PDA

View Full Version : WASP pilots honored with Congressional medal Wednesday

X_eidos2
March 10th, 2010, 15:32
Something good happened in Washington DC today.

The WASP pilots from WW2 were awarded Congressional Gold Medals today.

http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/article/ALeqM5iMdYRUedjmyrD-nnbULYjPI5ALswD9EC3DNG0

http://www.npr.org/blogs/pictureshow/2010/03/a_contraband_camera_photos_of.html

brad kaste
March 10th, 2010, 15:38
....It was long overdue......

Ken Stallings
March 10th, 2010, 15:57
This was so long overdue as to be humiliating to our country!

Also, the way we treated these women pilots during the war was truly horrible.

They had to pay for their uniforms and pay their own ways home when they were told their service to the nation was no longer necessary!

These women did one heck of a fine job, deserved a lot better, and earned this overdue recognition a long time ago!

Glad to see it finally has happened. :engel016:

Ken

TARPSBird
March 10th, 2010, 16:00
Very well deserved and way too long coming. I hope the medals are also awarded to the families of the deceased WASP's.

lifejogger
March 11th, 2010, 04:34
It is about time.:applause::applause::applause::applause:
One of the ladies,Florene Miller Watson, lives in the town where I work and there was a big write up about her in the Amarillo paper.

Lionheart
March 11th, 2010, 07:09
I saw this on the news yesterday. Congradulations to them all.
:salute: :medals: :salute:

OBIO
March 11th, 2010, 07:30
Too little, too late in my opinion. Sure, for a second, these ladies...ladies without whom the US war effort would have been slowed...have been put before the eyes of the nation...but the eyes of the nation will quickly turn to what ever idiotic Hollyweird drama comes along in a day or three and will quickly forget about the WASPs. This recognition should have been given 55 years ago, these women should have been counted as US Military Veterans and thus entitled to all the benefits there of. These women should have been talked about in our history books, in documentaries, in a well written, well directed and well cast movie or three. These women should have been honored long ago and to a much higher level. While I am glad that these women and their contributions to the US War Effort were finally put before the eyes of people, it is too little, too late.

OBIO