PDA

View Full Version : Problem starting aircraft

AussieMan
March 13th, 2010, 21:13
Last week I updated my system to Windows 7 64bit and have spent time up until today reinstalling everything.

Now I find I cannot start any of my aircraft for a flight.

When I started to do the reinstall I renamed my original FSX folder to "Old FSX" and when I finished the install I just moved my Simobjects/Airplanes folder back into the fresh version. I did the same with several other folders.

I am wondering whether by doing this I have caused the problem.

Any ideas on this would be very helpful.

Cheers
Pat

falcon409
March 13th, 2010, 21:23
I have never found that to work entirely. Freeware aircraft that you manually installed will probably be fine, but any payware. . .nope. Payware installs, but it installs in places you might not be aware of, so just dragging some folders back won't get everything. Mainly, those payware addons are probably written to the registry, which you can't just drop back in, lol. So the pointers in the registry are looking for things that are no longer there in some cases.

Only sure way is to maintain copies of everything, every registry number, every activation code, every installer and key. Then when you've done a clean install of FSX, start with #1 and begin all over again. That's why I would rather have a mouthful of root canals than decide to do a clean install of FSX from scratch for any reason.:salute:

AussieMan
March 13th, 2010, 22:31
The reason I posted this problem is because when I was running 32 bit they worked fine.

Cheers
Pat

Penzoil3
March 13th, 2010, 22:54
But he's right. I have payware installed in FSX on my D drive. But the payware also has files in my C drive under Flight 1, or Eaglesoft, or Uiver etc. And... some also put files under U ser/Roaming/ App data. Others put folders in "My Documents"
I found over the years, that a lot more has to be backed up than just the FSX folder itself.
Can you start the default planes?
Sue

AussieMan
March 14th, 2010, 00:44
Understood Sue.

Not even the default ones will start. Looks like back to square one and do another install then install all addon aircraft one by one :isadizzy:.

Cheers
Pat

harleyman
March 14th, 2010, 03:27
I always foung that all this back up crap to be useless..why reload an OS and then want to put a well used FSX install into it..(yea, It saves time) but does it really, after you figure out your regestry is not right, and you have to fix or start over.

to me ..its a new Install of the OS, then its all fresh of the FSX stuff too...... Thats just me though...Cutting corners to me is like believing that everything in life is free and easy...lol

AussieMan
March 14th, 2010, 22:06
Last night I started a fresh install of FSX and ALL the default aircraft started ok. Today I started installing some payware aircraft > I installed a couple of the Carenado aircraft but then found they would not start.

Ahh well back to the drawing board.

Cheers
Pat

fliger747
March 15th, 2010, 09:25
Hi Pat! Hope you are doing well. Just installed FSX on a new windows 7, i7laptop. Having some similar problems with some planes. Typical is mags and fuel are off, the other one that pops up sometimes is the dead battery.

A pain, but switching to the default Cessna 172 and back usually cures the problem. What is your default aircraft? A stocker?

Good luck... T

Roger
March 15th, 2010, 10:17
Yes, good point T...make sure your start-up flight aircraft is a default one Pat.

AussieMan
March 15th, 2010, 13:15
Tom & Roger I always use a default aircraft for the startup. I found the problem started when I installed Accelleration. This time I only installed the SP1 and SP2 patches and all seems fine at the moment.

I have reinstalled the PNW scenery and the Carenado C-185F and all is still working fine.

Now have fingers crossed for the rest of the install.

Cheers
Pat

harleyman
March 15th, 2010, 16:43
Acceleration...hmmmmmmm Thats very odd.... Hope you sort it out.....

Wombat_VC
March 15th, 2010, 18:09
I'm still slowly migrating over to my Win7-64 notebook. So far, I have encountered only one "non-starting" incident. I set the Epic LT as the default start-up. There was this one time I flew it, landed, shutdown, and could not restart, not even with CTRL-E.

Not sure if this is related, but I found that the McAfee that came with the notebook was slowly "eating" away my files and registry entries. Some of those "eaten" entries belong to the REX2, among some others. I wonder if the non-starting problems were related to this. McAfee treats many of these non-mainstream applications as trojans and I can't seem to be able to override or "teach" McAfee to live with them.

fliger747
March 15th, 2010, 19:24
In that case it would really like a tasty T-28 (Trojan).

Cheers: T