PDA

View Full Version : A little bit about Burt Rutan

Lionheart
March 8th, 2010, 01:45
This is a pretty awesome article on Burt.

Cool house he has, built for almost being self sustained. His favorite car was his EV-1 GM Electric car. He loved it. Saddest day was when GM took it away and crushed it.

More here;
http://wattsupwiththat.com/2009/08/16/burt-rutan-engineer-aviationspace-pioneer-and-climate-skeptic/

tigisfat
March 8th, 2010, 18:48
Burt Rutan is one of the last great minds of aviation that is still active. An entire generation of men are mostly gone from the industry, and will be lost to the world in not to many more years. It's a good thing Burt and his brother are only in their sixties...

tigisfat
March 9th, 2010, 21:29
noone? I was hoping to get a good convo started about one of my heroes. oh well. (throws smoke grenade, smoke clears, is gone....)

Lionheart
March 9th, 2010, 23:16
I thought it was well put and didnt need further words added on. Well worded...

He's one of my hero's as well. We will never know really how much work he has actually done in the industry, tuning planes designs, advising on how to handle wing shapes and airframe designs..

His talk at that monthly or yearly 'mensch' brain get-together was incredible, his speach on how gaming has massively impacted the computer industry, how general avitation brought the airplane to where it is today, and how space, if handled the same way, could take the weight off the government and enable space exploration and space craft technology to 'whirlwind' into faster technological advancements in that field.

Incredible guy.

I had seen footage someone took of him when he was flying his balsa model of a dream plane he wanted to make. It was the space craft he 'did' end up making. He got up on one of the roofs of his fascility and through the model off, and it flew great. He looked happy as a 6 year old kid. You could see in his eyes and face, that that simple toy was far more then what you realised and it was working properly in the model...

Pretty cool to see..

Bill

Railrunner130
March 10th, 2010, 05:27
Burt Rutan is one of the great minds of our time.

I'm intrigued by the house. It's somewhat similar to a design I have been knocking around in my head, although mine is more conventional looking.

cheezyflier
March 10th, 2010, 06:10
wanna hear something funny?

i posted the link on another forum, under the title "an interesting read..."

it started a huge argument :icon_lol:

harleyman
March 10th, 2010, 19:03
I have always been a big fan......

Since way back when......:kilroy:

PeteHam
March 11th, 2010, 10:32
Thanks for posting the link.

Burt is a very talented guy :applause:

It's great to see his thoughts debunking the myths on GW.

Pete.