PDA

View Full Version : Did that sound just come out of my butt?

OBIO
March 12th, 2010, 16:02
And no..this is not a thread about passing gas or breaking wind. It's about barking and a very neat little gadget I bought today to end the barking.

Brutus, our 12 pound, 3/4 Chihuahua 1/4 Jack Russell mix is a BARKER! He barks at everything...planes flying over head, cars with noisy exhausts, tractors. He goes from quiet to frantic barking instantly...and he will bark for 5 mintues after what ever he was barking at has moved into the next county. His barking is so annoying that today Deb wanted me to take him and have him put to sleep. I was not at all comfortable with that idea.....he's a perfectly healthy, wonderful dog...other than the barking.

So, I went to a local pet store and bought a barking controller device. This is a battery operated box that you can hang on the wall or set on a table. It has an effective operating radius of 25 feet. When the device, via its built in microphone, detects a dog barking for more than 2 seconds...it emits a very loud (102 decibel), high frequency sound. Humans can not hear it...but dogs, cats and other animals can.

Twice since turning it on, Brutus has had the urge to bark at something...and instead of him breaking into a 5 minute session of barking...and his barks are really loud for such a small dog....he might get 4 barks out before the box emits its ultrasonic blast. He instantly goes from BARK BARK BARK to "Hey, did that sound just come out of my butt"? Yep...both times when the box went off...he instantly bent himself in half to investigate his hind end. Quite funny to watch.

We paid 45 dollars for the box....which well was worth the price if it helps break his insane barking...which will decrease the stress in the house, make Deb and I much happier, and save his life to boot...well, not that I would ever put him to sleep.

OBIO

Ken Stallings
March 12th, 2010, 17:45
He's probably trying to curl up into a ball to cover his ears! Lack of hands means he has to use other methods. I'm sure if the sound doesn't end soon, he might be trying to cover his ears in another manner! :icon_lol:

Ken

Cratermaker
March 12th, 2010, 17:57
Ok, where do you get one of these?

waco
March 12th, 2010, 18:09
There's also another type of bark collar that carries a battery pack and two little electrodes that shocks the dog on the neck under the collar whenever the animal barks. After a couple or so times of being shocked the dog becomes aware that it's painful to bark and shuts up.

stiz
March 12th, 2010, 18:20
There's also another type of bark collar that carries a battery pack and two little electrodes that shocks the dog on the neck under the collar whenever the animal barks. After a couple or so times of being shocked the dog becomes aware that it's painful to bark and shuts up.

i would never put one of those things on any dog :kilroy:

luckydog
March 12th, 2010, 19:05
I agree with Stitz.............

NEVER EVER put a shock collar on your dog.........especially if its the automatic kind. Quite often they will shock without the barking. I've had several super great dog friends who turned into neurotic/paranoid biters because of those.

LD

Bushpounder
March 12th, 2010, 19:11
Is there a setting for "mother-in-law"? :jump:

Don

mrogers
March 12th, 2010, 19:17
Stiz, the bark collar does have its uses, it does help in correcting bad behaviour in some dogs. Some farmers use it as a last resort if bad behaviour in farm dogs can not be bougfht under control, such as biting farm stock when they shouldnt while rounding them up, etc. and it stops them from doing that again permanently (they arent the automatic kind but are remotely controlled) Usually the collars are removed after a short time. However there is the possibilty of people using them too much, overdoing it, leading to the dogs becoming neurotic/paranoid as luckydog has said above.

Lionheart
March 12th, 2010, 19:25
And no..this is not a thread about passing gas or breaking wind. It's about barking and a very neat little gadget I bought today to end the barking.

Brutus, our 12 pound, 3/4 Chihuahua 1/4 Jack Russell mix is a BARKER! He barks at everything...planes flying over head, cars with noisy exhausts, tractors. He goes from quiet to frantic barking instantly...and he will bark for 5 mintues after what ever he was barking at has moved into the next county. His barking is so annoying that today Deb wanted me to take him and have him put to sleep. I was not at all comfortable with that idea.....he's a perfectly healthy, wonderful dog...other than the barking.

So, I went to a local pet store and bought a barking controller device. This is a battery operated box that you can hang on the wall or set on a table. It has an effective operating radius of 25 feet. When the device, via its built in microphone, detects a dog barking for more than 2 seconds...it emits a very loud (102 decibel), high frequency sound. Humans can not hear it...but dogs, cats and other animals can.

Twice since turning it on, Brutus has had the urge to bark at something...and instead of him breaking into a 5 minute session of barking...and his barks are really loud for such a small dog....he might get 4 barks out before the box emits its ultrasonic blast. He instantly goes from BARK BARK BARK to "Hey, did that sound just come out of my butt"? Yep...both times when the box went off...he instantly bent himself in half to investigate his hind end. Quite funny to watch.

We paid 45 dollars for the box....which well was worth the price if it helps break his insane barking...which will decrease the stress in the house, make Deb and I much happier, and save his life to boot...well, not that I would ever put him to sleep.

OBIO

Man, I havent laughed that hard in about 2 weeks or more, lol.. You had me crying... No side stitches, luckily..

I can just see my mothers dogs with this thing, and they are all checking their butts!!!!! lolololololol...

oh man..

Thanks OBIO for the great laugh. I am going to look for this thing. Sounds awesome.

Bill

stiz
March 12th, 2010, 19:40
Stiz, the bark collar does have its uses, it does help in correcting bad behaviour in some dogs. Some farmers use it as a last resort if bad behaviour in farm dogs can not be bougfht under control, such as biting farm stock when they shouldnt while rounding them up, etc. and it stops them from doing that again permanently (they arent the automatic kind but are remotely controlled) Usually the collars are removed after a short time. However there is the possibilty of people using them too much, overdoing it, leading to the dogs becoming neurotic/paranoid as luckydog has said above.

Theres a difference to a manual one thats used to as a last resort for bad behaviour, but for just barking theres other (and better..) ways.

OBIO
March 12th, 2010, 19:44
Petsmart has these boxes. They are called Petsafe Stationary Bark Control Training System. $44.99 if you buy it from Petsmart.com (found under the behavior and training section of their Dog stuff). The in store price here was $59.99. Luckily another pet shop had it for $44.98.

There is a down side to this unit...there is not an On/Off switch. To turn it off, the battery has to be removed. Not a big deal...but a little while ago, Brutus was trying to get Hazel to chase him around the couch...a nightly ritual for the dogs....and as he went to do his "catch me if you can" barks...the box did its thing...and he went right into butt inspection mode again. Hopefully his barking habit will be modified in short order so that we can shut the box off and let him and Hazel have their fun time in the evening......we don't mind his play barking....it's his insane barking that we are trying to break.

I would never use a shock collar....I have seen them abused and the resultant skittishness the poor dog was left with. I am sure it can be a good training tool when used properly....but I like the sonic ones better. Just a bit of noise, no pain.

OBIO

Tom Clayton
March 12th, 2010, 19:58

T8Jli-2pcgM

tigisfat
March 12th, 2010, 21:51
I never, ever thought I'd get a shock collar, but I used one occasionally for our current dog. Bloodhounds are the most willfull and nearly untrainable dogs I've ever seen. I've spent 100's of hours training her and she is kinda trained, but if she feels like it she will still get up and run away while told to sit and stay or flat out ignore a call to come if there's something interesting going on. She's not a bad dog, most of the time she listens and carries out standard commands and more with gusto and a happiness, but the collar goes on for walks in public and at parks. She can and will bolt into traffic and get herself or someone else killed. The shock collar is one of the few things that will stop her in her tracks.

Don't let them lie to you though with their politically correct advertisements at Petsmart. I gave myself the full treatment before i put it on the dog. They call it a "slight correction" and say it's "similar to a static shock". The full strength shock will absolutely nail you worse than any electric fence will. I know both feelings very well.

Recently, we moved into the city. She has a backyard now and many new things to deal with. It's been two months, and she still bays and barks every night in the hours approaching her dinner and come inside time around 8:30. The uppety people in this upscale neighborhood we moved into have been calling the police instead of asking us to do something about it.

I had to buy an ultrasonic anti-bark box for the yard today. I feel worse about it than I do the shock collar, but I had no choice now that the law and possible litigation is involved. The homeowner's association around here will actually sue people and/or force them to remove their dogs. Can you imagine a world where you couldn't verbally express yourself without punishment or blaring noises? It makes me sick to think about it like torture for my dog. She should be allowed to make some noise from time to time, it's just the ten straight minutes of screaming that aren't reasonable.

thoughts?

opinions?

hey_moe
March 13th, 2010, 01:51
LMAO....I two...one for the mother in law and the other one for the father in law...they fuss all the time when we go visit.
Is there a setting for "mother-in-law"? :jump:

Don

brad kaste
March 13th, 2010, 06:21
....I wonder what Cesar Millan would have to say about all this.......:kilroy:

boxcar
March 13th, 2010, 08:04
Good on you, OBIO! Very funny.

Yeah, I'd never use a shock collar either. This sounds like an interesting way to attempt to resolve the barking. Check out the dog whisperer for other great tips to try if that doesn't work. That cat really does know canine behaviors: http://www.cesarsway.com/

cheezyflier
March 13th, 2010, 08:07
somebody had to go here. you knew it was gonna be me:

HAKEedAuybQ

Snuffy
March 13th, 2010, 08:10
That beagle I alluded to in another thread, would never stay in an area with a fence that he didn't tunnel under and make his escape.

That all ended the day I installed "Invisible Fence" around the yard. Unfortunately that beagle was so stupid that untill he started to understand what the whislte on his collar meant, I had to use all most maximum power on the fence.

And it works too, I had the unfortunate experience of finding out what happens. The collar battery died and needed replaced, so I take the collar in and replace the battery and then when taking the collar back out to put on the dog, I crossed the fence line with the collar neatly wrapped around my middle finger ... needless to say, I let out a yelp. LOL.

waco
March 13th, 2010, 08:49
Boy, this thread has really took off after I mentioned the shock collar as an alternative. I've only used it a couple of times years ago for a couple of dogs we had that would bark incessantly. And even then, the dogs learned after the second bark and the collar wasn't needed any more. Better that than some of retributions some riled neighbors might entertain. Right now there is dog poisoning going on in the town south of me where I was raised. Somebody is throwing arsenic laced meatballs over backyard fences. Five dogs have died of this in the past 3 weeks. If someone poisoned my pal, I would want to turn vigilante.

cheezyflier
March 13th, 2010, 12:31
If someone poisoned my pal, I would want to turn vigilante.

years ago there was a guy lived next door to my sister. he poisoned her cat.
karma came back and bit him a couple days later. somehow, his motorcycle caught firejust sitting there in front of his house. burned away to nuthin almost. boy that was really something :wavey:

OBIO
March 13th, 2010, 17:05
My sis-in-law has a big big Rottweiler....he's close to 200 pounds, no fat....Boo is a gentle giant of a dog. Kind, playful...though, if he steps on your foot.....it hurts!

The last place she lived, her neighbor was a 1400 year old reclusive hag....never came out of her house. Her kids, grand kids and great grand kids were always coming over and the kids would play in the back yard. Boo, when he was out in the fenced in back yard...would bark every once in a while...nothing major.

One day, Boo was not acting himself....so to the vet he went. He had been poisoned. $1800 worth of intensive vet care later, Boo was on the mend....a long road to recovery followed.

Three other neighbors, whose properties also touched on the property of this 1400 year old reclusive had, had dogs poisoned....6 dogs in all. Only one of them survived.

Now, there was no proof that the poisoning came from the yard/family of the 1400 year old reclusive hag...but the circumstantial evidence was enough that a couple fellas wanted to zap her house with a few dozen burning arrows...twernt me though...my wood long bow has a crack in the lower limb and is now only useful as a decoration.

24 hour update on the annoying butt noise box....Brutus has been quiet. This morning the Jehoval Witnesses pulled in to visit our neighbors...who moved out and did not leave a forwarding address for them.....and Brutus barked 3 times then got busy checking out his butt again.

OBIO

Willy
March 13th, 2010, 17:50
My Min Pin Sassy when you set her down after having picked her up has to turn and check out her butt. It's like she's got to make sure it's still there and you didn't keep it.