PDA

View Full Version : The End of the World is Nigh....the IRS Did Something Right

OBIO
March 11th, 2010, 07:02
Deb and I filed taxes some weeks back...the the expectation of getting $723. We have been checking the Where's My Refund? link on the IRS website to get an idea of when the money will actually make it into our hands. Original date was end of March, then early April. I just checked...and not only has the date changed again, but so has the amount we are gettting back. The money will be direct deposited tomorrow....and the amount was changed to $1123! An extra $400 dollars! That will totally pay for one new piece of living room furniture....a Chair and a Half is what it's called.

I can not recall ever hearing of the IRS adjusting someone's return and giving them a 50% increase in the amount of the return.

OBIO

cheezyflier
March 11th, 2010, 07:41
I can not recall ever hearing of the IRS adjusting someone's return and giving them a 50% increase in the amount of the return.

OBIO

be careful, could be a set up. in 1988 i filed my taxes. by my reckoning i was due a $70 refund. i got a letter from the irs saying i did my taxes wrong, and they fixed the mistake, and adjusted my refund. i thought ok, so even if i only get $5, at least i don't owe. the very next day a check showed up for $1244. i was pretty happy about that. i cashed the check, and went on with my life. 2 years later, they sent me a letter telling me that i had FRAUDULENTLY filled out my tax forms, and now owed them $5,000 plus compounded intrest and appropriate fines. save every single piece of paper they send you. don't trust them to deal with you fairly or honestly. good luck
:wavey:

Snuffy
March 11th, 2010, 10:24
I've had my taxes filed and refunded over a month ago ... 3 days after my bank indicated I got my refund, I got a letter in the mail from the IRS stating why my refund was more than I filed.

Seems their math was off in one or two of their calculations. I got a grand total of about $150.00 more than I was expecting.

Toastmaker
March 11th, 2010, 10:49
As inept as many stories indicate that the IRS can be, it is not unusual for an IRS recalculation to result in a greater refund to the taxpayer. As advised, do keep all paperwork between you and them, but you likely have nothing to worry about except what to spend it on. . . !
:applause:

PRB
March 11th, 2010, 10:52
As inept as many stories indicate that the IRS can be, it is not unusual for an IRS recalculation to result in a greater refund to the taxpayer. ...

Yep, happened to me once too...

HouseHobbit
March 11th, 2010, 11:01
Don't trust the IRS, They did the same thing to my Blind Brother..
In the end 5 years later it cost him His House..

Had to sell it to pay the penalties for the IRS "MISTAKE"
Oh they said the extra 70 dollars they sent him 5 years before, Was His Mistake Not there's..

With all the penatilies and fines it came to 45,000+ dollars.
He spent another 5,000 on Lawyers to fight it all.
Of course He Lost..

Now lives in a Mobile Home in a Mobile home park..
He is still paying it off, 4 years later..
Lost his Job because of it, and lives on SSI.
Which the IRS takes a large part of each Month..

Get ahold of these "Monsters"and get this sorted out.. NOW.
May God have mercy on you..

Toastmaker
March 11th, 2010, 11:21
OH PLEASE !! Would you give us a break ? Penalty and interest on $70 was $45,000+ ???? Over only five years ?

OBIO
March 11th, 2010, 11:53
I will keep a good record of all this....always keep good records when taxes are involved. That extra $400, plus the $250 one time bonus for Social Security and SSDI recipients...which got deposited to our bank account this morning...will go toward the purchase of our new living room furniture. Two nice Chair and a Half pieces. $681 dollars tax and all. $650 total "wind fall, free money"...means will will only be spending $30 of our regular money to pay for the new furniture! How cool is that? Now, I just have to get busy with the Spring Cleaning and the carpet shampooing...which Deb says has to be done BEFORE the new furniture comes home.

OBIO

Snuffy
March 11th, 2010, 12:00
Like I mentioned Obio ... I got a letter from the IRS 3 or 4 days after I got my refund ... keep an eye on your incoming mail.

Odie
March 11th, 2010, 14:33
My wife did my son's tax return this year and missed a line. Her calculations had him getting $400.00 and some change back. He got a letter from the IRS stating where the error was and that the recalculation netted him another $400.00 for a total of $800.00 and some change. Couple of days later he got the check.

Needless to say, he gave his "accountant" a good ribbing for her mistake! :icon_lol:

Tom Clayton
March 11th, 2010, 14:53
We used Turbo Tax on CD the last two years, and just went with the online service this time around. The cost was just about $3 less than the CD version, but it saved having to install an app that would only be used one time. Prior to that, my Dad was working for H&R Block for a few years as an inter-office courrier, so we got the service for free. Good thing too, since their basic service is over $100!

TeaSea
March 11th, 2010, 15:44
I've had it go both ways....

I've made a mistake, IRS caught it and sent me the extra.

I've also made a mistake the other way, IRS caught it, and asked for the extra.

In both instances they were right, I was wrong (simple oversight on my part).

Well, at least someone's reading the things......