PDA

View Full Version : AFX Update

falcon409
March 14th, 2010, 06:47
2low's post on the GEX update reminded me that there is an update for AFX available. The only addition, which is pretty nice, is that you can now do flattens. They added a poly tool that allows you to draw in any shaped flatten area you wish and it automatically sets it to the field/rwy elevation.:salute:

Dain Arns
March 14th, 2010, 09:08
And there was much rejoicing....

http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b162/Leorstef/muchrejoicing.jpg

PutPut
March 14th, 2010, 10:26
Thanks for the HU; that is a decent addition! :jump:

Paul

ananda
March 14th, 2010, 10:41
ADE has had this feature for ages.

MCDesigns
March 14th, 2010, 12:39
ADE has had this feature for ages.

I was thinking the same thing, LOL.

Honestly, does AFX have any feature that ADE doesn't? I am not knocking it, just trying to see if there are features that might make it worth me buying.

Dain Arns
March 14th, 2010, 13:09
I was thinking the same thing, LOL.

Honestly, does AFX have any feature that ADE doesn't? I am not knocking it, just trying to see if there are features that might make it worth me buying.

I was used to AFCAD when I bought it, so the advantage for me was it had a low learning curve for me and easy transition.
I liked the fact you could see the changes live in FSX.

ADE at the same time did not display in real time in FSX, and had far too much fiddling around to set it up to get it working for my personal taste.
I found it not to be user friendly, in my opinion.

I've been very happy with AFX for the past couple years. It boils down to personal taste of product and what features are more important to you.

But I'm sure Ananda would be more than happy to blow the horn for all of the wonderful advances for ADE here in this thread. :a1310: :icon_lol:
I haven't kept up with it's current status.

anthony31
March 14th, 2010, 15:49
Can you now create runways smaller than 1m wide?

The only time I use ADE is when I need to make a runway smaller than 1m (which will not display in FSX but will still allow traffic to use the runway, useful for photoreal grass strips) which is something that AFX will not handle, you get an error message in AFX if the runway is less than 1m wide and.

MCDesigns
March 14th, 2010, 16:07

The only time I use ADE is when I need to make a runway smaller than 1m (which will not display in FSX but will still allow traffic to use the runway, useful for photoreal grass strips) which is something that AFX will not handle, you get an error message in AFX if the runway is less than 1m wide and.

Yep, I use that feature quite a bit.

Thanks for the info Dain, one question, can you add a background image in AFX? I do that in ADE and it gets rather sluggish.

Dain Arns
March 14th, 2010, 18:52
Yep, I use that feature quite a bit.

Thanks for the info Dain, one question, can you add a background image in AFX? I do that in ADE and it gets rather sluggish.

Only to use as a reference, as far as I know.
I use SBuilderX anyway, and lay down the photoscenery of the airport area first.
Then use AFX to move the runways and taxiways over the top, etc.
This is nice having the airport flatten now, saves me a step.

Dain Arns
March 14th, 2010, 18:58

Nope still a 1m limit on runway creation.
Can you just use the runway link instead and not create a runway poly? I don't know, just wondering.

NoNewMessages
March 14th, 2010, 19:56
... , one question, can you add a background image in AFX? I do that in ADE and it gets rather sluggish.

Yes, background images work.

And the work around for the runway limitation would be to decompile the AFX BGL, make a quick edit of the runway width and recompile. 30, maybe 45 seconds to process?