PDA

View Full Version : Another question about the blurries

WarHorse47
March 14th, 2010, 08:33
I've asked a similar question awhile back, but wanted to take another approach and get some expert advice. Hee goes. :salute:

I've got an older setup with 1 Mb ram and a 128 video card. I've got my FS9 install tweaked and get pretty good results with any aircraft except one.

I recently got the Flight1 Platius PC-12 and really like it. However, after a few minutes into any flight the terrain objects draw slow and the textures get really blurry. I have to reload the ground textures with a keyboard command just to get decent visuals back. There is no impact on framerates.

Someone had mentioned that the problem may be related to the gauges. Although the product has an option to run high vs. low resolution gauges, I've found not difference or improvement. :running:

I'm going to assume that the problem may be related to my memory and that the gauges are hogging memory away from the texture loads. Not sure, so that is where my question starts.

Although I've got my FS9 tweaked for decent visuals, is there some entry I should look at closer to resolve this problem? Does anyone else have this product and experienced similar issues?

Thanks in advance :ernae:

WarHorse47
March 15th, 2010, 05:46
:bump::bump::bump:

What?? Nobody got any comments??

--WH

Tom Clayton
March 15th, 2010, 12:16
It would seem that something is eating up resources. If changing to low-rez gauges doesn't help, it could still be gauge code operating in a loop. If the plane will still operate properly, you could try moving the panel folder to the desktop to see if that cures it. Just start with Ctrl+E, turn the generators on with Ctrl+Shift+G, then fly manually.

If you still get the blurries, then it's likely a texture issue, it which case the next step would be to convert the textures to DXT3.

WarHorse47
March 15th, 2010, 17:15
From what I know, the textures are al DXT3 so my guess is that the blurries are caused by the gauges. The only other thing I noticed was that the VC is sometimes slow to draw, but not a major issue.

And that raises a couple more related questions. :salute:

Is it possible for something else to affect resources as well. I'm no having issues with any other a/c, but I am having some issues with my recent change to Norton. I read where it tends to be a rescource hog.

Also, if the problem is the gauges, what might be the solution. What other gagues out there might I use for replacing the Flight1 ones??

Thanks

--WH

rich12545
March 16th, 2010, 10:25
May I suggest you post on the Flight 1 forum. They're very good and very helpful.

WarHorse47
March 16th, 2010, 14:27
May I suggest you post on the Flight 1 forum. They're very good and very helpful.Done. I started here in case there was something that needed adjusting in the FS9.cfg file to correct the blurries and see if anyone else was having a similar experience. :jump:

Where is St. John, WA BTW??

Thanks

--WH

tobob
March 18th, 2010, 14:54
Not sure if this will help but, I recently had the same problem with the blurries. It was at a particluar airport I have been working on. I looked allover for duplicate scenery libraries thinking that may be the problem. Not sure if that did it but sure cleaned up my install a bit.
But what really fixed my problem was the airport altitude(I changed it). When I raised it up very slightly the blurries went away. I hope this is helpful.

Dan

WarHorse47
March 18th, 2010, 15:19
Thanks Dan.

I posted the question on the Flight1 forum, but really didn't get much of a response other than confirm that something was eating up my resources.

After some further research I ended up reducing the scenery mesh complexity on my setup from 90% to 50%, and no longer have the blurries with this particular a/c.

Cheers :ernae:

--WH

Quax d. Bruchpilot
March 19th, 2010, 08:03
I remember long time ago we had a thread about blurrys. I don't know who has posted this settings ?

[TERRAIN]
TERRAIN_ERROR_FACTOR=100.000000
TERRAIN_MIN_DEM_AREA=10.000000
TERRAIN_MAX_DEM_AREA=100.000000
TERRAIN_MAX_VERTEX_LEVEL=19
TERRAIN_TEXTURE_SIZE_EXP=8
TERRAIN_AUTOGEN_DENSITY=4
TERRAIN_USE_GRADIENT_MAP=1
TERRAIN_EXTENDED_TEXTURES=1
TERRAIN_DEFAULT_RADIUS=9.000000
TERRAIN_EXTENDED_RADIUS=9.000000
TERRAIN_EXTENDED_LEVELS=1242456

[TERRAIN]
TERRAIN_ERROR_FACTOR=62.000000
TERRAIN_MIN_DEM_AREA=10.000000
TERRAIN_MAX_DEM_AREA=100.000000
TERRAIN_MAX_VERTEX_LEVEL=19
TERRAIN_TEXTURE_SIZE_EXP=7
TERRAIN_AUTOGEN_DENSITY=2
TERRAIN_USE_GRADIENT_MAP=1
TERRAIN_EXTENDED_TEXTURES=1
TERRAIN_DEFAULT_RADIUS=9.500000
TERRAIN_EXTENDED_RADIUS=4.500000
TERRAIN_EXTENDED_LEVELS=1307992

I use the second block for my self and it helps most of the time.

Maybe it also helps you ???

Regards
Andi

Wild Bill Kelso
March 19th, 2010, 08:46
... so my guess is that the blurries are caused by the gauges.

My recommendation would be to replace this guess by evidence:
Find out if these blurries will occur with a different panel. Just create a new panel folder and name it "panel.208". Copy the content of the default Cessna 208 Caravan's panel folder into it, then edit your aircraft.cfg file by assigning one PC-12 variant to "panel=208".
A quick test hop should give the answer.

I don't know the Flight1 PC-12, but my guess would be that your setup isn't big enough to run this plane smoothly...

Cheers,
Markus.