PDA

View Full Version : oooooooooooo lah lah... Italian Design...

Lionheart
March 9th, 2010, 14:09
Hey all,

For those that have never heard of one of these, here is a lesson.

This is Bertone 'Project 112', a design that Ferruccio Lamborghini paid for by selling his shares in his own company to finance it, thus giving up his company so that it could grow and this car could be made.

When time came to give it a name, it had already recieved a 'nickname'. All (in Italy) that saw it, would comment 'Countach!' which is an Italian word that loosely means Wow! So they decided to call it Wow or Countach! The word, by the way, is pronounced 'koon-taasch' and denotes both amazement and repsect.

The heart of the car was to have the Lamborghini V-12 engine, but had to have things moved around. This massive engine, which takes up half of the car, had to have the rear end (gears and axles) mounted into the block, and of course as the rear of the engine, with the drive shaft to this system coming from the transmission which was mounted in the front of the engine block. This was all in one, single, massive assembly, one block. Thus the engine also had a built in tranni, and built in rear-end, all in one. (Its hard to imagine that... Sort of reminds me of a jet fighter with its turbine taking up most of the interior of the fuselage).

The car was entered in the 1974 show car circuit and immediately became famous. It was then

Next, came the engineering of the concept car to make it road worthy. It was found to have overheating issues so Bob Wallace, test car driver, and some engineers took it out to the track and started doing testing on it, aerodynamics and vents were studied, cut, tested, changed, cut, tested, and finally she was running cool. 4 Years went into the refining of the wild wedge craft until finally 001 was rolled out and delivered to famed Formula One mogul Walter Wolf.

Some interesting tidbits to know about the Countach.
* They had a twin cam V-12, originally fitted with dual barrel Webber horizontal draft carburetors, 6 of them for the 12 cylinders. The engine sported cam driven dual Distributors.
* She sported 3 radiators located throughout the low wedged shape; one in the nose, and two at the rear in front of the rear tires, located in the shoulders of the back. When one started it, first turning the key on, the roar of 4 different fans would fill the air, 2 in the front, and one at each side of the rear. (I got to see hear that a few times).
* The door knob was hidden in the NACA duct/scoop, in the upper area, so you reached under and felt for a smooth, squarish chrome button, pushed that, and lifted up the door, which rose straight up.
* The original body series had a built in periscope in the roof ,which was a 1 inch high odd looking curved 'rear view mirror' thing molded into the cieling in the cockpit.
* When backing one up, usually the drivers learned it was easiest to leave the door open, sit half way on the side 'pontoon' and look behind you as you eased the craft backwards. Otherwise, your blind spots would play havoc with difficult reverse manuveres..
* The line from the front of the hood to the top back edge of the windshield was a straight line. This was a true wedge...
* You had a small trunk in the front nose area along with a small spare tire, as well as a second trunk in the very rear with its own opening trunk lid (boot) as well as the seperate engine hood.
* The sound of the engine going through its paces in a 'performance' manner is almost like a mix between a forumla one car and an old Kawasaki KZ with a 4 into 1 header. Beautiful sound.... whew... (wipes the sweat from forehead thinking about it).
* The engine, speaking of that, was origianlly designed for Ferrari's Formula One racding divsion by the famous Giotto Bizzorinni, famed auto designer and maker, who redid the F1 engine into a more suitable 'road engine' for normal everyday use. Ferrari didnt want the engine design, and Giotto, having been approached by Ferruccio for help in starting up his factory making a car, offered Ferruccio the engine for his car lines.
* Did you know that Ferruccio made tractors? Yes, he was first a tractor maker and mogul. You can still by Lamborghini tractors today and they are pretty nice farm equipment.
* The original story behind Ferruccio starting up his own car company was this.... Ferruccio was touring the countryside one weekend with his love, in one of his six Ferrari's. He was bothered by the bad breaking and decided to drop in and visit with the infamous Mr. Enzo Ferrari. Ferrari though, in conversation, was put off by a 'tractor maker' giving him advice on how to make his brakes better. Ferrari's were always noted for this and the answer back from Enzo was 'My cars are designed to run fast! Not slow down!' Ferruccio, fealing hurt, decided he would make his own cars. And so the story goes...

Its a wild story.

Here is the original prototype, Project 112.

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4061/4420370213_6fa041e6f5_o.jpg

Note in the prototype, no side NACA ducts, and no shoulder scoop boxes

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/120/309195798_2b65231a57_o.jpg

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3588/3290369728_2fdf043eab_b.jpg

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3602/3444392585_49bda9f6a6_o.jpg

Note the periscope slot built into the roof. This is the first car body design of the production Countach

Bill

Wing_Z
March 9th, 2010, 15:56
Poster car...I had one on the wall.
Topgear thought that was where it belonged:

http://www.poetv.com/video.php?vid=5662

Lionheart
March 9th, 2010, 23:09
Poster car!

bah!

arrgh...

<-- left eye twitches, causing one of the few, left intact gray eyebrow hairs to detach, gently floating away, striking the desktop near the keyboard with a gently 'thunk'...

Some people dont know auto-exoticism when it looks them in the face.....

Bill

Dain Arns
March 10th, 2010, 00:06
I have to admit the TopGear report was right, Bill.
It really was a great looking design in the 80's, and amazing sounding, but I heard it was a pain to keep running as well.

But Bill. Remember this one?
What I think was the greatest 60 Minutes report of all time.
"it's like a beautiful ... woooman..."
Just for you...

Part One:
0OwCR8AP2G0

Part Two:
aY09dM3JNTk

kilo delta
March 10th, 2010, 01:34
I remember a local guy buying one of these back in the 80's.....a special edition silver Countach. I, as an impressionable teenager, was always in awe of the car when I saw/heard it....and was always jealous of the fact that a classmate of mine managed to get a passenger ride in it while it was been driven at it's VNE!!!:sleep::icon_lol: He still has it to this day along with a lot of other exotica including a Mercedes Vito van fitted with a 600bhp Lambo V12 engine!

Lionheart
March 10th, 2010, 01:51
Thanks for that Dane. Great to watch that again.

:ernae:

In the video where they show the factory, they stated how they made most all of the parts right there. I know this was back in the 1980's and times were better, it just still makes me wonder why we cant do things like this in America anymore. Our engines come from Canada and Mexico and China.... In the video, all those guys were busy, focused, making the parts..

Toyota and BMW can come over and set up factories here. Why cant we do the same 'here'?

arrgh... off focus..

Great video. Love the countryside driving.

Did you see all the farmland? No wonder Ferruccio did so well making tractors. Must be an awesome business to be in with so much farming going on..

Bill

Snuffy
March 10th, 2010, 03:20
I gotta seriously ask about your tastes in ... ahem ... "automobiles". That's a rolling death trap.

How do you expect to be able to see what's in front of the car in front of you? You can't possibly know.

I'll keep my 4x4 GMC thanks.

Lionheart
March 10th, 2010, 04:03
Hey Snuffy,

I dont question your tastes. I also see huge trucks as being dangerous to others in 'all' small cars, which include Toyota Prius', Corvettes, Corolla's, VW's, etc, etc. You guys can just mow down a car full of people easily with no damage. You can jam on your brakes and a car's hood is immediately obliterated under your bumper.

dang..

I reacted... Sorry.

Two sides to each I guess...

EDIT: To each their own. Some like spaghetti and garlic toast, some like a hamburger and fries. Some people like trucks, cars, compacts, motorcycles, cross country bikes, hang gliders, parachutes.. I guess thats what makes humanity incredible is the diversity of each person.

Bill

Snuffy
March 10th, 2010, 04:11
LOL! Nothing "huge" about my GMC ... its just a plain standard stock Z71 4x4. :)

kilo delta
March 10th, 2010, 04:12
With a claimed 200mph top speed, there'll be few car in front....apart from Toyota Prius' with dodgy accelerator pedals!!;) :icon_lol::icon_lol:
Seriously,though,forward visibility isn't too bad ...apart from the low seating position (something that is common among supercars). Rearward visibility was/is dire and it's common for the drivers to pop the door open and physically check their six when reversing!

stiz
March 10th, 2010, 05:56
With a claimed 200mph top speed, there'll be few car in front..

yup, go ahead an let her rip! pedal to the metal!

:icon_lol:

cheezyflier
March 10th, 2010, 06:07
....apart from Toyota Prius' with dodgy accelerator pedals!!;) :icon_lol::icon_lol:

D4W7oZBhAJg

kilo delta
March 10th, 2010, 06:48
yup, go ahead an let her rip! pedal to the metal!

:icon_lol:

We don't get much traffic here......and even less in the 1980's!!:icon_lol:

TARPSBird
March 10th, 2010, 07:49
I don't think my porky bod would fit in that Lamborghini. :icon_lol:
Isn't that the same kind of car that the moron in Florida drove into the water while watching birds a few months back?

Ferry_vO
March 10th, 2010, 07:57
Isn't that the same kind of car that the moron in Florida drove into the water while watching birds a few months back?

No, that was a Bugatti Veyron.

IIRC Lamborghini is one of the last manufacturers that make real supercars; uncomfortable, unaffordable, fast, loud, designed for looks rather than everyday use. Even Ferrari is working on hybrids these days, can't wait to see the next generation of Lamborghini's now that the Murcielago is nearing the end of it's life.

OBIO
March 10th, 2010, 08:42
It's odd that the Nash Rambler would pop up in this thread...as I saw one yesterday. It was a work in progress hot rod. The top had been removed, making it a convertible. The body had been lowered, the engine was FAR from stock...sounded like a 427, 440 or 454 that had been worked over...definitely a big block...the rear of the hood (bonnet in the UK...the thing that covers the engine) had to be raised up to clear the engine. The wheels were oversized...looked like 20 inchers...and the tires were wide and beefy. Will be one very interesting rod once it is done.

OBIO

Lionheart
March 10th, 2010, 08:46
No, that was a Bugatti Veyron.

IIRC Lamborghini is one of the last manufacturers that make real supercars; uncomfortable, unaffordable, fast, loud, designed for looks rather than everyday use. Even Ferrari is working on hybrids these days, can't wait to see the next generation of Lamborghini's now that the Murcielago is nearing the end of it's life.

That should be interesting, a hybrid Ferrari...

Have you seen the prototype Tesla Model 'S' sedan? What a beauty....

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3317/3422635047_06afb93ce7_b.jpg

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3463/3936044274_0895e3fb41_o.jpg

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3494/3983364520_d05e155d7e_b.jpg

That sleek thing looks like an Aston Martin..

Bill

Ferry_vO
March 10th, 2010, 08:59
That should be interesting, a hybrid Ferrari...

http://www.worldcarfans.com/110030224851/ferrari-hy-kers-experimental-vehicle-debuts-in-geneva

Wing_Z
March 10th, 2010, 10:24
Have you seen the prototype Tesla Model 'S' sedan? What a beauty....
That sleek thing looks like an Aston Martin...
Bill

She's a beaut!
And electric, too - you'd better glue the tyres to the rims with all that torque available ;)
If only it didn't cost half a gazillion dollars! :mix-smi:

Dain Arns
March 10th, 2010, 10:56
I like the looks of the Lamborghini Gallardo Nera...

Bjoern
March 10th, 2010, 14:31
How do you expect to be able to see what's in front of the car in front of you?

Ironic question...

|
v

I'll keep my 4x4 GMC thanks.

;)

That sleek thing looks like an Aston Martin..

Front: Rounder Mazda 6.
Back: A rounder Jaguar XF.
Top: A rounder Volvo S60.

Still, better well stolen than bad own work. I think I'd buy one.

In terms of Lamborghini:
I prefer the Diablo 6.0.

But in overall supersportscarawesomeness, the XJ220 remains unbeaten!

Lionheart
March 10th, 2010, 15:10
Hey Bjoern,

The XJ220 is one of my faves. But why sell it with ONLY A V6???????????????????????? arrghh... It needed their V12, was designed for the V12, and they went with a V6...

I had friends that worked for Jag as test drivers. They had to move to Texas for a year for the XJ220 endurance and US registration testing, running it on a huge cicular track daily. Two 220's were lost to possible frame failure, breaking in half for no apparent reason. 2 Souls lost. The people I knew all made it back home to Phoenix safely.

I cant imagine driving at near 200 MPH all day long, for months... I did do 120 MPH daily for about 7 months with a Euro Range Rover German Edition, which needed 'Autobahn' life testing. We finally got it passed. :) But man, could you imagine life in a Jag for a year at high speed???? lol.. . dang..

Sunrise, prep the vehicle, check the tires, oil, clean the windshield, get in, warm it up, idle to the track, turn on the temp equipment recorders, start the paperwork, log your mileage and time, then hit the track, helmet on, flashers going, (headlight strobes). Run it out of fuel, which on an older Rover was about 1 hour 45 min's, then to the fuel paddocks to refuel and scrape off all the bugs, butterflies, and sometimes bird debris.

One guy hit a jackrabbit. Luckily it didnt do any damage to the Discovery he was in. It was huge.... Hitting one of those at 200 to 220 MPH in a low slung Jag XJ220 and at night (they ran at night also), would have been disasterous, like being shot with a military shell in the nose. This particular jackrabbit was as big as a medium sized dog. I havent seen one that big before. Havillina pigs would cross our track, but we could usually miss them. They feared us and usually ran for it before we got super close. There were a family that lived at turn one.

Those were the days, lol...

Side note; We (Land Rover Developement) were one of several manufacturers that tested at the Chrysler Proving Grounds (when it was open). Volvo, Rover Cars, Shelby, and sometimes Honda would also test out there. We (they) also brought in test vehicles from around the world, such as a Lambo, Renault Espace (that was cool), the GM electric EV1 (that thing was awesome...............) and a few others. I later went to work for them (Chrysler) for about a year, driving cars like the Viper (it would beat you up and leave you sore with ringing in your ears from the V10 exhaust being so loud). With the Viper, they appreciated 'rigorous' testing. Thus you were thrown around in the cockpit. after 8 hours, it paid its toll. You didnt want to drive that beast more then one day in a row... (They had different tests for it that needed accellerations, decellerations, turns, etc, which could get violent).

Bill

Ferry_vO
March 10th, 2010, 15:24
..And not just any V6, but a V6 that was developed by BL to use in their MG Metro 6R4 rally car, after a deal with Honda to use one of their engines bounced. The engine itself wasn't too bad by the time it was put into the XJ220, but (potential) customers signed up for a supercar with a 6.0 liter V12 as in the original prototype, not an engine from an MG Metro! That did cost them more than a few clients.. The production XJ220 did deliver on it 220 mph promise but it was too big and heavy.

The front intakes of a Veyron are covered with a titanium mesh, not because it looks cool (Well that too) but to make mince meat of any road kill at 200+ mph speeds..

Oh well, back to my sims to enjoy some classic and modern Italian muscle!:

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a262/Ferror/GTR2/GRAB_108.jpg

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a262/Ferror/GTR2/GRAB_109.jpg

Murcielago LP670-4 SV:

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a262/Ferror/GTR2/GRAB_077.jpg

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a262/Ferror/GTR2/GRAB_084.jpg

Bjoern
March 11th, 2010, 12:00
The XJ220 is one of my faves. But why sell it with ONLY A V6???????????????????????? arrghh... It needed their V12, was designed for the V12, and they went with a V6..

I personally find the engine the best element of the 220. I mean...six cylinders and two turbos? How cool is that?! :d

The V12 was canned because it cost Jaguar way too much money. It also would have been quite heavier than the V6.

My personal record is 230kph on a free stretch of Autobahn in an Audi A4 Avant 2.7 TDI. That thing was so well built that your sense of velocity was surprisingly normal. You could even talk normally inside. And thanks to the high windowline you felt like in a rolling fortress.

A total difference to my mom's Fabia and even to dad's Passat (which I like because of the turbo).

I am still waiting to drive my uncle's '86 911 though...just the sound of that thing is pure sex. :cool: