Essentials package from Microsoft.

Overshoe
March 16th, 2010, 13:34
1. The internet firewall in current versions of Windows is all you need, esp. if you're behind a router.

2. "Microsoft Security Essentials" is free (not nag-ware), transparent (it just does its job), and light on system resources. Recommended by Aerosoft and others. I've been running it on my main machine for about six months.

I agree with David. MSSE and the Win 7 firewall works great here.

Moparmike
March 16th, 2010, 14:00
Ditto on the Windows firewall (Vista and 7) being adequate. I also use the free version of the SphinxSoftware Firewall Control Panel for it...which is just a easier to navigate GUI for the firewall. Makes it easier to set/block specific ports compared to digging around in the firewall's stock config dialogs.

Other goodies:
AVG anti-virus, MalwareBytes, hardware firewall.

Dexdoggy
March 16th, 2010, 15:51
On the recommendation and prompting of my friend (who is a programmer and IT technician) I also use Microsoft Security Essentials. Very easy to use; I like simplicity!

Bjoern
March 16th, 2010, 16:00
A router firewall and Avira's Antivir is all I need. Haven't had a serious, unwillingly caused virus infection in years.

harleyman
March 16th, 2010, 18:17
I use Pctools AntiVirus / Spyware ...never had a problem..it has a game mode But I've never used it nor needed it...

Wombat_VC
March 16th, 2010, 20:37
Thank you everyone for your suggestions. Looks like the NOD32 AV gets the most mentions, followed by the MSoft combos. Will look into them.