PDA

View Full Version : "Lone Survivor" - Marcus Luttrell

jmig
March 12th, 2010, 08:58
This week I have been at an industry conference. One of the speakers that I got to see and hear was Marcus Luttrell, author of Lone Survivor.

For those who may not be aware, as I wasn't before hearing him, Marcus was a Navy SEAL who was the only survivor of the worst loss of life by the US Navy Seals in their history. His talk, which was a condensed version of the book, was riveting. His talks and the book are because he never wants people to forget the sacrifice his teammates made in defending freedom.

He stood up there and just spoke. No fancy communications training. No "look at me, I am a SEAL" stuff. Just plain simple talk that had everyone listening completely. He talked about his training and then the mission.

The mission was compromised when some goat headers stumbled upon them. They had two choices; shoot the herders or let them go. According to the ROE, shooting the unarmed headers would have been considered murder, so they let them go. Two hours later well over a hundred Taliban fighters showed up.

If I have seen what he said happen in a movie, I would have thought it Hollywood hyperbolic. Rambo stuff that real people never do or survive. I believed every word he said. You have no idea of toughness, teamwork, and giving it your ALL until you hear or read something like this. I think he stated what they did and why they were all wiped out with one simple sentence.

"We ran out of blood and bullets."

I highly recommend you see him, if you get the opportunity and/or read his book. These guys make Rambo look like a pussycat.

There was a spontaneous standing ovation by everyone in the room after he finished.

kilo delta
March 12th, 2010, 11:03
I read a lot about Marcus Luttrell recently...an amazing story!

He was in the media spotlight recently after his dog was shot dead outside of his home.

aRHTJyuXzhQ

and here's one of his public appearances..

VQebS8WUYuA

Ken Stallings
March 12th, 2010, 12:01
Those four punks are very lucky to be alive today. It isn't merely they murdered dogs, but moreover were shooting up residential areas. Regardless of the timeframe, they could have richocheted a shot into a house and killed someone, perhaps even a kid!

Some might think the SEAL was ill-advised to chase them down at such a high speed. There may be some merit to that, but I'm glad he did chase them down. Punks need to realize some people in this world don't cower, but come right after you when you break the law.

Fact is, this SEAL could have dropped all four of them like a bad habit outside his home. Wouldn't have bothered me one iota if he did.

Ken

kilo delta
March 12th, 2010, 12:26
He showed amazing self control after he caught up with them....I'd have gone all Chuck Norris on them!:violent:

jmig
March 13th, 2010, 04:17
He had a new dog with him. I was told that Glenn Beck gave it to him. It too is a service dog and represents his fallen teammates.