PDA

View Full Version : autopilot coupled approaches

brettt777
March 8th, 2010, 19:44
I was flying with my boss the other day in a jet (L-39) that I just completed a new avionics upgrade in. We did some coupled ILS approaches to KRMG and then a precision GPS approach to KGAD. It has the usual Garmin 530 WAAS unit, a Trutrak autopilot and Aspen EFD1000s. Anyway I was wondering... I know the FSX planes have a somewhat limited Garmin GPS in alot of them. If a waypoint is selected and the autopilot is in the nav mode it follows the route, etc. Is there a way to couple it to do an ILS approach? I tried it the other day but couldn't get it o work. Did I miss something or is this not possible?

Ken Stallings
March 8th, 2010, 21:36
Well, I am aware of only one 530W modled for FSX and that's the one by RealityX.

I have it and have used it to track the localizer but never the WAAS glideslope to the LPV.

The way the RealityX avionic works is as in real life. You can navigate to the IAP via a direct course or as part of a sequential route leading to the IAF, then load the chosen IAP starting off with the first waypoint after the IAF. The autopilot so coupled to the 530W will navigate to the IAF and then go into the teminal approach mode of operation.

At that point, it will sequence the aircraft through the points used to define the IAP.

If the IAP is not a GPS approach, but rather a LOC or ILS, then you should deselect the GPS guidance on the 530W and go to VLOC. Assuming your autopilot can then track the LOC the aircraft should at least home in on the signal and track it. Again, I never flew an aircraft in FSX with a vertical axis control so I don't know if it can track the glideslope.

Cheers,

Ken

Lionheart
March 8th, 2010, 21:39
Hey Brett,

Yes.

Some systems in sim planes will auto-land. My gauge guru Dwight tuned the Epic LT to basically land with ILS, 'if' the ILS beam is located properly on the FS field and the pilot is using proper throttle.

You mainly need a glideslope and APP option(s) in the avionics sweet of the plane you are flying in. When in range of the runway ILS zone (usually under 10 miles out), you would switch to the airports ILS Freq and go to Approach mode, setting up your CRS needle to the runway heading.

Bill

EDIT: Sorry Ken. I was writing when you were finishing yours.

Ken Stallings
March 8th, 2010, 21:48
No need to apologize. You added additinoal information I was unaware of and frankly more central to the original question.

Cheers,

Ken